[mod.protocols.appletalk] info-applebus psuedo digest v1 #1 AppleTalk length limits

Ralph.Hyre@C.CS.CMU.EDU ("Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.") (02/19/86)

This list isn't a year old yet, and we've already got enough volume
and similar subject matter for our first pseudo-digest!  (hopefully this isn't
just a noise spike in our submission pattern)  Please let me know
what you think (by sending mail to info-applebus-request@c.cs.cmu.edu)
At some point in the future I may make the effort to actually acquire
digestification software and to have digest (moderated) and non-digest
(mail reflector) distribution.

Thanks again, and keep those submissions coming in.

					- Ralph (info-applebus-request@c.cs.cmu.edu)

                ---------------

   1) 14-Feb Pete von Glahn       Re: appletalk length limits
   2) 17-Feb Jed Schwartz         Re: AppleTalk Cable Length Limits
   3) 19-Feb hplabs!seismo!mcvax! Re: appletalk length limits

Message 1 -- ************************
To: Bruce Jones <bjones%dartmouth.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA>
cc: RALPHW@c.cs.cmu.EDU
Subject: Re: appletalk length limits
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 86 13:31:36 -0500
From: Pete von Glahn <vonglahn@huey.udel.EDU>

I've seen several messages citing good results with up to 50 feet of cable
between the transformer and the Mac, generally using Radio Shack joystick
extension cords.  I've been running a Mac in my office for several weeks now
connected to a hall-mounted appletalk transformer by about 25 feet of two-pair
cable.  No troubles to report.  (I took care to assign the 2 transmit lines
to one pair and the two receive lines to the other pair. Since the
Mac serial port uses balanced signalling, the link between it and
the transformer should be fairly robust -- a 50 foot cable length
seems quite reasonable.)

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Mon 17 Feb 86 17:56:58-EST
From: Jed Schwartz <JED@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Re: AppleTalk Cable Length Limits
To: ralphw@C.CS.CMU.EDU

While the recent message from Bruce Jones states that the cable length between
the appletalk transformer and the mac cannot exceed the length Apple uses,
which is 1.5 feet, the following message posted in November by Roy Standing
states that 50 feet has proved to work.  I am about to put in an Appletalk net,
and would benefit greatly by a clarification of these contradictory reports.
Perhaps Roy could report on his experiences:

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 85 20:23:47 est
From: roy@nlm-vax (Roy Standing)
Subject: AppleTalk Cable and PC MacBridge

Jerry Pierce recently described his method for running an AppleTalk cable.
Instead of Apple's recommended:		 He proposed:

 -----     ----------     -----          -----#----------#-----
      |   |          |   |                    |          |
      |   |          |   |                    |          |
       -#-            -#-                     |          |
        |              |                      |          |
       Mac            Mac                    Mac        Mac

He noted that the advantage of his method was minimizing the length of the
AppleTalk cable.  This is desirable since there is the 100 meter maximum
length restriction.  He leaves the transformer in the ceiling and uses
Radio Shack joystick extension cables (10-15 foot) to run down the walls to
the Macs.

Having had my own difficulties with getting AppleTalk to work when the
cable length starts getting anywhere near the limit, I've decided to try
this method.  My first question was how long the transformer <--> Mac runs
could be; I need at least 30 feet.  To test this I had our technician make
up four 50 foot cables.  Using the simplest LAN, 1 Mac and 1 LaserWriter,
with a ten foot long LAN, I put varying lengths of cable between the
transformers and the Mac and LW.  50 feet of cable was okay, 100 feet or
more was not.  I then used a different configuration:  1 Mac, 1 IBM PC/XT
with PC MacBridge, and 1 LaserWriter, with a 150-200 foot long LAN.  I put
fifty foot cables between each transformer and device.  The system worked
fine.

I have not tried any other configurations yet.  I am about to install a 600
foot LAN with 12 drops where each drop will use a fifty foot extension
cable off the transformer.  I hope it works!  I'll report on the results.

  --Jed Schwartz   jed@columbia-20.edu   (212)280-8192
-------

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 15:52:01 -0100
From: hplabs!seismo!mcvax!daimi!jnp@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (J|rgen N|rgaard)
To: ucbvax!info-applebus
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.appletalk

Our experience is that a connection of length 5 meters works and one
of length 7.5 meters don't ( or is highly unstable ~ very slow ).
The distance is measured from the connector on the cable connected to'
the white box.

				Regards
				J|rgen N|rgaard
                                e-mail: ....{seismo!}mcvax!diku!daimi!jnp

-------