Date: Wed 19 Feb 87 12:24:16-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit Becomes Finalist in Fluegelman Award

Kermit has been selected as one of the 11 finalists for the First Andrew
Fluegelman Award.  The award is given for "a substantial, innovative
contribution to the personal community in commercial, shareware, or public
domain software".  The award was established in 1986 by PCW Communications,
Inc. to commemorate Fluegelman's contributions to the software field;
Fluegelman developed PC Talk, "the first easy-to-use and powerful
communications program for the PC".  The annual award is made possible
through a fund which was established in his name after his death in July,
1985.  Six reputable judges are currently evaluating Kermit software.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Feb 87 12:24:16-EST
From: Christine M Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.29B for IBM PC Family Installed

A "maintenance release" of MS-DOS Kermit for the IBM PC family and compatibles
has been installed in the Kermit distribution as the preferred PC Kermit
version, to bridge the gap between version 2.29, which has several serious bugs
(the worst two: it can't transfer files when using half duplex line turnaround
handshaking, and it has trouble with certain internal modems), and 2.30, which
will be the next major release.  The interim release is dubbed 2.29B, dated 19
Feb 87, and fixes most known bugs and problems in 2.29.  It is essentially the
same as the version announced in Info-Kermit V6 #2 on 20 Jan 87, but with a
couple additional bug fixes.  Starting now, this will be the version that comes
on our PC Kermit distribution diskette.

The program is in KER:MSTIBM.BOO (decodable into an .EXE file using an MSBPCT
program), and the list of corrections is in KER:MSKERM.BWR.  This version also
contains, in "preview form" some of the new featues planned for 2.30, including
ANSI printer control, Kermit script language, and extended-length packet
support.  Description of these new features is in KER:MSR29B.UPD.  Sources for
this version are not available, since they are still undergoing rapid change as
2.30 is readied for release.  Profuse thanks to Prof. Joe R.  Doupnik of Utah
State University for the tremendous amount of work and skill that went into
this release, and is also going into 2.30, and to the many volunteers who
helped test the various fixes and changes.  Much more will be said about this
when 2.30 is released.

------------------------------

Date: 2-FEB-1987 09:02:30
From: SYSKERMIT%vax1.central.lancaster.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Bug in QK-Kermit TV4010 Emulation

We have been trying to implement the QK - tv4010 version of kermit running
under MS-DOS on an IBM and an IBM clone and have run into some difficulties.
First of all there is a bug in the connect.pas source file for the tv4010
where a comment has been placed in the middle of the definition for the tab
spacing, this is easily overcome by moving the comment.  Other problems have
not proved so easy to solve:

   Once the file has been compiled with the relevant Turbo Graphics routines
we tried to do some graph plotting with routines from simpleplot on a VAX
under VMS4.3, we then discovered you need the file 4x6.fon on the disk, with
this we got some rather poor and sometimes unintelligable text.  Our graph
plotted well enough but that was it, the emulator did not seen able to cope
with being told to leave graphics mode, the only way out I could find was to
reboot the micro !!!! and then run kermit again.  Does anyone have a lead on
this problem?

    Another strange problem came to light.  On running one of our VAX FORTRAN
programmes which runs perfectly well on a standard terminal and under Kermit
2.29a on the micros, and which does not involve graphics we found that it
gives different results ??!!??  (No we don't believe it either!!)

    I hope these comments will be of some use, and perhaps there is someone
around who has encountered and overcome them.

                Yours,
                       Graham Barlow  (GKB1@UK.AC.YORK.VAXA)

[Ed. - Thanks for the comments -- they've been kept as KER:QKMSTV.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 87 17:26 EST
From: Mark B. Johnson <CDTAXW@IRISHMVS>
Subject: ProDOS Apple // Kermit

exist a very nice 80-column, interrupt-driven, ProDOS version of Kermit for
the Apple II series.  Ted Medin has done a great job with the Stevens
version and is currently up to V3.73 which works well in 80-column mode and
with ProDOS.  It runs as a shell program so it must be used with
BASIC.SYSTEM, and currently it has to be installed (originally) under DOS
3.3.  It supports both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS and works with several serial
interfaces.

