Date: 28 JAN 86 17:19-EST
From: CHRIS%BINGVAXB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: 7171 warning

Just a note on using MSKERMIT 2.28 and CMS Kermit thru a 7171 - I thought
I was going nuts!  Everybody's been saying how great it is, etc, etc...
Well, the first thing I HAD to do was setup the ports of the 7171 to what
I thought was 8 data, no parity, 1 stop bit.  Then setup MSKermit in the
same manner (no parity) - all looked fine, till I tried to transfer files,
then NOTHING!!!  All it did was hang - no communication at all.  Then I tried
it on Port 0 (this is always even parity) and everything was fine. To make
a short story long, I set parity SPACE in MSKermit and all was ok from there.
In fact its great! I've defined all the function keys, etc. to my liking - by
the way, did you know that putting comments in a TAKE file effects the define
key area (as in eats ups space!), I found out the hard way (Again).
Hope I can save someone some time with this note....
     chris@bingvaxa.bitnet

[Ed. - We have also found that 7171's do not like bursts of characters
longer than about 60.  Kermit programs should have their packet lengths
set accordingly.]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 1986 10:58-EST
From: Israel.Pinkas@ISL1.RI.CMU.EDU
Subject: Strange cursor

I am running MS-Kermit 2.28 on an IBM-PC with a Hercules card.  A
number times I have noticed that my underline cursor has changed to a
minus sign.  This behavior is very annoying.  Does anyone know what
might be causeing this?  I should point out that exiting and running
most programs will not fix the problem.  The only fix I know is running
MODE or rebooting.  Also, using the commands to change to a block
cursor and back will change to a block cursor, but return to the minus
instead of the underline.  The switchover always occurs when connected,
but I have not discovered what will cause the change.

-Israel (igp@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)

[Ed. - See next message.]

------------------------------

Date: 29 JAN 86 10:09-MST
From: JRD@USU
Subject: Hercules Card

Hercules graphic adaptor and minus sign cursor. That appears very much like
the bug in DOS itself whereby at startup time the cursor characteristics are
copied from ROM to RAM, but not consistently. The RAM copy can be bad for
a while; if a program picks up the characteristics it may see a minus sign
rather than an underline. There was an article (note really) on exactly this
problem published in PC Tech Journal about one or two months ago. The root
of the problem is the scan line numbers of the cursor are smaller on color
boards (&compats) than on the monochrome adapter. Thus, color board cursor
line numbers end up as a minus sign on the monochrome adapter. How one boots
will determine the presence or absence of the minus sign cursor. A patch is
in the PC Tech note.
        Regards,
        Joe D.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 86 20:48:37 est
From: biomed!simon%wjh12.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Simon Rosenthal)
Subject: Problem with Issuing Remote Host Commands from VMS Kermit

I am having some trouble with VMS Kermit (3.1.066), running under VMS
3.7. When using it in local mode to talk to C-Kermit running in server
mode on a Masscomp system - (basically SYS V Unix), VMS Kermit insists
on uppercasing the text of any command sent to the server using REMOTE
HOST, according to the debugging log.  Needless to say, the Unix end
doesn't like this at all ...  Is there a Kermit-32 command I'm missing
which will force VMS Kermit to send out exactly what I type, or is this
a misfeature I'll have to live with?

Simon Rosenthal <simon@biomed.UUCP>

[Ed. - I'm pretty sure this is a feature you have to live with.  I'll
pass your message on to the Stevens folks.]

------------------------------

Date: 28-JAN-1986 10:07:47
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Kermits on the way to you.....

