Date: Mon 8 Dec 86 11:32:34-EST
From: Chris Lent <OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: PERKIN-ELMER 7000 Series Kermit

I've gotten a Kermit for the Perkin-Elmer 7000 Series computers which are
IDRIS based.  It's loosely based on the old C-Kermit from the old Protocol
manual. It has Binary file (8-bit and &-quoting), Repeat quoting and server
mode (GET,SEND,and FINISH).  It has no connect mode, as the 7000 series
comes with the cu(1) command which does the same thing.

I didn't create this version (Dan Eisner of Perkin-Elmer did), but I did
create a bootstrap document. I translated the bootstrap programs so that I'm
using an existing format for encoding the binary files.  For its size it's
one of the most solid Kermit's I've seen so far.

Chris Lent
"phri!cooper!chris"@NYU.ARPA
OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 86  23:33:18 EST
From: "Roger Fajman" <RAF@NIHCU>
Subject: New NIH TSO Kermit Version 1.0

I would like to announce the availability of the NIH TSO Kermit Version 1.0.
The following summarizes its capabilities:

NIH TSO Kermit Capabilities At a Glance:

       Local operation:  No
       Remote operation:  Yes
       Transfers text files:  Yes
       Transfers binary files:  Yes
       Wildcard send:  Yes
       XX/XY interruption:  Yes
       Filename collision avoidance:  No
       Timeouts:  Yes
       8th-bit prefixing:  Yes
       Repeat character compression:  Yes
       Alternate block check types:  Yes
       Communication settings:  No
       Transmit BREAK:  No
       IBM mainframe communication:  Yes
       Transaction logging:  No
       Session logging:  No
       Debug logging:  Yes
       Raw transmit:  No
       Login scripts: No
       Act as server:  Yes
       Talk to server: No
       Advanced commands for servers:  No
       Local file management:  Yes
       Command/init files:  Yes
       Handle file attributes:  No

I am sending a tape to Frank da Cruz at Columbia so that NIH TSO Kermit can
be included on the regular Columbia distribution tapes.  When the files are
available on KERMSRV, ask for TSNKER.TXT to see the installation
instructions.  There are 8 required files, plus 13 more if you want the
source.

NIH TSO Kermit may also be obtained directly from NIH by sending a letter of
request and a tape to the following address:

   Joseph D. Naughton
   Chief, Computer Center
   National Institutes of Health
   Building 12, Room 2244
   Bethesda, MD 20892

There is no charge.

The NIH version of TSO Kermit is an extensive modification and rewrite of
the University of Chicago TSO Kermit, which in turn was based on an early
CMS Kermit developed at Columbia University.  The external design was done
by Roger Fajman and Dale Wright.  The internal design and programming was
done by Dale Wright.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 86 13:02:24 EST
From: Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD@uga>
Subject: BITNET Distribution

Please add:

      I-KERMIT@UGA.BITNET

to your distribution list.  This is a BITNET List server which will allow
BITNET users to subscribe and receive copys of your list without having to
transverse the WISCVM gateway.  After this is done, you might want to
announce the availablility of this list as an alternative method for your
BITNET subscribers to receive this list.

For a BITNET user to subscribe to this list, they can issue the command

     TELL LISTSERV AT UGA SUB I-KERMIT Users Name  (from VM/370)

     SEND LISTSERV@UGA SUB I-KERMIT Users Name     (from VAX/VMS)

All other users can send RFC-822 mail to LISTSERV at UGA where the first
of the message text (the line after the blank delimiter line) is

     SUB I-KERMIT Users Name

[Ed. - Thanks.  BITNET subscribers might want to try this new service and if
it works okay, they may want to switch from Info-Kermit at CU20B to
I-KERMIT, in order to relieve congestion at the WISCVM gateway.]

------------------------------

Date: 1986 Nov 21   22:14 EST
From: (John F. Chandler) <PEPMNT@CFAAMP>
Subject: More on FIDO and Kermit

It should be obvious that if the two Kermits mis-negotiate the state of
8-bit quoting there can be irretrievable garblings.  In particular, assuming
the sender thinks "&" is the 8-bit quote, all occurences of "&" get sent as
"#&", which is garbage if the receiver thinks there is no 8-bit quoting.
The "#&" is probably converted to "f", but it could depend on the
implementation!  If it, in fact, comes out as "&", then a post-reception
filter would try to merge it with the following character anyway.  If there
is garbling even when the two Kermits claim to agree on the quoting state,
it might be a good idea to send a short file with a few mixed 7- and 8-bit
byte values.  Then you'll have a clue as to what's happening.

