                  List of commercial KERMIT products
         VMS C-Kermit fails to provide interactive subprocess
        7171 Entry for Macintosh (VT100 without highlighting)
                       Kermit over LAN gateways
                         MS-Kermit Suggestion
                       Olivetti Keyboard Layout
                       Kermit for Victor/Sirius
                         Re: Strange Cursors
                         Osborne Exec Kermit

Date: Wed 5 Feb 86 18:56:38-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: TSO and VMS Kermit fixes

Received from Jim Noble, Planning Research Corp, McLean VA -- some fixes
for VMS Kermit and MVS/TSO Kermit.  In KER:VMSMIT.BWR and KER:TSOKERM.BWR,
respectively.  The TSO fix is allow assembly under IFOX00 (whatever that is).
The VMS changes are mostly bug fixes.

------------------------------

From gjc@LMI-ANGEL.ARPA  Sat Feb  1 09:44:01 1986 remote from angel
Date: Saturday, 1 February 1986, 09:42-EST
From: George Carrette <angel!gjc@LMI-ANGEL.ARPA>

A new kermit is on the way, derived from LMI KERMIT: MACLISP KERMIT for
PDP-10 Maclisp. (Runs under the ITS and TOPS-20 operating systems).
More info to follow. -gjc (GJC-AT-LMI@MIT-MC)

------------------------------

Date: Sun 2 Feb 86 12:25:30-EST
From: EXT1.FARHAD@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU
Subject: List of commercial KERMIT products

I submit the following list of commercially avaiable MS-DOS VT100/TK4010 (&
Macintosh) terminal emulation programs with KERMIT protocol.  Nearly all
support also XModem.  Not all available features of each product are listed,
and some listed options are $EXTRA.  Nearly all are written to run on PC/XT/AT
and compatibles, and some may run additionally specifically on PCjr, Zenith,
Wang, etc.  Some support internal modems.  One product may zoom/pan, another
may save/restore graphics screens, still another may autoswitch text/graphics
modes, etc.

For more info about any of these products, one should call the vendor(s)
directly, but I would welcome comments from people here at Columbia or
elsewhere who have actually used these or similar products.

- Farhad
Nuclear Science & Engineering
Columbia University, NYC
EXT1.FARHAD@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

Caveat-&-Disclaimer: This short list is based on preliminary data and is
submitted for informational purposes only.  It is extracted from recent data
published elsewhere and is by no means claimed to be complete or accurate.

TELEPHONE    LIST VENDOR                 PRODUCT     EMULATION(S)

[MS-DOS:]
608-273-6000 $295 Persoft                SmarTerm240 VT52/100/125/220/240, and
                                                     TK4010/4014
303-690-6279  250 Henson Systems         CRTXE       VT52/100, 20 others, and
                                                     (soon:) TK4010, ReGIS
212-777-6707  249 Coefficient Systems    VTerm/4010  VT100, TK4010
617-367-6846  195 Boston Software Works  LC-Term     VT100
212-777-6707  160 Coefficient Systems    VTerm III   VT100
615-376-4146  150 Scientific Endeavors   VTEK        VT52/100, TK4010,4014
604-732-7411  150 KEA Systems            ZSTEMpc     VT100, TK4010
617-576-2760  124 Mark of the Unicorn    PCIntercom  VT100
617-659-1571   85 Solution Systems       ZAP         VT52/100, TK4010
215-664-4914   70 Cheshire Cat Software  Zap         VT52/100

[Apple Macintosh:]
603--673-8151 $195 White Pine Software   Mac240      VT100/220, ReGIS

[Ed. - Kermit is appearing in more and more commercial communications programs,
and soon we'll have quite a few of them with sliding windows too -- Crosstalk
among them.  Most of these companies have agreed in writing to comply with the
conditions given in our "Policy on Commercial Use and Distribution of Kermit"
flyer (KER:AAXCOM.DOC), which means that purchasers of these products should be
getting the Kermit component "free".]

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 86 15:08:00 EST
From: "NUNN, JOHN C." <nunn@nbs-vms.ARPA>
Subject: VMS C-Kermit fails to provide interactive subprocess

The VMS implementation of C-Kermit does not provide an interactive
subshell (subprocess for VMS) for the "!" command.  This problem can
be corrected by making the changes shown below.

[Ed. - Code omitted, added to KER:CKVKER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Feb 86 08:24:29-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: 7171 Entry for Macintosh (VT100 without highlighting)

BY popular demand, here is the 7171 code to support Macintosh
Kermit's VT-102 emulator:

* MODULE NAME = VT100					     *
VT-100	 TERM  GENI,ORIGIN=X'01',RCHRS=GENSRCHS,FLAGS=X'0C00'
VTCSS1	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,(CHARY),SEMI,(CHARX),H	* POSITION
VTCSS2	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,K		* ERASE EOL
VTCSS3	 CSS   ,			*
VTCSS4	 CSS   BEL			* TONE
VTCSS5	 CSS   BS			* CURSOR LEFT
VTCSS6	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,C		* CURSOR RIGHT
VTCSS7	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,A		* CURSOR UP
VTCSS8	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,B		* CURSOR DOWN
VTCSS9	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,@1,LCQ	* SIGNAL INSERT MODE
VTCSS10	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,@0,LCQ	* SIGNAL END INSERT MODE
VTCSS11	 CSS   ,			*
VTCSS12	 CSS   ESC,LBRACK,H,ESC,LBRACK,J	* CLEAR
VTCSS13	 EQU   *
	 CSS '\=\<\[H\[J\[?1h\[?3;6;7l\[20l\[0q\[0m'
VTCSS14	 CSS COLON			*
VTCSS15	 CSS   ,			*
VTCSS16	 CSS   ,			*
VTCSS17	 CSS   ,			*
VTCSS18	 CSS ESC,LBRACK,(CHARFLD),LCM	*
VTCSS19	 CSS   ,			*
*
* Macintosh PC running Kermit (VT100 w/out highlighting	     *
MAC	 TERM  GENI,ORIGIN=X'01',RCHRS=GENSRCHS
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS1
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS2
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS3
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS4
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS5
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS6
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS7
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS8
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS9
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS10
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS11
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS12
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS13
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS14
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS15
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS16
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS17
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS18
	 CSS   EQU=VTCSS19
*

