From: Jim Guyton <guyton@rand-unix.ARPA>
To: croft@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject: rats
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 86 22:55:28 PST

Hi there,

I know your job is Arpanet-wide consultant for Apple and Kinetics,
so let me bug you with a quick question!  (ah, :-) ...)

I just (today) recv'd new proms for my Kinetics box, and that's
all well and fine (at least I think so ...), my problem is
with the MacIP "disk".  I downloaded the applications from usenet
and they "seem" to be ok, but try as I might, I keep getting the
big bomb from both telnet and tftp.  Both complain that they
can't do the initial MPPOpen ... [i.e. the line:

        if MPPOpen <> noErr then
                Fatal(StrCvt('Can''t open Mac Protocol Package'),false);
   ]

I've (quickly) scanned the inside mac page where it talks about this,
and it looks like it should "magically" work if the disk has appletalk
loaded into it ... we'll I've got an HFS-20 w/laserwriter stuff on it
and it fails there .. and I've just created a floppy and did the laser
install on it and the thing still fails.

I know your name isn't Tim [Maroney | McCreery] but have you any
initial "oh, you idiot, just [xxx]" comments?

-- Jim

p.s. rtfm is a legit [xxx] ...

p.p.s. I'm not really interested in telnet or tftp, I'm trying to get
them working before tackling efs, which is my real goal.  Saw your
msg on usenet, I'm interested in fixing up efs ... if I ever get time
to learn enough about the mac envrionment to do it!

------- Message 2

Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85 13:47:33 pst
From: Bill Croft <croft>
Subject: "Can't open Mac Protocol Package" alert
To: tim@cmu-cs-k
Cc: croft

Tim,

I've tried a couple things, but I keep getting this message when
I run the telnet (binary) that just came over usenet.
I've used the Installer (3/22/85, MPP 3.08B, ATP 3.0B) on the
System file on this disk, so it should have the latest
drivers available to load.

Also I tried monkeying around with the Select Printer DA, but
telnet still refuses to work regardless of whether AppleTalk is
shown as connected or disconnected.

Cust seems to work OK, TFTP gets the same alert as Telnet.

You might post a note to the net explaining which MPP package
MacIP wants to work with.  Perhaps I still have the wrong version here.
I'm sure some potential users of MacIP don't even know what MPP
is or how to put it on their System file, so you might explain
this too.  (Apple might not object to someone posting an Install.hqx
file).

------- Message 3

Date: 3 Dec 1985 03:12:11-EST
From: Tim.Maroney@K.CS.CMU.EDU
To: croft@safe
Subject: Can't open MPP

The latest Software Supplement has a fairly stupid way of doing this.  Not only
do you have to run the installer, there's this ATPL resource on MacStuff 4 that
has to be put into the system file or the application.  Something in the
documentation seemed to imply that I would have to explicitly license
Appletalk if I put the ATPL resource into the applicattion, so I decided that
it would have to be spliced into the system file by the person using TFTP and
TELNET.  I should post to USENET and INFO-APPLEBUS clearing this up.  Let me
know if you have any other problems.

Tim

------- End of Forwarded Messages

brad@GCC-MILO.UUCP (Brad Parker) (03/07/86)

Just got our Kinetics box, and can't get MacIP to work (sound familiar?)

I'm sure the net addressing is working, as many packets fly by and I
was able to do a telnet "open" from the vax to the MacIP program (again
many packets but no characters appeared).

Any way, I do the "open" in MacIP, a packet goes out, one comes back and
MacIP says "close: foriegn reset".

I'm running Mt. Xinu BSD4.2 on an 11/750.

tftp doesn't even find the host. I made sure the tftd and telnetd where
running.

Any ideas? I understand MacIP is pretty minimalisitic, could my vax telnetd
be too restrictive?

-brad
Brad Parker
harvard!gcc-milo!brad
--

J Bradford Parker
General Computer (HyperDrive Beach)

"She said, 'Just drive.'" -heard on the radio.