Date: 20 Feb 1986 1400-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.28/jrd5b

If anybody wants to try out the current iteration of Joe Doupnik's MS-DOS
Kermit, for the IBM PC family (& clones) only, with VT52, H19, VT100, VT102
emulation built in, plus the ability to set foreground & background color
on color monitors.  No real documentation is available yet, but you can use
question mark at command level to find out what the new commands are.  A
couple commands have changed, so your MSKERMIT.INI file might need some
changes:

SET AUTOWRAP has become SET TERMINAL WRAP (but see below)
SET HEATH has become SET TERMINAL HEATH (or VT100, or VT102, etc)

The following bugs have been observed, so you don't need to report them:

1. SET TERMINAL WRAP command doesn't work (doesn't parse).
   The actual wrap mechanism seems to work OK, but can only be turned on
   and off by escape sequences.

2. There's no help for SET TERMINAL COLOR command (it takes two numbers
   in the range 0-7 as arguments, e.g. SET TERM COLOR 4,2).

3. Insert char in H19 or VT102 mode displays garbage instead of the inserted
   characters.

4. When you change colors, the background color is not set until after the
   screen is cleared the first time, but the foreground color is set.

This version is in PS:<KERMIT-MS>MSJRD5B.BOO (and .EXE for those who can
transfer 8-bit binary files), available, as usual via anonymous FTP from CU20B.
Please report any additional bugs to me, and I'll relay them to Joe.
Meanwhile, the program seems to be highly usable on the IBM PC family for most
applications, emulating any of the above terminals, so those of you who have
been hankering for VT10x emulation might be able to get by with this version
until the final release.  I'll also put the MSJRD5B.BOO file in KERMSRV on
CUVMA for BITNET access.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 1986 0900-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>
Subject: CP/M Kermit Announcements from Last Digest

Apologies to everyone who tried to get any of the five new CP/M Kermit .HEX
files announced in the last digest.  The first group, from Bob LaFara, was
there, but not as advertised; the filenames were changed somewhat from those
listed in Bob's message:

Machine          Bob's Name      Stored As:

Access-Matrix    CP4ACC.HEX      CP4ACC.HEX   (no change)
ACT Discovery    CP4DISC.HEX     CP4DIS.HEX   (shortened to 6.3)
PMM Micromate    CP4MM.HEX       CP4PMM.HEX   (to avoid confusion)

The source for these files has been added to the "beware" file, KER:CP4KER.BWR.

The other two,

Epson PX8 Portable               CP4PX8.HEX
Research Machines 380Z           CP438M.HEX

were lost somehow.  They have been restored (thanks to Alan Phillips for
sending them again).  Since we're without a real CP/M-80 Kermit maintainer,
all new CP/M systems will have to be supported this way, i.e. installation
of the .HEX files, without corresponding change to the source.  I hope to
inveigle someone into taking over CP/M-80 Kermit maintenance to the extent of
making one last pass through the source, so that the program can be organized
in such a way as to take advantage of the MODEM overlays.  Any volunteers?

------------------------------

Date: 14-FEB-1986 16:03:28
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: MS-Kermit for Sirius/Victor on Available Disc in the UK

I can now supply MS-Kermit 2.28 on disc for the Sirius/Victor to anyone
wanting it in the UK. As before, e-mail address is SYSKERMIT@LANCS.VAX1, phone
is 0524-65201 x 4881.
              Alan Phillips

[Ed. - Thanks!  Are there any other public spirited volunteers willing to
supply Kermit on native media for their machines, or to submit them to user
groups who can?]

------------------------------

Date: 18 FEB 86 09:58-PST
From: DON@UCRVMS.BITNET
Subject: QK-Kermit Report

Problems and bug report on the new QKERMIT in turbo pascal:

   VT100 terminal emulation has some problems
     Does not respond to DEC VMS set term/inquire.
     Has problems with the "TAB" character expansion.

   Something is wrong with the kermit handshaking (program waits until
   host times out then sends next packet) (each packet took about
   5 seconds to send).

