[mod.protocols] This failed mail has got to stop.

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP.UUCP (08/17/86)

From now on, I intend to send a copy of every single failed mail
message I get from "red.rutgers.edu" to the mailing list that
is failing, until those assholes fix their mailer.

Articles posted to Usenet newsgroups (AND arpanet mailinglists)
should NOT produce error messages back to the original sender!
These messages should go to the mailing list maintainer.  For most
lists, they do.

I've tried months of pointing out the problem and pleading with the
administrators.  Erik Fair has done everything he can at the
Usenet/Arpanet gateway.  The problem is with the software and/or
administrators at Rutgers.  I suggest a deluge of messages to
"postmaster@red.rutgers.edu" might help a little.  If not, I'll start a
deluge to the "protocols" mailing list, and to the "atari16" mailing
list, and to the "amiga" mailing list, and any others that they bounce
messages back to me from.

I realize this is antisocial behaviour on my part.  I've tried
politeness as a response to Rutgers' rudeness -- now I'm trying
rudeness.  I'll be glad to stop when (if) they fix the problem.

Date: 15 Aug 86 00:08:07 EDT
From: The Mailer Daemon <Mailer@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: hoptoad!gnu@LLL-CRG.ARPA
Subject: Message of 11-Aug-86 23:41:19

Message undelivered after 3 days -- will try for another 10 days:
welch@AMES-VMSB.ARPA.#Internet: Cannot connect to host
ESTRIN@USC-CSEB.USC.EDU.#Internet: Cannot connect to host
rex.Marine@USGS2-MULTICS.ARPA.#Internet: Cannot connect to host
	    ------------
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 86 14:35:55 PDT
From: hoptoad!gnu@lll-crg.ARPA (John Gilmore)
Subject: Microcomputer protocol proposals lack vision
Newsgroups: mod.protocols
To: protocols@red.rutgers.edu

MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA.UUCP (08/17/86)

I propose that everybody add John Gilmore to every junk mailing list
under their control and make sure he receives at least 2 copies of
every message until such time as he calms down.  If John Gilmore
doesn't like the behavior of a mailing list, he can always solve the
problem by taking himself off it.

I mean, really.  If Gilmore can't write a simple filter to eliminate
these messages unseen, then either he isn't all he's cracked up to be
as a programmer or Unix isn't all it's cracked up to be as an operating
system.  One has to wonder about someone who publicly harangues the
managers of a system that is providing a public service (and worse,
calls them "assholes") on such a trivial problem.
-------