[mod.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk distributed computing systems

Ralph.Hyre@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (12/06/85)

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 85 13:25 PST
From: WATSON#M%SAI@LLL-MFE, "Watson Mark%SAI.MFENET"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: SMALLTALK, LISP, DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING, APPLETALK, MACINTOSH

Subject: Lisp and Smalltalk on the Macintosh

version of the Smalltalk language, I would suggest contacting
Apple Computer Inc.  Apple has made the original Xerox Smalltalk
language available on the Macintosh for $50 (for 7 disks!!).
The Smalltalk system runs on a 512K Mac.  To order Smalltalk,
call 1 408 747-1288 and ask for Paula.

I would like to hear from anyone attempting to use the Appletalk
network to build testbed distributed computing systems.  The
Appletalk network has a fairly low bandwidth (.25 megabits/sec),
but the availability of two good symbolic programming languages
on the Mac (Smalltalk and ExperLisp) would provide a very low
cost system for software development.  I can be reached at
1 619 456-6816.  - Mark Watson