            Don Jenkins  DON@UCRVMS (bitnet)
            University of California, Riverside
            Academic Computing Center

[Ed. - See below.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Feb 86 20:22:01-CST
From: Pete Galvin <CC.GALVIN@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>

I transfered the sources for QKKERMIT and compiled a version under MSDOS 3.1,
trying to build a VT100 version.  The compile went fine, and on startup
QKKERMIT claims I have VT100 emulation.  Unfortunately, when I dial in to the
DEC-20 on campus, almost no VT100-hood can be seen in the program: blanking the
screen and deleting characters works fine, but invoking any editor produces
"random" results.  Mostly, the screen blanks a lot during the display of text
or prompts, and the cursor stays near the top of the screen.

I'm hoping someone will point out the silly mistake I made an tell me how to
get a working VT100 emulator up.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Pete Galvin, U of Texas

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 86 14:06 EST
From: VIC@QUCDN
Subject: Reply to QK-Kermit Bugs

     I think my choice of names for the various protocols was bad. You
should not be using the Xon-Xoff with a Dec20. The Xon-Xoff refers only to
the funny IBM way of using Xon-Xoff. What I called "SERIES/1" protocol
should be used by most computers.  I am considering to change the name
of the protocol to something less confusing; but I am afraid that the
name may also have to be quite meaningless.

     It appears that my VT100 emulation is not complete enough for most
DEC users, although it is sufficient our needs. I will try add some of
the missing features as soon as possible.  Your feed back of the problems
will help me decide what features are most needed.

[Ed. - Victor has also sent in a hex file for the Kaypro II since the
last digest.  It's in KER:QKCPK2.HEX.  Remember, this is a straight
hexadecimal encoding of the .COM file, not an Intel format .HEX file to
be used with the CP/M LOAD command.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 18 Feb 86 10:39:09-EST
From: Michael Fuchs <EXT1.FUCHS@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: IBM PC - Tek 4010/4014 emulation beta offer (w/ Kermit)

Would anyone be interested in beta testing our latest version of a product
that does Tektronix 4010/4014 emulation (with EGA support) as well as VT102,
VT52, file transfer (Kermit, Xmodem, propietary protocols), 132 columns in
software (or optional hardware), old screen recall, programmable softkeys,
etc.?

If so, please contact (by voice only, please):

John Bailin
Coefficient Systems Corporation
212/777-6707

Please do not mail replies to this account (it's his project!)

Michael Fuchs
Coefficient Systems Corp.

------------------------------

Date: 16 Feb 1986 0825-EST
From: LCG.CUSTOMER@MARLBORO.DEC.COM
Subject: Mac Kermit vs Printer Port?

There is a bug in MacKermit 0.8(33).  If the modem port is in use by a hard
disk (Tecmar for example), there is no way to use MacKermit as it generates
an error message indicating that the port is in use and then exits.  It does
not permit the user to use the printer port instead.  Do you have a patch to
get around this problem???

[Ed. - From one of the authors of Mac Kermit: "The ability to use the printer
port is not supported -- it was something we were going to put in but never got
around to.  Since I ordered a Tecmar I'll probably get around to fixing this.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 16:29:36 EST
From: munnari!moncskermit.oz!john@seismo.CSS.GOV (John Carey)
Subject: C-Kermit bug on Pyramid 90x

I have discovered a bug sending more than one file using C-Kermit 4c(056)
on a Pyramid 90X, e.g.

        kermit -s file1 file2 ...

The first file is sent ok - but the others are not.

Here is the fix to "ckcpro.w" - sfile() has a parameter which was not used:

<sseof>Y  { if (gnfile() > 0) {         /* Got ACK to EOF, get next file */
                if (sfile(xeof)) BEGIN ssdata;  /* <---- parameter added */

This may cause problems on other machines that a have different
stack aritecture from the VAX.

                                John Carey.
                                john%monu1.oz@seismo.arpa

End of Info-Kermit Digest