Date: 1986 Feb 27   19:31 EST
From: John F. Chandler <PEPMNT@HARVARDA.BITNET>
Subject: Kermit for the HP2647

There is now a Kermit available for the HP2647 "Rover" programmable graphics
terminal, with or without tape units, written in 8080 assembler.  It
supports data compression and interaction with servers.  The executable
module is in the form of a long ESCAPE sequence that drives the resident
loader.  After being loaded it can be invoked as needed by typing 'kermit'
in command mode.  This Kermit can probably be adapted to run on other HP264x
models.  Source and documentation are available through KERMSRV.

John F. Chandler
Harvard/Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

[Ed. - The program, hex file, and documentation are in KER:HP264X.* on CU20B
(anonymous FTP) and HP2647X * on KERMSRV at CUVMA (BITNET).]

------------------------------

DATE: 21-FEB-1986
FROM: BRIAN@UOFT02
SUBJECT: NEW KERMIT-11

New Kermit-11 on dialup and bitnet from U of Toledo

 A new version (2.45) of Kermit-11 is available.  The  literal  list  of
changes  is  too long, but major things are: long packets, dial command,
set dial  commands  (for  adding  modems),  set  phone  number  command,
further  TSX+  mods,  new  install  and  user  doc.  Edit  history is in
K11CMD.MAC

 This  version  should  not  be  sent  to  Columbia  yet as it is highly
desirable  to  test  long  packet  support  against  a  different  Kermit
implementation.  Additionally,  there  are  a  couple of very soon to be
resolved issues regarding P/OS v3. I am also awaiting a task  image  for
IAS 3.2 update C.

Bitnet access:
from VM/CMS:    CP SMSG RSCS MSG UOFT02 KERMSRV DIR
                CP SMSG RSCS MSG UOFT02 KERMSRV SEND K11*.*
from VMS Jnet:  $ SEN/REM UOFT02 KERMSRV SEND K11*.*

dialup: (419) 537-4411
        Service class  VX785A
        User: KERMIT
        Password: KERMIT

[Ed. - Thanks!  We will announce Brian's new release when we
receive it at Columbia.]

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 22-FEB-1986 15:32 MST
From:     <PETERSONB@BYUVAX>
Subject:  VICTOR 9000 KERMIT updates

I apologize to anyone who may be using the VICTOR 9000 Kermit for the bug
in the mode line during file transfers.  It was a severe oversight on my
part.  I am forwarding corrected versions of MSXV90.ASM, MSYV90.ASM, and
MSYV9T.ASM to Columbia U. to replace the ones with the bug.

[Ed. - The new files in KER:MS*V9*.* on CU20B and on BITNET
(without the KER:)]
In addition, since I was working on it anyway, I have cleaned up the
character set on the Tektronix emulation a little bit to make the lower-case
letters more readable.  By popular demand I have also added code in the
Heath emulation mode of both versions to swallow up any ANSI escape
sequences that may come along.  No action is taken when an ANSI sequence is
received, but there are apparently many devices (such as the IBM 7171
protocol converter) that send these sequences and they are very annoying.
Also, the receipt of the sequence ESC [ is supposed to activate the hold
screen mode on the VICTOR - not an entirely desirable characteristic if the
host is merely trying to tell the VICTOR to switch text characteristics.

I appreciate all who have called bugs in the VICTOR version to my attention.

                                        Bryan G. Peterson
                                        (BITNET PETERSONB@BYUVAX)
                                        Telephone:  (801)378-2093

P.S. - I will be sending the corrected codes on VICTOR format disks to the
VICTOR PULSE public domain library in the next few days.  If anyone wishes
to contact them the address is:

                        Victor PULSE
                        c/o Brad Chase
                        P.O. Box 705
                        Exeter, NH  03833-0705

[Ed. - Thanks for fixing these bugs, for sending us the source,
and a SPECIAL thanks for submitting this version to a Users
Group. If you could also send us a .BOO file, it would be greatly
appreciated.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 86 09:06:12 CST
From: C346595@UMCVMB (Bruce Barkelew)
Subject: ProComm

PIL Software Systems
PO Box 1471
Columbia, MO 65201
(314) 449-9401

I am the co-author of the communications program ProComm.  I noticed
our program mentioned here, so I thought I would let you know some
more information.  ProComm is a user supported product.  We have just
released version 2.2 (02/21/86).  Version 2.2 has many improvements
and additions.  We now emulate 10 popular async terminals.  The VT-100
emulation has been greatly improved.  We support XMODEM, YMODEM, TELINK,
MODEM7 and KERMIT file transfer protocols.  Our KERMIT implementation
has been completely re-coded from the ground up, and now supports all
the latest features such as data compression, file attributes, and the
new Sliding Window (full duplex) extension.  Our script command language
has been expanded also.  ProComm runs under MS-DOS 2.0 or greater, and
requires 128k of RAM.  We have a 24 hour support BBS running at (314) 449-
9401.  The latest version is always available there.

I don't mean this to sound like a commercial, but I saw messages here
inquiring about us, so I thought I would supply the information.  I can
be reached at the above address or at C346595 at UMCVMB.

-Bruce Barkelew

[Ed. - We do not usually put commercial announcements in our
digest, but this may be a way for people to try windows kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 86 09:02:10 EST
From: munnari!moncskermit.oz!john@seismo.CSS.GOV (John Carey)
Subject: C-Kermit bug for Pyramid 90x

Sorry my last article had a typo.
                if (sfile(xeof)) BEGIN ssdata;  /* <---- parameter added */

Should have been :-
                if (sfile(xflg)) BEGIN ssdata;  /* <---- parameter added */
                          ^^^^
Thanks to John F. Rovert (jrover@nswc-g) for pointing out my mistake

                                                John Carey.
                                                john%monu1.oz@seismo.ARPA

[Ed. - Thanks for the correction.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 86 0:02:20 CST
From: Mark Vasoll <vasoll%okstate.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: uucpker and kermsrv are back

Both the uucpker and kermsrv logins are back in working order on
okstate.

------------------------------

Date: 28 Feb 86
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Bug in C-Kermit

I just discovered a bug in C-Kermit that might explain some problems that
have been reported recently.  If you ever send it an ACK, but the ACK is
lost somehow, and then you time out and send it a NAK (as I believe the PC
will do if its timer is on) before C-Kermit times out, the two Kermits get
into a deadlock, in which Unix Kermit sends packet n and the PC sends a NAK
for packet n+1, up to the retry limit.  The cure, in the case of Unix
Kermit, is to add a test in the input() function.  If it receives a NAK for
packet (n+1)%64, then it should return('Y'), i.e. behave as though it got an
ACK for packet n.  - Frank

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------