Date: Sun, 9 Mar 86 20:49:36 CDT
From: Stan Barber <drillsys!sob@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: New Kermit-32.Hex Enclosed

So that others won't have to suffer as I did, here is a freshly hexed
verion of kermit-32. Enjoy.

[Ed. - Thanks!  For those who don't know why we needed a new hex file for
VMS Kermit, it's a long story.  But now it agrees with the VMSHEX and VMSDEH
programs we distribute with it, and the warning messages can be (and have
been) removed.  VMS Kermit itself has not been changed; it's still version
3.1(066).  The new hex file is in KER:VMSMIT.HEX on CU20B and in VMSMIT HEX
on CUVMA for BITNET.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Mar 86 16:48:29-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B>
Subject: Kermit for Heath/Zenith 100 with UCI EZPC Board

From Marvin Hamdan, UCI Corporation, 948 Cherry Street, Kent, OH  44240,
a version of IBM PC MS-DOS Kermit 2.27 modified to run on the H/Z-100 with
UCI's EZPC board, which is supposed to make H/Z-100 IBM compatible (oh
well).  Before trying to run this, you have to pry off a couple chips
and bend some pins (it's explained in the directions).  The files are
in KER:MS*EZP.* on CU20B and MS*EZP * from KERMSRV via BITNET at CUVMA.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 7 Mar 86 00:03:44-EST
From: "Gordon C. Holterman" <GORDY%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: ZENITH BUGS

HELP!!!

I recently grabbed a copy of the kb:msvz10.exe file to run kermit on my
Zenith 100.  However, I am experiencing two major bugs.  First, receiving or
getting files doesn't work.  It starts to work and says it gets the first
packet, but then hangs (the cursor sits at thge end of the file name) and
the only way out is to reboot.  The connection is fine and the remote system
is definately sending data--just no receiving.  Second, the status command
causes a similar lock.  No information gets printed--the cursor runs to the
edge of the screen prints an E and then locks.  Rebooting is the only out.

I would love to get these bugs fixed as soon as possible or get an old
version that works.

		Thanks,
			Gordy Holterman@MIT

[Ed. - The old version is in PB:<KERMIT-OLD>MSZ100.BOO (or .EXE) on CU20B.
Has anyone else had similar problems with the current version, or can give
some hints about making it work right?  This could be an instance of 2.28
being built from source, with the segments coming out in the wrong order,
as described in the .BWR file.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 11:57:31 PST
From: Arvind Kumar <hpcea!kumar@hplabs.ARPA>
Subject: C-Kermit on HP9000s

Has anyone else had difficulties trying to make C-Kermit work in terminal
emulation mode on HP9000 computers?

I am trying to use it to go out to a hardwired port (actually an Infotron
port selector) but have had no luck, either on the Series 500 or the Series
220.  In each case, the command 'set line /dev/sw0' takes forever to come
back with 'unable to lock device' or some similar message.  Setting
modem-dialer to racal-vadic allows me to proceed until the Connect step,
which terminates terminal emulation immediately, saying 'host closed
connection' or something similar.

Any clues?

Arvind Kumar
  kumar@hplabs@csnet-relay
  ucbvax!hplabs!kumar

[Ed. - The stupid UNIX "lock files" are the bane of UNIX Kermit.  Read the
section in the Kermit User Guide (the C-Kermit chapter of which is on
line as ckuker.doc) about this.  If all else fails, comment out the code
that looks for the lock file and rebuild the program.  - Frank]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 20:25:53 pst
From: Joel West <westjw%frog@nosc.ARPA>
Subject: Suggestions, C-64 kermit

I have the C-64 kermit 1.7(52).  I'm happy with using it with another
local micro, but thus far have failed with a remote host (probably
due to modem status controls, etc. in the cable).

In c64ker.doc, the authors make comments about suggestions and improvements.
Responding to their ideas, I'd like to offer my 2 cents:
     1.	SET BAUD needs 2400 baud, if said throughput is feasible
	on the C-64
     2.	Slower cursor blink is needed.
     3.	The authors suggest RENAME and SCRATCH command.  I think
	the existing DISK works fine:
		DISK S0:scratched
		DISK R0:new=old
	Perhaps they could modify DISK ? to prompt these options.
     4.	Screen colors would be nice, but B/W is quite readable.
     5.	"Implement wildcard send -- need info on 1541 DOS!", to quote
	from the manual.  According to my 1541 manual,

DIRECTORY
Track 18, Sector 1
	0-1	track, sector next directory block
	2-31	1st entry
	34-63	2nd entry
	66-95	3rd entry
	98-127	etc.
	226-255	last entry

DIRECTORY ENTRY:
	0	128+type 0=Deleted, 1=SEQ, 2=PROG, 3=USER, 4=REL
		128 indicates file properly closed
	1-2	T/S of 1st data block
	3-18	file name padded with shift-space (0xA0 ?)
	19-20	T/S first side sector for relative file
	21	record size, relative file
	22-25	filler
	26-27	T/S replacement file when OPEN@ in use
	28-29	# of blocks in file: low byte, high byte
It would seem that only 0-18 are really needed for kermit applications.

