Date: Wed 7 May 86 20:02:43-MDT
From: Mike Niswonger <CNISWONGER@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: New Gould/SEL Kermit Available

I'm sending an alternative version of Kermit for Gould/SEL MPX-32 system
that was submitted by Simulation Assoc.  This version has some added
features that the old didn't.

[Ed. - The files are in KER:GM2*.* available via ARPANET using FTP, user
ANONYMOUS, any password and via BITnet at CUVMA using KERMSRV.  The older
version will be kept in KER:GM1*.* until some Gould/SEL users tell us that
there is no reason to keep it.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 May 86 12:41:29 EDT
From: rmcqueen (Robert C McQueen) @ sitvxb
Subject: New Kermit-32 With Bug Fixes

I think (and hope) that I have taken care of the items that you have referred
to me.  There is a completely new set of source files which include the one
and only .MSS file, all of the MACRO-32 files and the Bliss modules.  There
is a new .HEX file which includes the fix for sending files with FORTRAN
carriage control.

[Ed. - The two fixes relate to allowing control characters to pass through
transparently during CONNECT, and transfer of FORTRAN-format files.  The new
release is in KER:VMS*.* on CU20B, and also available as VMS* * from
KERMSRV at CUVMA.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 86 09:55 AST
From: <IUS@DACTH51.BITNET> (Eberhard W. Lisse)
Subject: Quad board reported harmful to Kermit on Compaq, cont'd

>> A Kermit user called and reported that the Quad board (I assume he meant
>> Quadram?) with the built-in clock, when installed on the Compaq along with
>> QUADCLOCK.SYS (?), prevents Kermit from transferring files.  Booting without
>> QUADCLOCK.SYS fixes the problem.

This is not restricted to the Compaq, but to the IBM XT as well. I have had
the same problem when transferring files to the VMS/VAX here in the
hospital. I managed to transfer by setting the TIMER off.

I have reported this problem to jrd directly, but he didn't know yet what could
have caused this.

This has also been reported by Jim Moore in a recent IBM info (5 47) as
follows:

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 86 06:45 EDT
From: Jim Moore <moore@ncsc>
Subject: Quad board and Kermit on Compaq

As I mentioned a few months ago, the device driver QUADCLOK.SYS interferes with
an IBM PC-XT also.  A way around this is to put QUADCLOK.COM into the AUTOEXEC
batch file; the clock is still read and kermit transfers work fine.

Date: Thu 8 May 86 10:33:53-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Discussion group for technology for the handicapped

A mailing list has been set up at North Dakota State University for
discussing computer and other technology for people with any kind of
handicap, plus meetings, conferences, funding agencies, and so forth.  It is
run by Bob Puyear, NU025213@NDSUVM1.BITNET (via Arpanet,
NU025213%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU), who will add you to the mailing
list if you send him a request to do so.  To send mail directly to the list
itself, replace NU025213 by L$HCAP in the addresses above.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 86 08:48:28 pdt
From: Bob Borchers <borchers@lll-crg.arpa>
Subject: Turbo Lightning and Kermit?

Has anyone run into a bug that makes file tranfers with Kermit incompatible
with having Turbo Lightning resident. The file transfer appears to go fine
but the file either received or sent is trashed. Terminal traffic is just fine
and I have found nothing else that is having trouble with lightning. For
reference I am using an AT at 8Mhz, either version 2.26 or 2.28 of Kermit
and a fairly early version of Lightning talking to a Vax running BSD4.3 at
1200 baud.

Bob<Borchers@lll-crg.arpa>

[Ed. - Try the latest pre-release of MS-DOS Kermit, in which the dynamic
memory management has been fixed up considerably.  If Turbo Lightning is
well-behaved, then it should be able to peacefully coexist with the new
version of Kermit.  The latest test version for the AT is in KER:MSTIBM.BOO
on CU20B, or, if you can transfer binary files directly, KER:MSTIBM.EXE.]

------------------------------

Date: 8-MAY-1986 15:41:58
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Kermit for Digital Minc?

Has anyone transferred files from a Digital Minc computer using Kermit.
We have a user who is interested in doing this and would like to know of
anyone who has a version of Kermit for the Minc computer.

[From Brian Nelson, author of PDP-11 Kermit (the Minc is a laboratory model
of the PDP-11) -- If the Minc runs a reasonably current version of RT11
(v5.x is best), and they have an extra DLV11 on it, it should work.]

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 86 23:55:50 PDT (Sat)
From: djp@aerospace.ARPA
Subject: WKermit on the AT?

Did anyone ever figure out why WKermit (Kermit with Sliding Windows) doesn't
work when trying to communicate between two AT-class machines?  Someone
wrote in with a message about two or three months ago (I don't remember the
exact message) saying they couldn't get it to work between two AT's, and I
had no luck just recently with two Compaq Portable 286's.  I've got an
application ideally suited for sliding windows.  I can recompile the code
locally, but my hardware specific knowledge about the AT is limited.  If
anyone (like the author) has any ideas about where to start looking, it
would be greatly appreciated.

      - Dennis Persinger
        Aerospace Corp.
        djp@aerospace

[Ed. - The person who put together WKERMIT (Jan Van der Eijk) assumed that
it would be used only with modems, so the program requires the presence of
carrier detect.  You should be able to get around this restriction by
cross connecting DTR and CD in one of the connectors, or shorting DTR and
CD in both connectors.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------