Date: Tue 18 Mar 86 13:51:43-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.29 Almost Ready, Testing Needed

Joe Doupnik has begun the task of adapting the system-dependent support
modules for the various non-IBM system to the current prerelease of MS-DOS
Kermit, 2.28 jrd/5e.  This is very close to the final 2.29 release.  The
Rainbow version has already been built and seems to work just fine (a neat
trick for Joe, considering he didn't have a Rainbow to test it on, and the
memory management code had to be redone).

The files are on CU20B, in PS:<KERMIT-MS>.  Included are a complete set
of system-independent sources (MSS*.ASM and .H), objects (MSS*.OBJ), and
system-dependent sources (MSX*.ASM, MSY*.ASM, and MSZ*.ASM).  The objects
were produced using MASM 1.10 on a DEC Rainbow.  The .EXE and .BOO files
are already built for the IBM PC family and the Rainbow.

I would appreciate it if anyone on the Internet who has access to any of the
following systems would FTP the necessary source &/or object files and try
to build 2.28 jrd/5e for their systems, and give it a good workout.  If there
are problems, please report them.  If it works, please send a .BOO file, or
point us to where we can FTP an .EXE file from.  Here are the systems to be
tested:

PS:<KERMIT-MS>

 MSXAP3.ASM  NEC APC 3
 MSXAPC.ASM  NEC APC
 MSXAPR.ASM  Apricot
 MSXDM2.ASM  DECmate III with MS-DOS option
 MSXEZP.ASM  Z100 with UCI EZ PC card
 MSXGEN.ASM  Generic DOS
 MSXGRI.ASM  Grid Compass
 MSXHP1.ASM  HP150
 MSXHPX.ASM  HP 110, and (or?) Portable
 MSXIBM.ASM  IBM PC, XT, AT, etc, and compatibles (.BOO and .EXE available)
 MSXM24.ASM  Olivetti M24
 MSXMBC.ASM  Sanyo
 MSXRB.ASM   DEC Rainbow (.BOO and .EXE available)
 MSXTIP.ASM  TI Pro (not quite ready yet)
 MSXV90.ASM  Victor 9000
 MSXWNG.ASM  Wang PC
 MSXZ10.ASM  Heath/Zenith 100

These files are not available on BITNET, since the only way to make them
available via KERMSRV would be to overwrite the current release, which should
not a be done until the new release is checked out for all these systems.

Anyone using FTP to get the binary (.OBJ and .EXE) files from CU20B might have
to take special measures.  If you're coming in from a system that's not a
DEC-20, you'll have to give special FTP commands to get the binary files,
like TYPE L 8.

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 16 Mar 86 23:20 EST
From:  MSchwartz@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject:  KERMIT on the Z100

In reponse to the request for Z-100 kermit problems, I'd like to add my
observations:

1)  The new version 2.28 does indeed do nasty things when certain
    commands are executed.  Status, for one, hangs the machine.

2)  The problem added after PC-KERMIT, that of hanging up the modem
    with a change from connect to send or receive, has not been fixed
    with version 2.28

3)  The misbehavior of KERMIT with VI has been fixed with 2.28;  it
    seems that the terminal emulator can finally keep up with the
    modem without long delays after screen refreshes, etc.

4)  The DELSTR for the Z100 KERMIT is different than for 2.27;  it must
    be changed from the source 'bs,' ',bs to require another bs.
    The reason for the change is not entirely clear, but if not fixed, it
    makes KERMIT appear not to erase its input.

I would like to have a totally working version of KERMIT past 1.27j, but
until problem 2) is fixed, my transfers must be done with that old version.

A question is, WHO is current with KERMIT for the Z-100?  I have sent
mail to both INFO-HZ100 and INFO-KERMIT and not received any responses.
Can it be that the Z100 KERMIT is up for grabs?

My best to the lucky ones, and a thanks to Catchings, da Cruz, Tzoar, et. al.
for giving us a fun protocol to hack at......

[Ed. - Try the new version of MS-DOS Kermit 2.28/jrd5e from the previous
message and see if the same problems occur.]

