Date: 7 Jan 86 18:17:34 EST
From: Seymour <JOSEPH@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: AppleTalk Projects List
To: info-applebus-request@C.CS.CMU.EDU

The Rutgers University Computer Science Department is using Macintoshes
running MacPascal to teach introductory programming and Lisa 2/5 systems
running the MDS to teach machine architecture and assembly language.

We are currently working on connecting all the machines with Appletalk
and doing print and simple disk serving with a native macintosh product.
(MacServe from Infosphere)

We are also working on getting a SeaGate Ethernet/Appletalk Gateway
up and running to allow us to connect our local AppleTalk networks
together with Ethernet, and to allow the Apple computers to talk to
our Pyramid 90x.  We hope to eventually have some kind of mail and
bulletin board system running as well as more complete and flexible
file and print services.  We would be eager to talk to anyone working
on Appletalk mailers that could use a unix system as the mail server
or people using a unix system to spool an Apple Laserwriter

				Seymour Joseph
				Systems Programmer/Microcomputers
				Rutgers, The State University of NJ
-------

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: 08 Jan 86 20:44:41 +1100 (Wed)
To: info-applebus-request@c.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Project descriptions requested
From: Robert Elz <munnari!kre@seismo.CSS.GOV>

At the University of Melbourne we are building a SEAGATE
with a few differences...  We will be using the AMD LANCE
ethernet chip rather than the Intel chip, and we have dma
(in the form of an MC68440) connected to the Zilog 8530 SCC
chip.

The hardware for this is built - oh yes, its all based on
a local Australian backplane & processor board, so its not
likely to be of much interest to anyone in the US.  That is,
except for a good timer - the hardware we have doesn't have
one of those, so I'm getting one built too - all the delay
loops in the applebus code that assume execution rates will
turn into accurate delay loops watching a timer decrement.
(We're using an Intel timer chip - but I forget its number).

Software work will be starting any time now.  I will be
writing a LANCE driver for the seagate code, and rewriting
the applebus code in C assuming DMA and the timer to get
the hard bits right.

We want to use this to connect our student mac labs to 4.2
systems for the usual purposes - some fileserver access, use of
the macs as unix terminals, and submission of projects done
by students on macs.  Nothing very elaborate really.

However, I would be interested in knowing if anyone has been
working on the EFS code for seagate - that is, if there is
anything newer than what was in the SUMEX <info-mac> archives
from about the middle of last year (July/Aug).

I would also be interested to learn if anyone has done unix
implementations of any of the other appletalk protocols (ATP
DSP, NBP, RTMP, ...).  That is, apart from DDP that everyone
uses.  In fact, when I think about it - does appletalk actually
use those things yet?  Do they exist?  (I'm not much of a mac
user - in fact, I'm not a mac user at all - I just get landed
with interfacing these toys to real systems :-)

Robert Elz		kre%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov

ps: while I'm sending you mail, could I take you up on your
offer of a couple of months ago, and get you to remove us from
the appletalk mailing list.  We are getting the list through
mod.protocols.appletalk (or whatever its called) and don't
need it twice.  I waited to make sure that the usenet group
was actually working - it appears to be.  Thanks.  kre

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 86 09:17:28 est
From: Mark Verber <verber%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-applebus-request@c.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: current projects

Hi,

We currently have a number of projects going on involving Appletalk.  Our
first, favorite, and mabye most important is the playing of mazewar!  Joking
aside, we currently have 60 Macintoshes configured on 4 Appletalk networks.
Each Appletalk has a Laserwriter, and will have a Kinematics SeaGate which
we will connect to our departmental ethernet.  We will be using our Vax as
a fileserver using efs.

Projects are:

1. Bring up efs with the kinematics box.
2. Bring up C-MU/Darthmouth's MacIP on the kinematics box.
3. Translate MacIP into C.
4. Biuld a mail tool modelled after the Xerox XDE mail tool.  This will also
   be implimented on all our workstations along with a mail/name server
   which will run on a number of our Unix boxes.