I am currently working on a version specific to ProDOS 16 and the IIGS, and
I hope when finished to pare it back for ProDOS 8 with mouse support on the
rest of the II line.  Check the file AAWAIT on KERMSRV for more details on
all the Apple II Kermits.

Mark

[Ed. - Because of some uncertainty about who's doing what to which version,
Ted's Kermit hasn't been installed in the Columbia Kermit distribution yet.
See below.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Feb 87 13:41:08-PST
From: Mark Crimmins  <CRIMMINS@CSLI.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: An Apple// ProDOS 80-col Kermit

My query in a previous Digest was rewarded:  Ted Medin replies,

>From: Ted Medin <MEDIN@NOSC-SHARK.ARPA>
>To: crimmins@csli.stanford.edu
>Subject: kermit
>
> We have been running 80 cols for a couple of years and prodos for
>a year or so. Ftp to nosc-shark.arpa as anonymous then:
>
> cd ker*mit.           - dont forget the .
> hash                  - so you can see the bytes fly (or crawl)
> get readme            - read this for instructions
> dir                   - you will need this after reading
>
>                                  Ted

The program works great.  It's a shell to BASIC.SYSTEM, has all the usual
functions, and even a limited server mode.  For some reason I haven't
tracked down yet, though, a program run after leaving this kermit, but
without rebooting ProDOS, will often crash (this makes it not so good a
thing to run from a /ram disk, etc.).

I also received several promising messages of fancy Apple Kermits in the
works for the IIGS, and for II's with mouse-interfaces, etc.  Can't wait.

Mark

------------------------------

From: rutgers!lll-lcc!cae780!videovax.TEK.COM!stever@columbia.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 87 08:52:39 PST
Subject: Differences between Unix C-Kermit and Amiga C-Kermit

A few months ago, I received copies of C-Kermit 4D(060) for both our
VAX and my Amiga.  Since I am by nature curious, I diff-ed the files
that both had in common.  I found some interesting things (e.g., in
the Unix source for ckwart.c, there was a missing parameter in an
"fprintf" statement), some changes one would expect (e.g., a bunch
of added "#if[n]def AMIGA . . . #endif" constructs), and lots of
seemingly unnecessary changes.

In a number of the Amiga ckc* and cku* files, form feeds (^L) were
substituted for the blank lines or "/*Form Feed*/" comments that were
present in the Unix version.  When one diffs the two versions of
ckucmd.c, ckuusr.c, ckuus2.c, and ckuus3.c, reams of output showing
the spacing changes obscure the real differences between the two files.

In these same files, the Amiga versions have "printf" substituted for
each occurrence of "printf2" and "printf3".  The following usage counts
were obtained with grep:

                                      Amiga             Unix
                                      -----             ----

                   /   printf           52               13
        ckucmd.c  {    printf2           0               33
                   \   printf3           0                7

                   /   printf          104               63
        ckuusr.c  {    printf2           0               31
                   \   printf3           0               14

                   /   printf            7                1
        ckuus2.c  {    printf2           0                4
                   \   printf3           0                2

                   /   printf           36               31
        ckuus3.c  {    printf2           0                4
                   \   printf3           0                1

It is my understanding that the intent is that C-Kermit be compilable on
any compiler (no matter how old), even if it does not support variable
numbers of arguments.  Thus, the Amiga versions of these files are not
compatible with the generally-distributed C-Kermit sources.  I do not
understand why these changes were made, as they serve only to relieve
the C preprocessor of an insignificant burden.  (I would hope that all
the compilers available for the Amiga can handle a "#define printf2
printf"!)

Not only do these changes make the supposedly "common" parts of the
Amiga C-Kermit source unique, they also cause diff to produce reams of
output, obscuring the true nature of the differences between the Amiga
sources and the Unix sources.