------------------------------

Date: 14 MAR 86 17:02-EST
From: DPVC@UORDBV
Subject: I have a working AMIGA KERMIT

I am a long-standing fan of KERMIT, so when by brother bought an AMIGA
micro-computer recently, bringing up KERMIT for it was one of my first
projects.  I have a working AMIGA KERMIT, based on the UNIX C-KERMIT
version.  It is line-oriented, not menu-oriented, as is the MACKERMIT, but I
felt that getting a solid, tried-and-true KERMIT working was more important
than a slick look, at least to start with.

There have been a number of requests for AMIGA KERMIT on INFO-AMIGA and
net.micros.amiga, so I feel that it would be a good product to add to your
list of available KERMITs.  I am still developing some of the less important
features, but all the file transfer parts work very well.  I have NOT
implemented local shell commands (directory, cd, etc.), nor thier
server-mode equivolents, though, SEND, GET, HELP, FINISH and BYE are
supported in server-mode.  I do not support wildcard file look-ups (yet),
and have no special terminal emulation (VT100 is planned); at the moment,
when you CONNECT you just get a dumb terminal.

I have had a number of requests to distribute my version.  I would like your
advice on how best to do this, and on whether I should distibute myself, or
if you would rather route it through KERMSERV on BITNET.  I would be happy
to send you the sources to you, but I hesitate to send them to too many others,
as they amount to quite a bit (CKUCMD, CKCFNS, etc.).

I plan to continue to develop AMIGA KERMIT, though I feel that it is well
enough along for many people to benefit from it.  I was able to bring it up in
less than three weeks (working evenings only), which I attribute to the
excellent design of the common C-KERMIT modules.  It is a pleasure to work with
your code.

Please let me know whether you are interested in this as soon as possible, as
there are people waiting for AMIGA KERMIT to be released.

[Ed. - Kermit for the Amiga is on the way and will be announced as soon
as it arrives. ]

                                Davide P. Cervone
                                University of Rochester
                                Computing Center
                                Taylor Hall
                                Rochester, NY  14627

                                DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET
                                seismo!rochester!ur-tut!dpvc.UUCP
                                (716)275-2811

------------------------------

Date: 14 MAR 86 17:02-EST
From: DPVC@UORDBV
Subject: MACKERMIT Terminal Emulation Fixes

Sometime in November, I sent you a message about enhancements to the
MACKERMIT VT100 emulator that we have made here ate the U of R.  Did you
ever receive it?  We have been using these corrections here since then
throughout the University, and find them very helpfull.  The VT100 emulation
is much better than the current release version.  If you are interested in
these, please let me know, and I will send them, too.

[Ed. - Nope, I must have missed this message somehow!  Davide has since sent
along the Mac Kermit changes, and they fix most of the problems with VT100
terminal emulation (like the notorious boldface problem), and add some highly
desirable new features too, like using the mouse to send arrow-key cursor
positioning commands.  In a couple hours of testing, the only problems I
found with it were that it incorrectly reported itself to be a VT100 with AVO
rather than a VT102, and that the control keys no longer autorepeat.  Since
this version has not yet been thoroughly tested, it won't become the standard
one just yet, but it has been placed KER:MC2*.* for now, alongside the regular
version.  Please try it out.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 13 Mar 86 20:49:41-EST
From: Richard Garland <OC.GARLAND@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit on LAT with VMS

FYI - Kermit works fine using LAT under VMS.  I use it every day.
						Rg

[Ed. - This message and the following one are in response to the note in the
last Kermit Digest V4 #17.]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 86 12:53:00 PST
From: fae.wu@ames-vmsb.ARPA

	I have had the same problem with VAX VMS LAT ver 1.0.  Supposedly the
new version 1.1 or 2.1 will fix the problem.  I found your discussion very
useful.  Thanks.

Alex.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 15 Mar 86 17:13:07-EST
From: GH0N@CMCCTC
Subject: Re:Kermit(057) on the HP Integral

	This note is in reply to my previous post about an incomptibility
between C-Kermit and csh on the HP Integral that has the new (SVR2) ROMs.
Installing the latest version of C-Kermit(057) did not have any effect on
the supposed incompatibilty.  Running with csh alone or sh on top of csh
resulted in the loss of communication from the modem to kermit.  When escape
to local control (^-\C) was attempted the csh process stopped.  It is not
known whether csh is recieving EOF or some signal such as SIGINT or SIGKILL.
Sometime in the near future (hopefully) I will get the oportunity to run
C-Kermit from debug to find out what is happening.

						Gordon Haverland

End of Info-Kermit Digest

-------