[net.sf-lovers] First SF Book

DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (09/09/85)

From: DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA

   I don't think it is possible to suggest any single book for all
persons.  If you want to successfully introduce one to SF, find out
what aspects of life, the universe, and everything the person is
interested in, then present them with a book having that particular
element.  My wife, for example, thought SF/Fantasy was mindless garbage.
She works as a public health nurse and has a great interest in social
science, community structure & relations, etc.  So about five years
ago I gave her a copy of "Alas, Babylon", a SF-ish novel which does
a fair job of describing the social changes that could occur following
nuclear war.  She loved it.  Next I gave her "Dark December", similar
story but more militaristic.  Same result.  Over the last few years
she has expanded her envelope and "learned" what to expect from SF.
She recently finished "And the Devil Will Drag You Under", "To Reign
in Hell", and "The Forever War".  All in the last two months.
   Similarily, a friend of hers (also a nurse) has become an avid
fan.  The first story I gave her was "Lord Foul's Bane", because I
knew she was deeply interested in people who pull into themselves
when faced with agony and despair (she had devoted her Master's
thesis to terminally ill patients and how they respond to various
pressures they can't control).  Another success story.  She continued
on to devour most of my collection.

   I've introduced a few others, but selected these two examples
because the two were SO against the thought of ever reading SF or
Fantasy.  I was also careful not to take it personally if someone
didn't like a novel I gave them.  Instead I would ask for their
impressions (+ and -), and try again with something else.

   I know there are some good intrductory novels, and some of the
suggestions I have seen I agree with, but I think it is more
important to know both the person and the novel equally well
rather than blindly taking someone's suggestion.

   --jd
-------

Peter.Su@CMU-CS-GANDALF.ARPA (09/11/85)

From: Peter.Su@CMU-CS-GANDALF

I have found that non-SF readers tend to really like Shatterday, by
Harlan Ellison, of course, these are short stories, but what the heck.

Pete
ARPA: hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa      BELL:412-681-7431
UUCP: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cmucspt}!hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa
USPS: 5170 Beeler St., Pittsburgh PA 15213

Funny Quote: "Everyone is trying, to get to a bar,
	      the name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven."
	         - Talking Heads

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (09/16/85)

>    I know there are some good intrductory novels, and some of the
> suggestions I have seen I agree with, but I think it is more
> important to know both the person and the novel equally well
> rather than blindly taking someone's suggestion.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have loaned books to people that love
lots of magic in their books so I would pick something like Magician.
Others read so slowly they get scared by trilogies so I pull out
something like Songmaster.  Frequently only a small percentage of
SF/Fantasy will interest some people and you try to match that
part given what they read now.  Other people will like a large
spectrum of the genre and if you give them a good book will get
hooked.

David Albrecht