[Ed. - Actually, translation of "#&" to "f" is improper, because "&" is not
in the range of encoded control characters.  The "#" operator should
"controllify" the following character only if it is in the range 63-95
(decimal), otherwise it means "take the following character literally".  But
you're right, there are some Kermit implementations that do not follow this
rule.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 29 Nov 86 21:08:53-MST
From: Mike Niswonger <CNISWONGER@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: SCO Sys V/286 Xenix Kermit 4C

Help!!,
	There seems to have been a lot of hassles stirred up about what is
necessary to run which version of C-Kermit on which version of Xenix.  I
would like to compile a full list of users who have Kermit up and running on
a Xenix system.  Please include the following information:

  User name and net address
  Hardware: manufacturer, model, CPU (8086, 80286, etc), configuration
  SPECIFIC Xenix version including:
  . Source (IBM, Microsoft, SCO, Tandy)
  . Sys III, Sys V, V7, "Sys V with Berkeley features", etc.
  . Xenix release version (very important)
  . Development system (compiler) version
  Edit level of C-Kermit used (should be 4D(061))
  Specific fixes, patches, workarounds, actual flags used during compilation
  (please don't just say "see makefile")

I realize that this may require some digging, but please help out.  I have
been working (on and off) trying to bring up Kermit on a friend's SCO Xenix
286 / Sys V AT clone for almost a year, with little success.  From some of
the notes that I have seen, I am not alone.

A compilation of the results will be submitted to CU20B when complete.

			-- Mike Niswonger,
			   CNiswonger@Simtel20.arpa

[Ed. - As we've noted in previous postings, "Xenix" is almost a meaningless
label, except that it means a operating systems that resembles one or more
versions of Unix.  Thus, it has proven next to impossible for us to tell
people how to bring up C-Kermit under "Xenix".  If we had a list of all the
different incarnations of Xenix along with the parameters that Mike has
listed, it would help a lot.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 12:49:10 WET
From: Bruce Wilford { 01 387 7050 x 3691 } <bruce@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: Use of Unix Kermit on Packet Switched Network

People connect to our machine from all over the UK via an X25 network.  Some
have to pay for this and therefore need to use message (line) mode.  If they
are in line mode the characters will not be forwarded until the <CR> is
typed at the end.  This would ruin the effect of command completion, with
ESC and things like ? being picked up immediately.

[Ed. - First, note that you do not HAVE to use command completion, ESC, or ?
when talking to C-Kermit.  You can use it as a traditional Unix command,
with command-line options, as documented in the manual (or type "kermit -h"
for a brief summary).  During interactive use, if you configure your PAD to
use only CR as the data forwarding character (X.3 parameter 3, value 3),
then you will simply not have the special features available to you at your
terminal; you can still type the commands.  You can use X.3 PAD commands to
change your data forwarding characters; for instance "SET? 3:14" will allow
forwarding on CR, ESC, DEL and a few other control characters, but not ^U or
"?", which are also used by the interactive command parser.  "SET? 3:72" will
cause forwarding on any control character.  There's no X.3 selector for "?".
You can also configure the PAD to let you do local editing when in line
mode (X.3 parameters 15-18).  During file transfer, Unix Kermit puts the
communication line into "rawmode" which, in some Unix implementations,
causes the Unix system to tell the network to do character-at-a-time i/o,
which means one character per packet, which is unnecessarily expensive when
you're paying by the packet.  Future releases of Unix Kermit may provide
some kind of workaround for this.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 86 16:47:10 EST
From: Richard_S._Conto@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: VAX/VMS Kermit-32 and X25/X29

In Info-Kermit dgest V5 #14, Jan Peter Stuart <JPSX@UK.AC.RUTHERFORD.GEC-M>
asked about using Kermit-32 to connect out through an X.25 PSI interface to
the outside world.

Unfortunately, I am in the same situation.  However, since our users can
usually loop around in our network (Merit), and come back in to use it as a
remote kermit, our need is not overly pressing.  There are other VAX/VMS
systems attached through X.25 interfaces to Merit, though, and any real,
software solution would bre greatly appreciated.

    Richard S. Conto
    University of Michigan Computing Center
    1075 Beal Ave.
    Ann Arbor, Mi. 48109, USA

    ARPA/Internet:    Richard_S._Conto@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU

[Ed. - Bob McQueen, the author of VMS Kermit, says that he'd be willing to
look into adding X.25/29 PSI support, but (1) he doesn't have an X.25 PSI
system at his site, and (2) he doesn't have any documentation on the
interface.  If someone can provide the details of the VAX/VMS X.25 interface
(does it look like a normal terminal? Do you send special X.28 control
sequences to the PAD? etc) and would be willing to test the results, please
contact Bob as "rmcqueen%sitvxb.CCNET"@CU20B, or through Info-Kermit.
Results cannot be promised.]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 1986 12:07-EST
From: DEC PC BBoard <Info-DEC-Micro@GSB-HOW.Stanford.Edu>
Subject: Micro_Vax II problem with modem interface

            We have recently got a Microvax II and are facing some problems
in connecting the MUX ports to modem. I am here a faculty member in
Electrical Engineering at North Dakota State University Fargo, North Dakota,
USA.
            The problem is as follows:

1. When the prot, e.g. TXA0 is defined as MODEM port, using SET TERM
command, after a user logs in through that port, he is logged out in about
30 seconds with a message, SYS - E - HANGUP. If the port is not defined as a
modem, by the command SET TERM/NOMODEM then this hangup does not occur, but
if the modem is switched off without the user having logged off, the user is
not logged out and anybody who comes in through that port is in effect
working as the 'old' user. This is a big security risk Did you come across
any such problem. We are here using a PACKSnetwork which uses Gandolf
modems. The operating system is VMS 4.4 and the port controllers are DHV-11.

