Date: Thu 22 Jan 87 15:13:03-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Kermit for PICK (REALITY) OS on Microdata Systems

This is to announce a version of Kermit for the PICK operating system,
contributed by Joe Fisher, a computer consultant in Austin, Texas.  This
first release, 0.2C, is written in DATA/BASIC (with some Microdata assembler
subroutines), and has been successfully run only on the Microdata (now
McDonald Douglas) REALITY systems under version 4.2E of the REALITY (the
original PICK) operating system.  It is very much still in the development
stage (as reflected by the version number) and a great deal of work will be
necessary in order to bring it up to the expectations of the Kermit user
community.  It will transfer error-free data however, and has been used with
a number of other Kermits, including IBM PCs with MS-DOS, DEC Pro-350 with
P/OS, VAX/VMS, PDP-11 with RSX, etc.  The programs have been transferred to
PICK 1.3 running on the IBM PC-XT and testing is underway.  Changes in the
I/O code will have to be made there but operation should be more reliable
than on the Microdata.

For the purposes of Kermit distribution, the numerous files have been packed
together into two large files, PICK.BAS and PICK.DOC -- source and
documentation, respectively.  Each file-within-a-file starts with a line of
the form

<<< name >>>

in which "name" is the actual name of the original file.  The files are
available in KER:PICK.* on CU20B, and as PICK * from KERMSRV at CUVMA on
BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 Jan 87 12:12:15-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Kermit for the CIE 680/XX Microcomputer

This is to announce a version of Kermit for the CIE 680/XX microcomputer,
contributed by David S. Lawyer of the University of California at Irvine.
This program is only a stopgap measure until a later version of Kermit (the
so called C-Kermit for example) can be ported to the CIE.  One exception to
this may be for CIE's which only have 256K of RAM.  Since this kermit code
(when compiled) is much shorter than the C-Kermit, it will run well on
computers with limited RAM memory.  This Kermit represents a modification to
the "UNIX Kermit" of 1981-1983.

NOTE TO NON-UCI USERS:  UCI= The University of California at Irvine.
This Kermit program was developed for use at UCI and may not work as well
elsewhere without additional modifications.

The program named kerm (source code kerm.c in the C language) is a program
modified at UCI for use on the CIE computer which adheres to the Kermit
protocols.  You may use Kermit to connect to a remote host, and then log on
to it using the connect command.  Then you may either: use your CIE like a
fairly dumb terminal connected to the remote (i.e. have a session on the
remote computer) or utilize both the CIE Kermit and the Kermit on the remote
to transmit files between the remote and the CIE.

For the purposes of Kermit distribution, the numerous files have been packed
together into four large files, CIE680.C, CIE680.ANN and CIE680.BWR
CIE680.HLP -- source, this message, a beware file and limited documentation,
respectively.  Each file-within-a-file starts with a line of the form

<<< name >>>

in which "name" is the actual name of the original file.  The files are
available in KER:CIE680.* on CU20B, and as CIE680 * from KERMSRV at CUVMA on
BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 Jan 87 12:46:10-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing Kermit for the MODCOMP Classic running MAX IV OS

This is to announce a version of Kermit for the MODCOMP Classic running
under the MAX IV operating system, contributed by BOB BORGESON, of SETPOINT,
Inc., 10245 Brecksville Rd., Brecksville, Ohio 44141.  This release is
version A.0., and is written in FORTRAN and Assembler and should be compiled
with a FR5 compiler and assembled using the M5A assembler.  The program has
been tested between the MODCOMP and an IBM PC running PROCOMM, a Macintosh
with Red Ryder and a micro-VAX with Kermit-32.  MODCOMP Kermit has been
donated to the MODCOMP user group, MUSE.

For the purposes of Kermit distribution, the numerous files have been packed
together into three large files, MODCMP.ASM, MODCMP.ANN and MODCMP.DOC --
source, this announcement and documentation, respectively.  Each
file-within-a-file starts with a line of the form

<<< name >>>

in which "name" is the actual name of the original file.  The files are
available in KER:MODCMP.* on CU20B, and as MODCMP * from KERMSRV at CUVMA on
BITNET.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 87 10:39:40 ULG
From: Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD@BLIULG12>
Subject: Kermit BITNET Distribution

