[mod.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V4 #15

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (03/06/86)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed,  5 Mar 1986       Volume 4 : Number 15

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	Kermit for Gould/SEL 32/8750 with MPX 3.2A
	New os9 Kermit (68000 and 6809)

  C-KERMIT -
	Kermit for Ultrix-11?
	Pixel Support for C-Kermit
	C-Kermit and TACs

  MS-DOS KERMIT -
	Tektronix Emulator in QK-Kermit
	Re: Tektronix Emulator in QK-Kermit
	PCjr w/Tecmar memory vs 2.28/jrd Kermit-MS

  MISCELLANY -
	Minor Problem with VMS Kermit (BLISS/MACRO) V3.1.066:

Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 09:50:14-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit for Gould/SEL 32/8750 with MPX 3.2A

Announcing SEL-Kermit Version 1.0 for the Gould/SEL Concept 32/8750 with MPX
3.2A, written in Fortran-77+ by Marlon Gordon and Dave Durand, Singer/Link
Houston.  According to the documentation, it works in both remote and local
mode, and can run as a Kermit server.  The file arrived on some crazy kind
of tape, which we read the best way we could.  It all seems to be intact.
The files are in KER:GM1*.* on CU20B, available as usual via anonymous FTP
on the Internet, and also via KERMSRV at CUVMA on BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Feb 86 18:04:22-PST
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON%ECLD@usc-ecl.arpa>
Subject: New os9 Kermit (68000 and 6809)

Since someone finally confirmed that I didn't break the 6809 support
when I added 68000 support to kermit, the new version should be made
standard.  (Thanks Mark Sunderlin, scsnet!sunder.)

The new version is on usc-eclb.arpa as ps:<blarson.os9>os9*.* .  The
files that have changed are second generation, so os9*.*.2 will get
you only the new files.

The only real changes for 6809 users are in the .hlp and .bwr files
and some code to make connect mode on a bit-banger port easier to
implement.  (A special device driver is needed, any volunteers?)

Bob Larson <Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa>
Uucp: ihnp4!sdcrdcf!oberon!blarson

[Ed. - Thanks!  The new files are in KER:OS9*.* on CU20B, and in
OS* * on KERMSRV at CUVMA.]

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 28 Feb 86  10:44 EST
From:     Mark Katsouros <KATSOURO@UMDD.BITNET>
Subject:  Kermit for Ultrix-11?

 I've had no luck in getting Kermit working on our Ultrix-11 system.  Tried
making several different versions, and fooled around with mixing up the flags,
but was unsuccessful in coming up with anything even close.  If you happen to
hear of a way to get what I have (ck*.*) made for Ultrix-11, please let me
know.  Also, I'd really appreciate it if you would let me know if you hear of
anyone else on the net using Ultrix-11.  (Perhaps they have some sort of Kermit
protocol.)  Thank you for your time,

Mark Katsouros
University of Maryland, College Park

[Ed. - Does anybody have any hints about making C-Kermit work in
Ultrix-11?  What is Ultrix-11, anyway?  A 2.9 derivative?  A version
7 derivative?  Venix in disguise?]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Feb 86 11:15:39-EST
From: Chris Lent <OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Pixel Support for C-Kermit

	Just put C-kermit on a Pixel 1000 which is a 68000 based Berkley
Unix box.  Make bsd almost works but it seems the getppid() function
which is used to determine the parent process id of the shell running
C-kermit is missing from the run-time library.  So I made a
change to ckufio.c adding an #ifdef PIXEL and substituted a
kill(0,9) for kill(getppid(),1).
The unix diffs of the current version of ckufio.c and ckuker.mak follow:
$ diff ckufio.c ckufiopix.c
198a199,201
> #ifdef PIXEL
>     return(kill(0,9));
> #else
199a203
> #endif
$ diff ckuker.mak ckukerpix.mak
174a175,179

------------------------------

Date:  2 Mar 1986 12:26:45 EST
Subject: C-Kermit and TACs
From: Glen Foster <GFoster@USC-ISI.ARPA>

Has anybody set up C-Kermit on a VAX running Unix (4.2bsd in this case)
to get it to perform the proper Telnet protocol negotiations with a
TAC so the TAC doesn't interfere with a file transfer?

I know what Telnet sequence to send, I'm just not familiar enough with
C-Kermit and Unix to know how to do it.  I'm sure it could be done
relatively easy with a Kermit script file, perhaps someone has done
something a little fancier with a shell script the "knows" whether the
remote is coming through a TAC or not and sets binary mode if it is.

The Tops-20 Kermit at ISI does this, surely C-Kermit and Unix must have
this capability!

Thanks in advance.