A tape is on its way to you today with a good crop of new Kermits on it.
There's a letter with the tape, but briefly here's what to expect:

   Version 1.30 of Kermit for Acorn BBC micro
   Version 2.1 of Kermit for GEC 4000 series
   New Kermit for Joyce-Loebl Magiscan 2 image processor. This is a UCSD
     p-System machine: the Kermit is based on UCT for Terak, and has had
     8 bit prefixing and some other things added that will be of interest
     to UCSD Kermit users in general
   Kermit for Honeywell MultiSystem Executive and clones under Concurrent
     CP/M-86
   Kermit for a U-Microcomputers U-MAN 1000 micro under CP/M-68k
   Updated version of Chris Kennington's high-portability C Kermit
   A number of new CP/M-80 Kermits, (CP4SYS, TYP and HEX files) for
          Acorn BBC micro with Z80 processor
          North Star Horizon using onboard serial ports rather than SIO board
          North Star Advantage
          Cromemco
          Apple II with Z80 Softcard and CPS card
          Superbrain using auxiliary port, and using main port
          Torch series
          Cifer 1886
          Research Machines RM380Z

Kermit for Amstrad series micros running CP/M-80 is on the way but hasn't
arrived in time to make this tape.

Full details will be in with the tape.

Have passed your message re CP/M to Bertil. Am having mailer trouble (again)
but will try hard to get his reply to you.

           Alan

[Ed. - We will announce these versions when they arrive.]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jan 86 15:36:52 PST
From: MOORE@IBM-SJ.ARPA
Subject: Modem7/Kermit for Vector V3-5030?

Does anyone have modem7 and/or kermit for the Vector V3-5030 (CP/M 2.2)
on the ferschlugginer 16-sector (hard) 5.25" floppy?  Please reply to

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 86 10:19:08 est
From: Hal Carter <cpm@AFIT-AB.ARPA>
Subject: KERMIT for CPM3.0 Osborne Executive?

 Is there a version of KERMIT that works on an Osborne Executive.
I've tried the generic CPM 3.0 version, but nothing goes out the
AUX port to my modem.  (I have a Prometheus ProModem, and Modem 740
works fine).

Thanks for any leads.

cpm@WPAFB-AFITA.ARPA

[Ed. - See next message.]

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 8 Jan 86 12:28 EST
From:  "Paul E. Woodie" <Woodie@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject:  Kermit/Osborne Executive

I recently noticed a request on this mailing list for a version of
kermit to run on the Osborne Executive.  I have an Executive and tried
unsuccessfully to get several different cpm3 'generic' versions to run.
I don't know if my failure was due to equipment bugs in my particular
system, operator error on my part, or what.  In any case I finally got a
'generic' version from simtel20 written in turbo pascal.  That also (of
course) did not run completely on my system.  However, I modified it to
directly address the SIO ports instead of using the built-in AUX port of
the 'generic' versions.  Now it runs just fine.

I would be happy to share it with anyone interested.  I haven't so far
because I thought that maybe I had a flaky piece of hardware and my
problems were unique.

--Paul Woodie (Woodie.CPE at dockmaster)

[Ed. - Hope you can submit this to an Osborne User's Group?]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 29 Jan 86 07:39 EST
From:  CDTAXW%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Alpha-Micro Kermit

Is anyone running Kermit on an Alpha-Micro with AMOS
V1.3(123)?  Assembly was no problem, but it just refuses
to recognize the AMOS version as valid.  I would appreciate
any patches or comments on this frustrating problem.

mark johnson,
university of notre dame

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 86 07:25 EST
From: LBAFRIN%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Proper credit

For the record, I would like to remind Info-Kermit that the bug in
C-Kermit 4C(057) CKFNS.C regarding reof()'s forgetting to return a
value (as reported by Kevin Ashley (cziwtml@uk.ac.qec.w) in the latest
Info-Kermit) was first reported several months ago by a colleague of
mine here at Clemson University, William Faulkner (puppy@clemson.csnet).
Frank da Cruz had noted that Faulkner's suggested fix would be installed
in 4C(057).  Was this not done?

As an aside, I find it amusing that both Faulkner and Ashley used *exactly*
the same fix, derived independently of each other, I am sure.

                                        -- Larry Afrin

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------