Date: Mon 13 Jan 86 11:22:40-EST
From: Christine Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Bitnet Files Updated

    The Bitnet Files have finally been updated.  The Kermsrv File
Server on CUVMA should now be able to supply Bitnet Users with
up to date Kermit Files.  JRD's MS-DOS Kermit is still an
exception;  it will be installed on Bitnet when it becomes the
real MS-DOS Kermit.

    The way to get started with Kermsrv is to issue the following
command to CMS:  "SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV HELP".  If you
haven't used Kermsrv for a while, you may notice that some recent
improvements have been made.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 86 00:24:09 EST
From: John McNamee <jpm@BNL44.ARPA>
Subject: H19 and VT10x emulation

VT10x emulation would be nice, but not at the expense of H19. When you're
talking to a host at 1200 baud the goal is to reduce the number of characters
sent. VT10x is so verbose that operation at low speeds is painful. So go
ahead and add VT10x emulation, but leave H19 for those of us still using
dialup lines.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86 12:25:20 EST
From: Ivan Auger <augeri%rpics.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: VT102 vs H19 support...

I never use kermit's H19 support, instead I use a VT102 emulator that allows
me to run kermit without exiting the program.  So, if H19 support is dropped,
we won't suffer at all.  (By the way, I also use emacs and haven't had any
trouble with VT100 emulators except that it is a good program to find bugs
in this emulators).
Ivan Auger, NYS Dept. of Health

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 9 Jan 86 19:11 EST
From:     LBAFRIN%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject:  More on VT102 emulation in MS-Kermit

Hmmmm... Just read the latest digest.  Seems I came out sounding more
vehement than I intended.  Now that I've had a chance to put my brain in
gear *first* (before my fingers take off), I can say what I meant to say in
my previous msg: MS-Kermit would be much better off with the VT102's set of
capabilities rather than the H-19's set.  Uh, that means "conceptual set,"
as in, "Make the Kermit emulator do what DECL claims the VT102 can do
*minus* all the implementation deficiencies in DEC's VT102, such as the
XON/XOFF problem."  I was unaware that the XON/XOFF business is a problem to
some users, and now that I am aware of it, I have to agree that if the
Kermit implementation of VT102 is going to include deficiencies such as
that, then we're better off with H-19.

There!  Doesn't that sound nicer?

                                        -- Larry Afrin
                                           Dept. of Computer Science
                                           Clemson University

------------------------------

From: Roy Stehle <stehle@sri-tsc>
Date: 10 Jan 1986 1519-PST (Friday)
Subject: h19 support necessary

I would like to request that h19 support remain in MS-Kermit.

I am working on a VAX running 4.2 BSD UNIX.  The text editor that I use (e)
does not have a termcap for the VT-10X.  There may be some time in the
future that the editor will be enhanced to use the standard UNIX termcap,
but I can't count on that.

We have many h19 terminals in our company and rely heavily on their
compatibility with existing software.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 86 15:31:02 pst
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West @ CACI)
Subject: MS-Dos terminal emulation

VT100 is fine.  VT102 is better, and the standard for Terminal emulators.
Junk the H-19.  Any system that can handle it can handle the VT100, but not
vice versa.

If only a partial emulation is done, make sure it is an innocuous one.  The
MacKermit 0.8 is unreadable when switched to "bold"; fortunately, most
systems don't use this.

Also, for VMS users, a VT100-style keypad mapping would be real handy.  I
have a public domain Macintosh desk accessory (off the net) for those times
I need one under VMS.

	Joel West	 CACI, Inc. Federal, La Jolla
PS:

> Date: Tue, 24 Dec 85 22:01 EST
> From: Larry Afrin <lbafrin%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
> Subject: My Two Cents on the MS-Kermit 2.28 jrd "Display Problem"
>
>    I saw in the Digest a couple of msgs, one from Kathleen <last name?> and
> one from Mike Iglesias, re "display problems" with MS-Kermit 2.28 jrd on old
> (16K/64K motherboard) and Compaqs.  I don't know about the Compaq side of
> the issue, but I'm also running 2.28 jrd on a 16K/64K vintage 1981 IBM PC,
> and I have had no hint of any display problems since I first assembled and
> installed the program.

This is probably what we have on our Compaq 286, and it's no figment of our
imagination.  We used the straight IBM .exe (nothing to do with source)
under MSDOS 3.x, and other than that, have no problems.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 86 20:11:04 PST
From: rag@uw-june.arpa (David Ragozin)
Subject: H19 emulation in ms-dos kermit

Although I can't speak for the comuputing center here at the University of
Washington, I can say that our instructional computing system is heavily
dependent on h19 and z-29 terminals.  Most instructional computing uses a
screen editor, which has been optimized for this h19 environment.  As a
result, the h19 emulation in kermit has been a very appealing aspect.

Although I personally think the vt102 emulation would be quite nice to have,
and it is desired by our Engineering College computing group, I would hope
that some options could be maintained.  The idea of having some generic
terminal emulator modules, which could then hook into specific terminal
emulator modules at compile time might be a way to go.