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 1986 15:51 EDT
From:         Bill Seeley <WAS@UMAB>
Subject:      Kermit over LAN gateways

I think the fundamental problem with using Kermit across a LAN gateway
will not be with Kermit per se.  The basic problem seems to be that
most gateway systems require the user to run an application in his/her
workstation in order to communicate across the LAN to the gateway server.
Once a port is allocated on the gateway server, there must be some way
to re-direct Kermit's I/O from COMn: to the communication channel provided
by the server.  I believe Bridge Communications has a product for 3COM
Ethernets in beta test which claims to support "COM1 re-direction."
Ungermann-Bass' Net/One also claims to support a similar function using
a variant of MS-NETWORKS.  I'm curious to know if anyone else out there
has experience using Kermit with these or similar products.  If you would
publish this in your Info-Kermit newsletter I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Bill

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 86 23:14:30 PST
From: Samuel_Lam%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MS-Kermit Suggestion

It would be nice if MS-Kermit would use an DOS environment variable to locate
it's profile (MSKERMIT.INI), so that Kermit can be invoked from various
sub-directories of a hard disk with only *one* copy of the profile stored on
the hard disk.  Alternately, MS-Kermit could employ the search PATH used by DOS
for it's command files.

An example of how the former scheme would work is:

A>SET MSKERMIT=C:\COMM\KERMIT

The above should make MS-Kermit use C:\COMM\KERMIT as its profile if
C:\COMM\KERMIT is a file, but use C:\COMM\KERMIT\MSKERMIT.INI if C:\COMM\KERMIT
is a sub-directory.  This shceme would allow the user to specify not only a
sub-directory, but optionally also the exact name of the profile, all in one
DOS environment variable.

The specification of the scheme may sound complicative at first glance, but it
really is quite intuitive when it is in use.

...Sam Lam

[From jrd -- Path searches really ought to be done I suppose; it just takes
some time to write the code to a) test if DOS found a file on its own and b)
chugging down the PATH= string trying the selections. I sort of put this into
category B, do when time is available, together with things like redefinable
keys at the Kermit prompt level. A directly usable Kermit seems more important
than waiting for the endless series of 'frills' to be added.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 86  11:00 EST
From: E. Thaler, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ( ETH Zuerich )
Subject: Olivetti Keyboard Layout

Hello

We got and installed your Kermit Version 2.27 for Olivetti M24 with
VT 100 emulation. It works fine.

We are using a keyboard of swiss-german type with a different keyboard
layout. To display the appropriate characters, we need to adapt
the keyboard-driver program (KBDVT100).
Is it possible to get the source of the keyboard-driver?

[Ed. - Sorry, this version came via slow boat from Australia.
It would take longer to get this program then it would be to
wait for the next version of MS-DOS Kermit (2.29).]

------------------------------

Date: 29-JAN-1986 13:19:14
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Kermit for Victor/Sirius

It may not be a good idea to remove SIR files just yet. Over here there
have been a lot of changes in Sirius/Victor dealerships, resulting in long
periods when no-one seemed to want to sell anything for them. Result is that
MS-DOS 2 is not, I think, that common - and MS-Kermit won't support MS-DOS 1.
I've put out a question in our UK info digest asking Sirius users for comments,
and I'll get back to you.
                  Alan

[Ed. - Don't worry, we won't delete the old stuff until we're sure it's safe.]

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 31 Jan 1986 10:33 EST
From:         Nick Gimbrone <NJG@CORNELLA>
Subject:      Re: Strange Cursors

Can someone append the fix for the minus sign cursor seen on MSKermit for those
of us that do no have access to PC Tech J.?

------------------------------

From: dolqci!irsdcp!albers@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date:  Wed Feb 5 17:26:01 EST 1986
Subject: Osborne Exec Kermit

I have managed to get Kermit running on the Exec via generic CP/M 3.0, and I
will try over this weekend to duplicate it, although it was done useing an
older version of Kermit.  I will forward the results to the list.

I am, however, VERY interested in the Turbo Kermit mentioned, and if the
sender of that note would contact me, I would like to get a copy.  I will
submit it to the local OUG (Capitol Osborne User's Group), and I am sure
CapOUG will forward it to FOG (First Osborne Group).

                                                         Jon

~ Addresses:  USnail: IRS, 1111 Constitution Ave. NW   Washington, DC 20224  ~
~             Atten: Jon Albers, Room 6335 D:C:P                             ~
~          Office Number Down Under: (202)566-5240   (FTS)566-5240           ~
~      UUCP:  .....seismo!dolqci!irsdcp!albers (3rd floor Zilog: Down Under) ~
~      ARPA:  JALBERS@SIMTEL20.ARPA                                          ~

[Ed. - If you do manage to track it down and submit it to the User Group,
please let us know so we can add it to the list of diskette sources.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------