Glen Foster - GFOSTER@USC-ISI.ARPA

[Ed. - There is no code in C-Kermit to put TACs in binary mode, though there
is no reason why it couldn't be added.  For now, just use TAC commands like
@b i s and @b o s.]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 86 06:50:00 PST
From: ALEX WOO <wu@ames-aero>
Subject: Tektronix Emulator in QK-Kermit

Has anyone got the tek4014 emulator in qk-kermit to work?  I don't have
a Zenith but a Hercules card so I tried to recompile the relevant
modules.  Here is a summary of my failed efforts.

1.  It was necessary to overlay the source.  I chose to overlay the local
and definewords procedures since they are not critical for terminal
emulation.

2.  There was a definite error in the DefineWorld(1,0,779,1023,0) call.
I changed it to either
			DefineWorld(1,0,0,779,1023)
or			DefineWorld(1,0,0,3120,4095)
depending on which tektronix driver I'm using on the mainframe.

After fixing these errors, I find that when the terminal goes into tektronix
mode the screen blanks out.  It recovers correctly but nothing is ever painted
to the screen.  It almosts looks as if the vectors are drawn on a RAM screen
(but I set that boolean to be false).  Any suggestions?

Alex.

P.S.  I was surprised that turbo-pascal could drive the serial ports at
19,200 baud.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 4 Mar 86 11:03 EST
From:    VIC@QUCDN
Subject: Re: Tektronix Emulator in QK-Kermit

    Since we don't have the Hercules board, I can only guess at what
your problems might be.  Here are some possibilities to consider:
  1. QK-KERMIT emulates a TEK4010 which is slightly different from a
     TEK4014 terminals.  You maybe sending TEK4014 sequences that are
     not interpetted the same on a TEK4010.
  2. Make sure that you are using the Hercules routines from the Turbo
     tool box.
  3. Do not change the  DefineWorld definition. Although it appears to
     be backwards it is fixed up with some other code. ( Two wrongs
     make it right?)
  4. Try leaving the RamScreen definition unchanged.  We changed it to
     false to reduce the amount of memory used.  I am not sure how this
     affects the Hercules routines so you may leave it alone.
  5. Are you running at 19.2 baud? I have never tested it out at that
     rate. May I suggest you run your test at a lower baud rate  to
     insure that your problem is not a baud rate problem.

------------------------------

FROM: EGRJN@TUCC
Date:	 Tue, 04 Mar 86 08:52 EST
Subject: PCjr w/Tecmar memory vs 2.28/jrd Kermit-MS

I got version 2.28 of the IBM PC Kermit from KERMSRV and I discovered a
problem that few others may have found, and which I hope you can report to
the right folks.  I have a PCjr with TECMAR memory which brings my system
memory to 640K.  When I run KERMIT 2.28, the program bombs with a message
indicating "insufficient memory".  If I disable the TECMAR memory, the
program runs fine.  Version 2.27 runs fine in either case.  Something was
done to 2.28 which creates this incompat- ibility with my system.  Disabling
the extra memory is inconvenient because it prevents me from using RAM disks
or programs like Sidekick. Perhaps if they knew of it, the KERMIT wizards
could avoid this improvement in future versions.

[Ed. - Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, did it go away when
you tried jrd/2 or later?  Joe Doupnik found some problems with the dynamic
memory allocation and fixed them.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 28 Feb 86 11:15:39-EST
From: Chris Lent <OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Minor Problem with VMS Kermit (BLISS/MACRO) V3.1.066:

   If you didn't recompile KERMIT under VAX/VMS 4.X from the MACRO (or BLISS
I assume) a version compiled under VAX/VMS 3.2 to 3.7 may stall in what
looks like a CTRL/S-CTRL/S (XOFF-XOFF) standoff when using DEC's VT220
terminals.  I assume the terminal sends a CTRL/S between the time you type
the escape character and the time you type the C to close a CONNECT session.
It might also be that PASSALL mode (rather than VMS 4.X PASTHRU) mode is
used and the terminal's incessant CTRL-S/CTRL-Q sequences eventually lock up
KERMIT.

   Recompiling under VAX/VMS 4.X seems to solve thsi problem.  Note that
this hangup problem did NOT occur on VT100's or IBM-PC's using KERMIT
to be terminals.

   To determine what version your kermit was linked under do a

$ ANALYZE/IMAGE SYS$SYSTEM:KERMIT.EXE

and look at the linker identification under the heading Image Identification
Information.  If the string starts with a 3 you probably should rebuild your
KERMIT.EXE.

                Chris Lent
                The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art.
                ihnp4!allegra!phri!cooper!chris
or care of:
                OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

End of Info-Kermit Digest