Cheers,
Mark Verber

Message 4 -- ************************
Date: 9 Jan 1986 14:19:40-EST
From: Tim.Maroney@K.CS.CMU.EDU
To: info-applebus-request@c.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Laser Writer print spooler

In my last month at CMU before going to work on Appletalk in Berkeley at
Centram, I am working on an Apple Laser Writer print spooler for UNIX.  The
system runs on the Multi-Device Queuing System (MDQS) developed at BRL.
Macintosh jobs for the LW are intercepted by a UNIX system on an Ethernet
(connected to Appletalk by a Seagate), which is running a PAP (Printer
Access Protocol) daemon.  The PostScript job is stored on UNIX and later
sent to the Laser Writer when possible.  POstScript jobs can also be
generated on UNIX (e.g., DVI to PostScript translator) and queued to the
Laser Writer on Appletalk.  This is about to start prototype testing and
a complete, though unfinished (black, yet white; clear, yet opaque) prototype
should be finished by the time I leave at the end of January.

A small amount of MacIP debugging and upgrading is also going on.  A very,
very small amount.  Incidentally, I am considering the possibility of making
MacIP a licensed and supported product; CMU has no real plans for the software
other than local deployment plans, and no plans for support.  Any interest?

Tim

Message 5 -- ************************
Date: 9 January 86 14:32-PST
From:  DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-APPLEBUS-REQUEST@CMU-CS-C.ARPA
Subject: project list request

Date: 9 January 1986, 14:29:31 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-APPLEBUS-REQUEST at CMU-CS-C.ARPA

This is in response to your request for APPLETALK projects:

    We are working here at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
on interfacing macintoshes with a custom piece of hardware on an
Appletalk network.  The custom hardware sits on a FASTBUS data acquisition
system and is used to diagnose problems with the FASTBUS system.

David Gelphman  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET

Message 6 -- ************************
Date: 26 Jan 1986 11:37-EST
From: mss%dartmouth.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Using Appletalk in a class
To: info-applebus@xx.lcs.mit.edu

I'd just thought I'd let people know that we have been using an AppleTalk
network for our systems design/data structures class. Students program with
TML Pascal, a two disk system. The way we have arranged things, our
Macintoshes live on the network with an XL/Serve disk server and a
LaserWriter. Students use a "special" disk to boot the Macintosh, then
connect to a shared (locked) class disk on the disk server that contains a
system, finder, Pascal compiler, and other system software. They eject the
special boot disk, option-double-click the finder on the class disk, and
they are now running diskless using a system disk with about 1M of "useful"
programs.  The students' programs live on the students' private disks which
are placed in the internal drive. Students can print MacWrite documents from
the diskless system as well. However, to edit a MacWrite document, paint a
MacPaint document or print an Edit document requires a disk that can be
written to. Therefore we have 5 tiny private disks on the disk server
containing Edit and MacPaint which students can "check out" for
printing/editing and then return to the server when done. We assume that
they have their own MacWrite disks for editing and do not need our system at
all. We're living with three problems: 1) XL/Serve is slightly slower than
Sony drivers (we're running with a large cache on XL/Serve and seem to be
running nearly completely out of the Lisa cache); 2) It is inconvenient to
boot/setup, especially when a program bombs or gets into an infinite loop
(students now routinely call InitDialog with a procedure that exits to shell
instead of forcing the reboot); 3) MacPaint does not like the LaserWriter or
XL/Serve. If one tries to just "Print" from the finder, MacPaint does not
use draft mode, which the LaserWriter wants; if one opens a MacPaint
document, prints it, closes it, and opens another, MacPaint dies (bomb ID =
2). If anyone has a better way, we'd like to hear about it, but this is how
we dealt with the problem of providing everyone a second disk drive, plenty
of systems software and access to a LaserWriter.

Message 7 -- ************************
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 86 08:52:55 pst
From: Tom Malloy <malloy@Argus>
To: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu
Cc: gd.why@forsythe, malloy@Argus

We are very much interested in receiving a copy of the descriptions
as they become available.  Please include me and/or Bill Yundt
(gd.why@su-forsythe.arpa) on your distribution list.

We are also interested in providing AppleTalk support within the
Stanford Internet and expect to devote some resources to it in the
coming months.  Unfotunately, until we get a IP-based AppleTalk-Ethernet
gateway from Kinetics and evaluate some of the PC-IP spawned software from
CMU, MIT, et. al.  I find it difficult to characterize our specific plans.
I expect we will undertake a port of our PC-IP software, including FTP,
to the Mac but the C-based code has the disadvantage that it has had
none of the integration to the Mac user environment done to it that
the Pascal version at CMU has.  Sigh.

Thanks,

Tom Malloy

-------