An even more serious consideration to Amiga owners (myself included), is
the risk of becoming cut off from the mainstream of C-Kermit development.
Recently (Info-Kermit Digest, Vol. 6 No. 1), Gordon Scott reported a bug
that seems to reside in ckcfns.c.  Since this file was not modified
significantly by the Amiga C-Kermit developers, a fix could be installed
simply by recompiling with the updated file.  However, if a bug is found
in ckucmd.c or ckuus[r23].c, we would have to depend on the people who
did the port to the Amiga to update the source files, or hand-install
the changes from the diffs.

I realize that C-Kermit propagates primarily by volunteer labor, and that
those who keep it all together at Columbia have relatively little control
over the individual implementations.  I would hope, though, that gentle
persuasion will be applied to those who charge down unmarked paths, thus
increasing the entropy of C-Kermit.

I would be happy to write a letter containing these thoughts to the
developers of the Amiga version of C-Kermit.  However, I do not wish to
hassle them if my understanding is incorrect.  Please let me know what
the situation is with regard to the Amiga version, and if you think a
letter to the Software Distillery would help.

					Steve Rice
{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

[Ed. - You will find most of your complaints are addressed in 4D(061), released
in September 86 -- one of its main purposes was to replace the Amiga support,
putting the rest of C-Kermit more or less back the way it was.]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 87 07:11 +0100
From: W._Michael_Terenyi%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Kermit over DECserver-200

Re: Info-Kermit Digest V6 #1

We use Kermit over our DECserver-200's without any problems.

Our configuration is:

VAX8300-DEBNT(BI Ethernet Interface)-DECserver-200/MC(with modem control)-
Sytek LocalNet-20 (Broadband LAN)-any PC (AT, XT, HP150, Apple).  The ports
on the DECservers are configured for a dedicated service to our VAX, i.e.
the DECserver is invisible for the user who seems to be connected to the VAX
directly.  We have a speed of 9600 baud and XON/XOFF flow control (as opposed
to Greg Elder's opinion mentioned in Kermit Info Digest V6 #1).

Best regards, Michael.

Real Name:     Wolfgang Michael Terenyi
MAILNET:       W._Michael_Terenyi_(SANDOZ)@QZCOM.MAILNET
ARPANET:       W._Michael_Terenyi_(SANDOZ)%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
JANET:         W._Michael_Terenyi_(SANDOZ)%QZCOM@UK.AC.YORK.KL
BITNET:        P1117@QZCOM
CompuServe:    76067,1434
Telephone:     +43 222 867511-616
G3 Fax:        +43 222 867018
Telex:         132287 sfi a
Real Address:  SANDOZ Research Institute
               Brunner Str. 59
               A-1235 Vienna
               Austria, Europe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 87 14:35:23 SA
From: "Kai U. Leppamaki" <LK-KLE@FINHUT>
Subject: SET ETOA/ATOE in CMS KERMIT

Andre Pirard (and others, including myself) have made alternative translation
tables to be used with CMS KERMIT.  The problem is, however, that modifications
introduced simply by SET ETOA/ATOE commands only work on IBM 7171 (or similar)
protocol converter lines where file transfer is based on "transparent" mode
operation (i.e. no EBCDIC<->ASCII conversion done by the operating system).

On half duplex "dumb" tty-lines (3705 or the like) the ETOA & ATOE tables
must not modified.  They must match the system tables in order to have KERMIT
working at all !

However, I have modified CMS KERMIT 3.1 to include additional translation
tables.  They only affect transmitted data within KERMIT but not the way
packets are coded/decoded.  The user may freely modify these new tables but
not the original tables which still must remain intact.

I trust Andre's translation tables are fully compatible with my modifications
although not applicable here in Finland - different tables must be developped
for each language and/or national convention.  I have composed Finnish tables
for the Mac and IBM PC character sets.

