Date: Fri 13 Jun 86 14:07:59-EDT
From: "Ralph W. Hyre, Jr." <Ralph.Hyre@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: [george@rebel.UUCP: Re: 68008]
To: ralpHW@C.CS.CMU.EDU
Work-phone: (412) CMU-BUGS

Article 1350 (11 more) in net.micro.68k:
From: george@rebel
Subject: Re: 68008
Date: Wed, 11-Jun-86 14:29:33 EDT

In article <3615@nsc.UUCP> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>In an alternate life, I have need for a 68008 board with a monitor and rs232
>connection.  Motorola doesn't appear to make such a beast.  Does anyone out
>there tell me if such exists and where to look?

I have a Hayes Transet 1000 at home.  It is a printer buffer, printer
to 2 computer interface, 2 computer to printer interface, serial to
parallel converter, computer to 2 modems, 2 computers to 1 modem,
unattended mail collector, <etc> thingy.

It is a 68008, may be user configured with Hayes AT commands or loaded
*directly* with 68000 code, contains either 128kb or 512kb RAM, 3
serial ports, 1 parallel port, clock.  List price for the 128kb version
is $400 but may be had discounted for well under $300.  It physically
looks just like the Hayes 2400 Smartmodem (case and external power
supply), but has a different array of LEDs with 4 buttons in front and
1 male 9-pin, 1 female 9-pin, and 1 15-pin connector in the rear.
--
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!akgua!rebel!george
        ...{hplabs,seismo}!gatech!rebel!george

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 16:51:36 est
From: gatech!rebel!george@seismo.CSS.GOV (George M. Sipe)
To: ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP!Ralph.Hyre@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Hayes Transet 1000

I don't know if the 128k version can be user upgraded.  I have not taken
mine apart yet.  If it can, you may have to replace the external wall
mounted transformer with a larger one.  Sorry, I just don't know.

You might call Hayes customer support (sorry again, I don't have the
number but it is included in many of their ads or in the Norcross, GA
404 area code phone book).  They answered my original questions about
the thing before I bought it.

As to the parallel port - it is one direction only...  intended for
Centronics interface printers.

One interesting thing I just discovered from the manual is that one
of the serial ports supports differential (aka RS-422) signals as well
as RS-232.

Hope this helps.  Regards.

Message 3 -- ************************
Date: Fri 13 Jun 86 12:51:40-EDT
From: "Ralph W. Hyre, Jr." <Ralph.Hyre@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Hayes Transet 1000
To: gatech!rebel!george@SEISMO.CSS.GOV

RS-422 does sound interesting.  If Hayes uses the Zilog 8530 SCC, then it
might be possible to run AppleTalk over the thing. (since they're using a
68000 public-domain AppleTalk code should be easy to come by.)
One could use a Transet box to add a 'networked' modem and printer to a Mac
network.  Pretty neat, if its possible.

					- Ralph
-------
-------