Date:    Fri, 23 May 86 09:08 EST
From:  CDTAXW%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Modified MVS/TSO Kermit Via 7171 Protocol Converter

Please find enclosed a slightly modified version of TSODYNAL.ASM for the
TSOS1 Kermit.  We had to make a relatively minor change so RECEIVEd datasets
were correctly allocated to the user's proper disk pack. The two affected
lines are commented out with the changes following them.

Mark

[Ed. - The new modified version of TSOS1 Kermit is in KER:TSODYNAL.ASM
available via FTP at CU20B, user ANONYMOUS (any password) and from BITnet at
CUVMA using KERMSRV.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 86 18:40:54 CDT
From: Gregg Wonderly <gregg%a.cs.okstate.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: New OKSTATE.TXT

        There is the new update of OKSTATE.TXT for anyone who is
interested in downloading files via UUCP.

Gregg

[Ed. - The new file is in KER:OKSTATE.TXT.  The file is too long to include
here in the digest.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 29 May 86 16:54:36-EDT
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New GEC 4000 Kermit Version from Lancaster

        This is to announce a new version (3.5) of the Kermit for the GEC
4000 series minis running OS 4000, from Martin Loach of Rutherford Appleton
Laboratories.  The files should replace the current GEC set.  The language
is Babbage rather than SERC/MUMS.

[Ed. - These files are in KER:GEC*.*.  Thanks again to Alan Phillips of
Lancaster University for maintaining Kermit in the U.K. and for sending us
updated Kermit versions.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 May 86 08:05 EST
From: <BRIAN@UOFT02.BITNET> (brian nelson)
Subject: Many modifications for RT11 Kermit-11

 A minor release of Kermit-11 is available. This version, 3.51,  differs
only in a number of RT11/TSX+ specific modifications from the previously
announced Kermit-11.

 Specifically:

 1. Reduction in the size of the  root  for  XM  to  facilitate  running
Kermit as a foreground task.

 2. Complete rewrite of terminal emulation, specifically to enhance  the
support of the XL/XC/CL handlers. It  is  now  completely  event  driven
thus  performance  should be improved as well as presenting a much lower
load on the CPU. It should also function better under SJ.

 3. Restructuring buffer allocation to (1) Reduce the root size for  XM,
and  (2) To enable the USR to swap over buffers for SJ and FB. This will
eliminate Kermit crashing on USR requests in 95% of  the  cases  for  SJ
and  FB  systems  with  minimal  background  memory  available (ie, many
devices in the system and/or large RMON).

 4. Control C delivery has been improved by adding a watchdog  timer  to
check for control C's as RT11 does not generate an AST on control C.

 The  files  are  currently  available  via  KERMSRV@UOFT02.BITNET or by
dialup from  the  University  of  Toledo's  VAX  11/785.  Columbia  will
receive a new distribution shortly.

Brian Nelson
brian@uoft02.bitnet

[Ed. - This is will be announced when we receive the new tape.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 86 09:13:31 pdt
From: Steve Walton <ametek!walton@csvax.caltech.edu>
Subject: C-Kermit vs. MS-Kermit Server II

The problem with this combination is solved, and warrants a warning.  We
were starting our MS-Kermit server from our host, by doing a CTTY COM1: when
the PC was booted.  Apparently the CTTY sufficiently degrades the
performance of the serial port that Kermit will not work reliably even at
1200 baud.  When the CTTY was not done, and MS-Kermit was put into server
mode from the PC's keyboard, no problems were encountered at 9600 baud.

I hope this information is useful to others.

Stephen Walton, Ametek Computer Research Division

[Ed. - Has anyone else experienced these performance problems when CTTY
is in effect?  I assume Steve is using an IBM PC or compatible.  Is there a
difference between the new release (2.29) and previous ones in this respect?
We have tested use of Kermit through CTTY on the Rainbow up to 9600 baud
with no problems.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Jun 86 10:01:11-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Minor problem with MSYIBM.ASM

The MS-DOS Kermit terminal emulation module for the IBM PC, MSYIBM.ASM,
contains a definition for the symbol SETBLK, which duplicates the definition
from the header file, MSSDEF.ASM.  Late-model assemblers are not perturbed
by this, but earlier assemblers complain about it, and some may refuse to
generate an object module.  Cure: remove the EQU for SETBLK from MSYIBM.ASM.
This has already been done on the master copies in Kermit distribution.
Thanks to the several people who pointed out the problem.

------------------------------

Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 86 22:18 EDT
From:  Roger Hartmuller <Hartmuller@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject:  C-kermit & SCO Xenix Sys V

   I finally got the fix to allow kermit transfers with C-kermit running
under SCO Xenix System V on an IBM AT.  I haven't seen it published in
the forum, so I'm sending it in, even though I didn't discover the fix
myself.  In ckcfn2.c, in the routine chk1(), declare chk as an unsigned
int rather than an int.

    The problem was supposedly caused by an error in the C compiler.
Anyway, the fix works.

[Ed. - KER:CKCFN2.C has that change in it now.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------