Kai U. Leppamaki
TeKoLa (= Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Centre)
Espoo, Finland
Acknowledge-To: <LK-KLE@FINHUT>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 87 08:24:53 est
From: jl42#@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove)
Subject: C-Kermit on SCO Xenix V

I am attempting to use C-Kermit (dated April 1986, from CMCCTE::PK:<KERMIT>)
on an IBM PC/AT compatible (as yet, no compatibility problems- been running
for over a year) configured with two serial ports, com1: and com2: with a
modem attached to com1. I can use the modem fine from DOS, but under the
S.C.O. Xenix System V version 2.1.3 that I have just installed I can not
convince CKermit to talk to the modem. The XENIX system has allowed calls to
come in, and indicates that it should work with communication software (it
has uucp utilities that I am clueless about) so I think it must just be an
idiosyncrasy that I don't know how to deal with between CKermit and my
machine.

If anyone has information about getting CKermit to run on an SCO XENIX V
operating system on an AT, please help!

Thanks in advance-
 Jay Libove
		 jl42@andrew.cmu.edu
		 jl42@cmuccvma.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 6 February 1987  16:52-MST
From: nosc!humu!uhmanoa!uhccux!todd@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU (The Perplexed Wiz)
Subject: Kermit & Curses Box Function Problem?

Does anyone have a fix for the Kermit H19 and VT102 emulation modes?  I've
noticed that at least one curses function does not work correctly with
Kermit: box.  I am fairly sure of this because I switched to the Mark of the
Unicorn PC/InterComm VT100 emulator to make sure it was not some PC
flakiness causing the problem.  The curses functions worked fine using the
PC/InterComm emulator.

Given the following conditions:
	Ultrix 1.2 (sort of 4.2bsd) on a VAX 8650
	set term=vt100
	Kermit 2.29 on any kind of PC, AT, or clone
	CGA or EGA display
	C program using curses' box function

The symptoms are:
	Only the top and right edges are displayed
	move'd alphanumerics sometimes appear and sometimes don't
		after a refresh() call.

Thanks....todd

Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd
ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.ARPA
INTERNET:	todd@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 87 11:58 EST
From: Mark B. Johnson <CDTAXW%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: MacKermit on a 128K Machine?

Is anyone successfully using MacKermit V0.8(34) on a 128K machine?  I am sure
we had done it here sometime back, but I have tried it recently with several
different versions of the Finder and System and keep getting system crashes
when trying to Send files.  We are sure it is the System and Finder, and are
wondering if anyone who might be doing it successfully could send us their
configuration.  Thanks again.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 29 Jan 87 08:53:33-CST
From: David M. Gracia <DGRACIA@STL-HOST1.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit-Intel (MLINK)?

Does anyone have any experience running Kermit on a Wyse pc talking to
Kermit under MLINK on an Intel 310 If so, I need to know your secret. I am
not having any luck getting it to run.  Thanks.
	Dave

------------------------------

Date: Wed 25 Feb 87 17:36:33-GMT
From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dundee-tech.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: Apple 2 GS and Kermit?

Has anyone tried apple kermit on the GS ? I have had a query from someone I
sent a kermit disc saying that they can't get it to run on the GS. Well I
don't have a GS...

It seems they are using DOS 3.3 and the Super Serial Card. I thought the GS
had a built in serial port which emulated a slot card. If so what happens
when u plug in another card ? Kermit runs and goes into connect mode but
neither seems to receive or transmit although the escape sequence does
return to kermit command level. I've pointed out all the usual pitfalls with
Apple kermit such as serial chip not initialised but it doesn't seem to
help.

Any pointers from anyone using the GS and/or SSC card with kermit welcome.

Alan Greig
Computer Centre
Dundee College of Technology

Janet: Alan@UK.AC.DCT (Alan%DCT@UK.AC.DUNDEE)
Arpa:  Alan%UK.AC.DCT@CS.UCL.AC.UK

[Ed. - See message above about the Apple II GS.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 87 12:28:40 PST
From: zz1ml%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Michael Laver)
Subject: C-Kermit on an AT&T 7300?

Has anyone had any luck creating a C-Kermit for the AT&T 7300 (the "Unix
PC"). Both "make sys3" and "make sys3nid" leave me with the error message

	Stop. Don't know how to make chcdeb.h

I downloaded the shar files to an IBM PC, read them into the 7300, and
converted the case of the filenames.

Any help would be appreciated.

				--Mick Laver
				laver@sdcc3.ucsd.edu