I recently ordered Mcintosh Kermit from KERMSERV at CUVMA to be sent here to
the University of Liege in Belgium.  This was on the 11th of this month.  12
days after, I just received CKMKER.HQX from the net. I am still waiting for a
DOC file.  And I had promised it for 20th.  Now, during that time, I've had
some peeping into BITNIC's RSCS queue.  It used to amount to a mean 400 to
800 files. I have been amazed by the number of apparently huge Kermit files
(QUKERMIT) waiting for a chance to go.  Short files take over larger ones and
get reasonable delays.  Now my suggestion.  Why not spare a sattelite channel
and install a Kermit redistribution site on the net this side the atlantic?
The problem being where and how to raise interest, you might take advantage
of Info-Kermit to ask for candidates.  If you give away the file server and
claim for reasonable disk space and maintenance time, I think there might
well be some candidates.  The only problem is, consequently, traffic load.
It costs nothing to ask anyway.  Sincerely yours.

[Ed. - Sorry for the inconvenience.  Are there any BITNET (EARN) sites in
Europe that would be willing to act as BITNET Kermit file servers?  We
(Columbia) would be glad to send periodic tapes.  KERMSRV software is
available for VM/CMS, written in Columbia Wylbur Exec language, and for
VAX/VMS written in DCL.  A Kermit BITNET file server could also be
implemented using LISTSERV, which is already widely used in Europe.  The
collection currently stands at about 50 megabytes, and growing.  Meanwhile,
European sites might find it easier to take advantage of the European Kermit
tape distribution centers, one at Lancaster University serving the UK and
Eire, and for continental distribution, "Club Kermit" based in France, a
DECUS VMS SIG-style tape distribution tree.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 20 Jan 87 00:09:01-EST
From: Christopher P. Lent <OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Wang Kermit 2.29a Works!!!

I got the Wang-PC version of Kermit working. I also included all the 2.29a
modules and they seem to work perfectly.

So now all it's missing is:
  Modem control for hangup
  Define/show Key
  Terminal Emulator (beyond WANG BIOS support).
  Actual port names corresponding to Kermit's idea.
   (Currently COM1 and COM2 are equivalent to AUX).

Many things work now which didn't before:
  A. SET BAUD works (up to 19200 baud!)
  B. Status no longer crashes kermit with "Divide overflow".
  C. 2.29a commands (transmit,pause,input ... )

I'm working on the missing parts but I figured I'd send along a MSTWNG.EXE and
MSTWNG.BOO file to allow some of the rest of the world to get going while I
finish this up.

The version number on this version is:

Wang (CP Lent 19 Jan 87) Kermit-MS V2.29a 1 Oct 86

Chris Lent

OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU	(ARPA)
PEDHEM@CUCCFA			(BITNET)
ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!chris	(UUCP)

[Ed. - Thanks!  The files have been placed in KER:MSTWNG.BOO and
KB:MSTWNG.EXE, and the new Wang support will be included in the next
release.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 87 09:38 EST
From: <MICHOT@UBVMS.BITNET>
Subject: Mskermit Version 2.29 Keys for the IBM PC

Hi - regarding Doug Moncur's mapping of VT100 keys for use with MS Kermit
2.29 for the IBM PC keyboard; here at the University Of Buffalo the Micro
Information Center distributes MS Kermit 2.29 to students, faculty and
staff.  A locally written, 140K ASCII file is included, discussing specific
file transfer/emulation situations, especially in VMS and CMS.  Here is a
fairly long excerpt from the file.  If you are interested in receiving the
entire 140K file, please send a blank IBM PC diskette with a written request
and return mailer to Micro Services Group, University Of Buffalo, Computing
Center, Buffalo, NY 14260.  Please note that no electronic requests will be
acknowledged.  However, I can send the entire file to Columbia University if
you feel it is worth considering as an addition to your current MS Kermit
distribution files.

Hope this helps- MICHOT = Micro Services Staff
michot@ubvmsc.bitnet

       MS Kermit 2.29 uses the IBM PC function key area for these
       functions.  The IBM PC numeric keypad area DOES NOT correlate
       to the VT100 keypad area in MS Kermit 2.29.  In the IBM PC
       function key area, the following diagram shows how the PC
       function keys are defined as VT100 keypad keys:

                                            (shifted function keys)