One last comment.  I have two commercial word processors, but neither
seems to use plain CBM ASCII text. If the SpeedScript editor
is really public domain, maybe it could be distributed with kermit
--or a comparable replacement.

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal
	westjw@nosc.ARPA
	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!noscvax!westjw

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 1986 0422-EST
From: LCG.KERMIT@MARLBORO.DEC.COM
Subject: Ultrix-11

Ultrix-11 V2 is a Digital product based on V7 and 2.9.  Ultrix-11 V3 will
have some Sys 5 compatibilities (was announced at Fall Decus) and should be
out soon.  The respondent didn't indicate what version of Ultrix-11 he was
using and what machine he was running it on.

I plan to bring up C-Kermit under Ultrix-11 V2 (and V3 when available) on an
11/73 and will post any diffs necessary to get it to work.

Venix and Pro/Venix are products of Venturcom and are independent of Ultrix-11.

When will a windows version of C-Kermit be available?  Is anyone working on
such a beast?

[Ed. - A version of C-Kermit with windows was announced in Info-Kermit V4 #1.
It's based on an earlier version of C-Kermit (4.0 rather than the current 4C).
It's not in our regular Kermit distribution because of the name conflicts
with the regular release, but it can be FTP'd from PS:<KERMIT-W>*.* on CU20B.
Sorry, it's not available on BITNET.  Eventually, the windowing code will be
added to the distributed version of C-Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date:  86/03/06. 09.28.49.
From:  RYAN%UNLCDC3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
SUBJECT: Kermit on Ultrix-11

  In regards to Mark Katsouros question on Kermit for Ultrix-11, we run an
Ultrix-11 system and have installed a working host version of Kermit.  The
Kermit version that we installed was the Unix Kermit from a tape written at
Columbia on 11-12-84.  Identified in the sccsid as version 3.0(1) mod date
11/5/84.

[Ed. - This was our old, pre-C-Kermit version of UNIX Kermit.  It didn't
do much, but it was quite transportable among V7 and Berkeley-based UNIX
systems.]

Ultrix-11 is Digital's version of Unix for the VAX line of computers.
Ultrix-11 is basicly Berkley 4.2 Unix.

[Ed. - Ultrix-11 runs on PDP-11s.  Ultrix-32 runs on VAXes.  Are we talking
about the same thing?]

Ryan Popken
University of Nebraska, Lincoln

BITNET: RYAN@UNLCDC
CSNET:  kermit@unl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 22:25:44 EST
From: Dave Swindell <dswindel@BBN-LABS-B.ARPA>
Subject: Setting TAC parameters

In the last digest (V4#15), there was a message from a user wanting to use
C-Kermit over a TAC.  The digest editor gave the correct TAC commands to use
(@ b o s and @ b i s), but gave them IN THE WRONG ORDER!  You must use the @
b o s command (binary output suppress, or something like that) BEFORE you
issue the @ b o s command (binary input suppress).  If you issue the @ b i s
command first, the TAC will not accept the @ b o s command.  Also, if you
are sending data to a host system connected via a TAC, you may need to set
the send packet-length parameter to a value of 64 or less to keep from
over-running the TAC input buffer.

Hope this helps,

Dave Swindell
BBN Laboratories

------------------------------

Date:  6 Mar 1986 15:30:39 EST
Subject: Kermit/TACS and other hosts
From: Glen Foster <GFoster@USC-ISI.ARPA>

"Thanks" to all the people who sent me information on TAC commands.  Perhaps
my request was not specific enough.  What I am looking for is a way to have
a Unix host running C-Kermit send the telnet sequence:

IAC WILL BIN    (wait for: IAC DO BIN) then send:
IAC DO BIN      (wait for: IAC WILL BIN)

Then (without the remote user ever having been aware of anything) Kermit
will take over and the user will see the C-Kermit> prompt or whatever.
Another negotiation should be performed upon leaving Kermit to return
control of the TAC to the user although this is not crucial.