                 I shall be very thankful for your suggestions.

                                  K.Sankara Rao

[Ed. - Reply from Bob McQueen: "This person is talking about setting VMS
parameters on his terminal lines and is doing it incorrectly from what I read.
I'd guess from the message that the problem he is having is that the device
requires DTR to be raised and the modem he is using doesn't (or the terminal
cable doesn't have the line)."  We get questions like this all the time.
What we need is a quick guide to VMS DCL parameters for using Kermit in
various situations -- direct connect, dialin, dialout, etc.  We'll try to
come up with something like this.]

------------------------------

From: uw-apl!apl-em!dunlap@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 86 09:46:29 pst
Subject: HP9845 BASIC Kermit

Our HP9845's do not recognize the following:

Mass Storage Unit Specifier ":Q"
CCOM, CMODEL, CCONNECT, CDISCONNECT, CCONTROL, CSTAT, CWRITE, CREAD
Block if: IF THEN, ELSE, END IF on separate lines
Case selection: SELECT, CASE, END SELECT on separate lines

These keywords are in fact in ROMs we don't own.  According to our HP
service engineer:

	> Mass Storage Unit Specifier ":Q"

	This is the msus for the "HP7908" disc.

	> CCOM, CMODEL, CCONNECT, CDISCONNECT, CCONTROL, CSTAT, CWRITE, CREAD

	These commands are found in the Datacomm ROM, which can only  be used
	with the HP98046 Datacomm interface.

	> Block if: IF THEN, ELSE, END IF on separate lines
	> Case selection: SELECT, CASE, END SELECT on separate lines

	These are found in the Structured Programming ROM, along with many
	other useful commands like XREF and INDENT.

Since we don't have the above and have no plans to purchase I am considering
redoing the code a little to use the more common I/O ROM and HP98036 serial
interface.  I already have written a terminal emulator which performs quite
well (keeps up at 1200 bps) so I don't forsee any great difficulty.  On the
down side I cannot say when I can get to it.

In any case there should be some words in the HP9845 kermit distribution
about the above ROMs and I/O cards being required.  I don't think the mass
storage unit specifier (MSUS) problem is serious -- people can change that
to their usual MSUS.

[Ed. - HP has such a variety of products, and so many of them come with
BASIC as the only standard (or only, period) programming language, that it
would be very desirable to have a relatively portable HP-BASIC Kermit, if
indeed there is some subset of the language that is consistent across the HP
line, and which does not require special ROMs and options (Is there???).
Meanwhile, your message has been added to the "beware file" for this version
of Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 07:26:18 EST
From: Noah Diesbourg <IND@WINDSOR1>
Subject: Kermit for RSX-11/M v3.2 and/or Hyperion PC?

Is anyone running Kermit on a

    PDP 11/34 with RSX 11M ver 3.2
             or a
    Hyperion PC?

[Ed. - According to K11INS.DOC, the minimum version of RSX that Kermit-11
can run under is 4.1.  The author's advice to people in this situation is to
upgrade.  It is recognized, however, that there are many old PDP-11 systems
out there that can't be easily upgraded.  There are rumors of bare-bones
remote-only Kermit programs written in Fortran for earlier releases of RSX,
but none of these programs has yet surfaced.  If anyone wants to send one
in, it would be appreciated.  The Hyperion is an IBM-incompatible MS-DOS
system, and should be able to run "generic" MS-DOS Kermit.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 86 11:39 EST
From: <BRIAN@UOFT02.BITNET> (brian nelson)
Subject: Problem with P-E Kermit?

This was sent to me by someone using kermit dialup access here.
Anyone know about Perkin-Elmer Kermit?

Brian@Uoft02.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 86 09:07:00 PST
From: jfisher@USGS3-VMS
Subject: PR1ME Kermit with connect capability?

I am in need of a Kermit implementation for PR1ME machines that can be run
in local mode, 'dialing-out' through a comm. port to another mini Kermit, so
as to transfer files between them.  I spoke to Leslie Spira of The Source,
who said she didn't have one, but she had a vague recollection that somebody
else might have modified her PR1ME Kermit to allow it to connect out. Does
anybody out there have such a beast ?

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------