As you also may recall, some of our staff created a very bare bones
tektronics 4010 emulator which is invoked when heath mode is off, and the
tektronics graphics code is received.  I forwarded this code to you some
time ago. Hopefully we will be able, without too much change, to repeat this
graphics terminal extention with whatever new version you release.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86 16:45:32 PST
From: walton%Deimos@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
Subject: Kermit under MS Windows

Since Microsoft Windows claims to allow programs to run which are TopView
aware, I thought I would try the version of MS-Kermit V2.28 jrd which
supports TopView.  I used the PIF file entries advised in
PS:<KERMIT-MS>MSVIBM.TOP.  The resultant program runs fine under Windows,
except for the fact that the update to the screen after a CONNECT command is
painfully slow--about equal to the speed of a 300 baud modem connection.
Oddly enough, the program does not exhibit this behavior in local mode,
after a DIR command to Kermit-MS for example.  I have looked at the source
code, but don't know enough about the TopView interface to understand how it
works.  Both the TopView and normal versions of MS-Kermit run equally
quickly when run as standalone programs under normal DOS, so I would have no
objection to the TopView version becoming the standard one.

By the way, I built my Kermit from source using MASM Version 4.00.  Using
EXEPACK reduced the size of the executable file from 43,000 bytes to
32,000 (when the modules were linked in the order given in MSKERM.MAK).

					Steve Walton
					Caltech Solar Astronomy
					walton%deimos@cit-hamlet.arpa
					walton@citdeimo.bitnet
					...!ucbvax!cithep!hamlet#walton@deimos

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 86 01:32:47 CST
From:  PAVTMIKE%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Dr. Michael J. Dyrenfurth)
Subject: Looking for Apple II CP/M Kermit Diskette

Although I have REALLY tried in this region, I have been unable to
secure a working copy of Kermit-80 that runs on my Apple IIe (c/w PCPI CPM
card, Videx Ultra-term 80/160 column card, Hayes 1200 smartmoden, Apple super
serial card).  I desperately need to get 1200 baud CPM communication up.
Is there any way that I can buy a working disk from someone?  I also need
a version that works with a II+ (cw the ALS Smartterm 80 column card, the
Micro-soft CPM card, and Apple Super serial card)

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 86 05:15:29 GMT
From: Dennis Bednar <rlgvax!dennis@SEISMO.CSS.GOV>
Subject: XON/XOFF Deadlock between vt100 and Hayes Modem

Kermit XON/XOFF Deadlock Bug Caused by Hayes Command Echo Enabled

	I recently ran into a problem of kermit "locking" up sometimes
when using a Hayes Smartmodem, and I thought I would share it with the
net.

	Well, I looked into this problem and found that it was caused
by me connecting to the Hayes modem directly, and and accidently
typing control-s (XOFF).  The ^S was passed through as data to the
modem.  At this time, I had set the Hayes dip switch to enable echoing
during Hayes command mode, merely for convenience to me. This led to
an XON/XOFF deadlock problem between the vt100 and the Hayes
Smartmodem.

Repeat by:
	# this is a comment
	# enter C-Kermit command mode
	set modem dir	# kermit command to say direct hardwired line
	# I know, I know, C-kermit's dial command will interact
	# with the Hayes, and this problem will not occur if I
	# use the kermit "dial" command, but I was just experimenting.
	set esc 1
	connect
	# kermit connects your terminal to the modem now
	# Now type AT several times, and verify that the OK prompt appears.
	# Now type control-s.
	# Now type AT, but you don't see OK.
	# In fact nothing you type is sent.  This problem assumes that your
	# terminal understands that ^S inhibits the terminal kb's from
	# sending on the tty line.

You MAY NOT BELIEVE THIS, BUT THE THE HAYES ALSO ECHOED the control-s!!!!!!!
Therefore the ^S typed on my keyboard was passed through kermit, echoed by
the modem, and passed back through kermit, and sent to my terminal screen.
This caused my vt100 terminal's KBD LOCKED (Keyboard Locked) LED to turn on.
If you try typing ^Q to break the problem, your terminal does not transmit
it, because output is inhibited until ^Q is received from the host, which
cannot happen, so you are deadlocked.  Fortunately, since I was using a
vt100 terminal, I merely pressed the SET-UP key twice, which turned off the
KBD LOCKED light. For an ignorant user, this could be bad.

Best solution: Disable Hayes echoing during command mode, and this problem
cannot occur.

Dennis Bednar	Computer Consoles Inc.	Reston VA	703-648-3300
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis dennis@rlgvax.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: 10-JAN-1986 16:39:18
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Bug fix for Prime Kermit server mode

Here's a fix I had sent in for bug in Prime Kermit causing it to NAK an I
packet instead of sending an Error. Will get through the backlog of bug reports
and such over the next week or so if the link stays going!

         Alan

  Date : 10 January 1986
  From : Rick Burne, Ealing College of Higher Education, London UK
  Subject : Bug in Prime KERMIT in server mode

In server mode PRIME KERMIT responds to an I packet with a NAK rather than
anything sensible such as a qualified ACK or an error packet. This should be
fixed in the next release from The Source, but in the meantime here is a quick
edit to make it respond with an error packet.

File MSG_TYPES.PLP

Around line 24, insert a line
           MSG_INIT by 'I'         /* Init-info packet */
after the line
           MSG_EOF by 'Z'          /* End of file (EOF) */

File SERVER.PLP

Around line 225, insert a new clause in the main do while loop:
          when (MSG-INIT) do;
            snd_msg = 'Unimplemented server command';
            call send_packet('E',length(snd_msg),msg_number);
          end;
before the line
          end;    /* select */

File REC_MESSAGE.PLP