          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       F1 |  PF 1   | F2 |  PF 2   |    SF1 | KeyPad  | SF2 | KeyPad  |
          |         |    |         |        |    6    |     |   ,     |
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       F3 |  PF 3   | F4 |  PF 4   |    SF3 | KeyPad  | SF4 | KeyPad  |
          |         |    |         |        |    1    |     |   2     |
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       F5 | KeyPad  | F6 | KeyPad  |    SF5 | KeyPad  | SF6 |  Enter  |
          |    7    |    |    8    |        |    3    |     |         |
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       F7 | KeyPad  | F8 | KeyPad  |    SF7 | KeyPad  | SF8 | KeyPad  |
          |    9    |    |    -    |        |    0    |     |    .    |
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       F9 | KeyPad  | F10| KeyPad  |    SF9 |  Not    | SF10|  Not    |
          |    4    |    |    5    |        |  Used   |     |  Used   |
          +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+

        To function effectively in CMS, you need to know what function
         keys on the IBM PC perform what function in CMS.  The
         following diagrams illustrate how you would use the IBM PC
         function keys (and shifted function keys) in CMS:

                                                (shifted function keys)

             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F1 |  PFK1   | F2 |  PFK2   |    SF1 |  PFK9   | SF2 |   PA3   |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F3 |  PFK3   | F4 |   PA1   |    SF3 |  PFK10  | SF4 |  PFK11  |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F5 |  PFK4   | F6 |  PFK5   |    SF5 |  PFK12  | SF6 |  Clear  |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F7 |  PFK6   | F8 |   PA2   |    SF7 |         | SF8 | Insert  |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F9 |  PFK7   | F10|  PFK8   |    SF9 |         | SF10|         |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+

         The next diagram scopes out the IBM PC function key
         definitions using the XEDIT CMS Editor with MS Kermit 2.29:

                                                (shifted function keys)

             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F1 |  Help   | F2 |   SOS   |    SF1 |         | SF2 |         |
             |         |    | Lineadd |        |         |     |         |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F3 |  Quit   | F4 | BRKKEY  |    SF3 | Rgtleft | SF4 | Spltjoin|
             |         |    |         |        |         |     |         |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F5 | TabKey  | F6 | SChange |    SF5 | Cursor  | SF6 |  Clear  |
             |         |    |    6    |        |  Home   |     | Cmd line|
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F7 | Redisply| F8 |         |    SF7 |         | SF8 | Insert  |
             | Subcomm |    |         |        |         |     |         |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
          F9 | Backward| F10| Forward |    SF9 |         | SF10|         |
             |         |    |         |        |         |     |         |
             +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+

       The next diagram illustrates the EDT full screen editor
       keypad definitions that would be used on the IBM PC
       function key area using MS Kermit 2.29:

                                         (shifted function keys)

       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
    F1 |  Gold   | F2 |  Help   |    SF1 |   Cut   | SF2 |  Del C  |
       |         |    |         |        | [Paste] |     | [Und C] |
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
    F3 |Find Next| F4 |  Del L  |    SF3 |  Word   | SF4 |   Eol   |
       | [Find]  |    | [Und L] |        |[Cngcase]|     |[Del Eol]|
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
    F5 |  Page   | F6 |  Sect   |    SF5 |  Char   | SF6 |  Enter  |
       |  [Cmd]  |    | [Fill]  |        |[Specins]|     |  [Subs] |
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
    F7 |  Append | F8 |  Del W  |    SF7 |  Line   | SF8 | Select  |
       |  [Repl] |    | [Und W] |        |[Open Ln]|     | [Reset] |
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+
    F9 | Advance | F10| Backup  |    SF9 |  Not    | SF10|  Not    |
       | [Bottom]|    | [Top]   |        |  Used   |     |  Used   |
       +---------+    +---------+        +---------+     +---------+

        Press GOLD get first to get bracketed [] functions

------------------------------

Date: Mon 19 Jan 87 22:44-EST
From: Ed Barton <EB%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Bad Filenames in MS-DOS Kermit Version 2.29

The IBM-PC implementation of Kermit 2.29 does not catch filenames that are
actually device names.  This was a great deal of trouble to figure out,
though perhaps the problem should have been obvious when it occurred.  For
example, if the file AUX.C is transferred to IBM-PC Kermit, Kermit will get
an error trying to write device AUX, which is how MS-DOS interprets the
filename AUX.C.  AUX.C should have been changed to XAUX.C or something.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 87 21:07:55 est
From: Joel Seiferas  <joel@rochester.arpa>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit Version 2.29b

     During a file transfer, in both 2.29a and 2.29b, the "File name" and
"KBytes transferred" data usually flash only briefly on my screen before
disappearing.  I'm working at 1200 baud, over a phone line; and I am dis-
playing on an IBM Monochrome Display, via a 64K IBM EGA.  My PC is an early
one, but I have updated the BIOS and replaced the 8088 with an NEC V20.  My
screen driver is Fansi-Console 2.0.