IAC is the character 377 octal (Interpret As Command), this is the telnet
"escape" character and is never sent by Kermit (I am told) because octal 177
(ASCII DEL) is not "printable."  It (octal 377) has to be doubled to get
through a TAC even in binary mode.

Telnet negotiation between hosts uses special characters 376 (DONT), 375
(DO), 374 (WONT) and 373 (WILL).  The character that follows one of these
four indicates which option is being negotiated, which for binary is 0
(BIN).

This should only occur if the user is coming over a TAC and not telnetted
host to host, local hard-wired or dialup.  Of course, error detection and
recovery should be taken care of in the best of all possible worlds.

The important thing is that it remain transparent to the users, they should
only have to type "kermit server" ("kermit -x" under UNIX), escape to
command level and transfer files with the greatest of ease.  What do they
know about TAC commands?  I have a key programmed to tell the TAC to jump
and whinny but this causes all sorts of "funny" output that confuses my
users.

Again, TOPS-20 can do it, why can't UNIX.  (Maybe that should rile enough
UNIX gurus so I'll get an answer!)

Glen

[Ed. - It's just a matter of someone writing the code.  It's one of many
items on the list of things to do.]

------------------------------

From: mcvax!eurifb!benno@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 12:12:27 +0100
Subject: Bug in Kermit for VM/CMS

A problem erupted when we tried to send lots of packets from a UNIX machine
via a 7171 over a 70-foot line. The 7171 guarantees only 50 foot, and lots
of acknowledgement-packets were garbled, and UNIX-kermit did a retry.  This
was all OK, exept when the old packet-number was 63 ('_').  VM/CMS kermit
wrapped around to 0 (' ') and didn't recognise the resent packet as a retry.
It appeared that masking was forgotten on several occasions. I have tried to
locate all the spots where it should be needed, and inserted them (see the
lines with BN-860227).  It works fine now (upto now for approx. 100 MB).

Ben Noordzij,
Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The netherlands
......!mcvax!eurifb!benno

[Ed. - Thanks for the report.  We've omitted the code from the digest, but
it has been added to the CMS Kermit beware file.  The problem will be fixed
in the forthcoming release (version 3.0).]

------------------------------

Date: 12 February 1986, 10:35:10 SET
From: Wolfgang Hake             0521-106-4941        UHRZS007 at DBIUNI11
Subject: Unix C-Kermit

wir haben probleme, den c-kermit unter der amdahl unix-version UTS V
zu installieren. in der versionsliste ist die UTS V zwar mitaufgefuehrt,
aber im make-file ist dafuer kein spezieller eintrag vorgesehen. die
eintraege fuer fruehere UTS-Versionen (UTS 2.4) sind unter UTS V nicht
lauffaehig. Unter UTS V fehlt der CBREAK-Modus.
Gibt es eine neuere version fuer den C-Kermit, der dem UTS V tribut
zollt? falls sie eine solche haben, schicken sie sie bitte an mich
via EARN.

[Ed. - Der "sys5" Eintrag im make-file gilt auch fuer UTS V.  Kermit
versionen koennen von KERMSRV@CUVMA nachgefragt werden durch BITNET
(EARN) -- z.B. "SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV SEND CK* *" (CMS).
Excuse my fractured German.  - Frank]

------------------------------

DATE: 7-MAR-1986
FROM: BRIAN@UOFT02
SUBJECT: Problem with Kermit-11 and Intel MDS Kermit (Kermit-Isis)

 Problem: ISIS Kermit can get files from Kermit-11 server but can't send
them. Reported Mar 1986 by rrenfro@dtrc.arpa

 I know exactly what's wrong, if you would get the current save image from
my Vax it would go away.  The problem in older k11's is when kermit-11 gets
a short (6 char) S packet (ie, the absolute minimum) it stuffs a literal
null into the QBIN field of it's reply, which is a field that does not get
encoded. Please get a new version as described.  The same thing happened to
FidoNet Kermit with Kermit-11. This problem was fixed on 01-Nov-1985 version
2.37.

brian@uoft02.bitnet

[Ed. - Brian will be sending his new release to Columbia shortly.  Until
then, it's available on his VAX at the U of Toledo via BITNET or dialup,
as announced in Info-Kermit V4 #14.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1986 13:06 EST
From: ELOISE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Eloise Kleban)
Subject: Altos Oasis Kermit?

Is there a version of Kermit for the Altos running Oasis?  We would
appreciate information and/or a diskette if anyone out there can supply us!
My BITNET address is ELOISE@MAINE.  My US mail address is:

                     Eloise Kleban
                     Computing Center
                     University of Maine