				Joel Seiferas
				joel@rochester

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1987 11:40 EST
From: Lawrence Fan <GYACC@CUNYVM>
Subject: Problems Compiling C-Kermit on ATT 3BX Systems

I am having a compile problem with C-Kermit 4D(061) on ATT 3BX systems.  I
get warnings when I compile.  Not enough to kill the process but
nevertheless, trouble.  The 'make' did finish and I do have wermit and it is
able to run...  but the warnings are bothering me.  I am enclosing the
warnings when I do 'make att3bx':

	cc -DUXIII -DATT3BX -DDEBUG -DTLOG -i -O -c ckuusr.c
"ckuusr.c", line 1047: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
"ckuusr.c", line 1048: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =

	cc -DUXIII -DATT3BX -DDEBUG -DTLOG -i -O -c ckutio.c
ckutio.c: 23: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
ckutio.c: 94: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
ckutio.c: 451: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
ckutio.c: 1151: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
ckutio.c: 1166: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
ckutio.c: 1574: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
"ckutio.c", line 950: warning: illegal pointer combination, op ==

	cc -DUXIII -DATT3BX -DDEBUG -DTLOG -i -O -c ckudia.c
"ckudia.c", line 583: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"ckudia.c", line 623: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
"ckudia.c", line 624: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =

	cc -DUXIII -DATT3BX -DDEBUG -DTLOG -i -O -c ckuscr.c
"ckuscr.c", line 253: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =

Thanks a lot for your help.

[Ed. - There are two problems.  First, your compiler is complaining about
"extra tokens" after #endif and #else directives in ckutio.c, the most
heavily conditionalized module of C-Kermit.  These "tokens" are merely the
proprocessor variables (like ATT3BX) from the matching #if, added for
clarity.  Most compilers don't complain about them, and they don't seem to
be causing any real problem.  Perhaps in the next release they should be
turned into real comments, e.g. "#endif V7" will become "#endif /* V7 */".

All the other messages ("illegal pointer combination") have to do with the
signal() function; see signal(2) in your Unix manual.  'signal()' is
supposedly declared (in <signal.h>) like so:

    int (*signal(sig,func))();
    int sig;
    void (*func)();

i.e. 'signal' is a pointer to a function that returns an integer (see p.195
of the C book).  The 'func' is either a symbol, such as SIG_IGN, defined in
<signal.h>, or a pointer to an integer function that you supply.  Symbols
are defined like so in <signal.h>, at least on my 4.2BSD system:

    #define SIG_IGN (int (*)())1

i.e. a pointer to an imaginary function that returns a constant of 1 (did I
say that right?)  When you invoke signal() to associate a new function with
a particular signal, it's supposed to return a pointer to the function that
was previously associated with that signal, allowing you to save, restore,
and test the interrupt structure.  Thus Kermit does things like:

    int (*istat)(), (*qstat)();

>   istat = signal(SIGINT,SIG_IGN);	/* Let the fork handle keyboard */
>   qstat = signal(SIGQUIT,SIG_IGN);    /* interrupts itself... */
      :
      :
    signal(SIGINT,istat);		/* Restore interrupts */
    signal(SIGQUIT,qstat);

and

>   if (signal(SIGINT,SIG_IGN) == SIG_IGN) ... ;

Your compiler is complaining about the statements marked with ">" because it
believes there is a type mismatch between signal() and istat, qstat, and
SIG_IGN.  Check the definition of signal() in your system's <signal.h> and
see if you can find out why, then let us know.  The rest of the "illegal
pointer combinations" are of the same nature.  If some new release of the
ATT 3BX C compiler and/or header files is causing this problem, we'll have
to do something special within ATT3BX conditionals, since the current setup
seems to cause no problems on other systems.  Let's hear it for portability...
Can any ATT 3BX System V experts out there shed any further light?]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 87 06:22:28 GMT
From: ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury)
Subject: Update on Commodore-64/C-128 Kermit Wanted

A few months ago, someone asked if there were any plans to update the C-64
kermit for a native mode C-128 kermit.  I have been watching with bated breath
for a reply (but apparently in vain).  It seems that with the expanded memory
available in the 128 that a significantly better version could be made, without
requiring the users to resort to the CP/M mode to get a better kermit.  Any
information on this project would be appreciated.

Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
CEO, Research Triangle C-64/128 User's Group
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw                 The line eater is a boojum snark!

End of Info-Kermit Digest

-------