[mod.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk over PC Token Ring?

Ralph.Hyre@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (10/13/86)

Posted-Date: Fri, 10 Oct 86 13:07:50 edt
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 86 13:07:50 edt
From: decvax!wanginst!infinet!rhorn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Horn)
To: IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU!Ralph.Hyre
Subject: Re: Query: AppleTalk over PC Token Ring?

In article <8610090912.AA06904@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:
>How much hardware would I need?  Seems like it should be easier than
>connecting a Mac to an ethernet, would it be possible to build a converter
>box for $100/node, or is the access method more complicated.

The protocol is mostly embedded in software, so access method is not
too bad.  BUT, the latest price I have from TI for their chip-set is
$200+ in large volumes.  This places a lower bound on a finished board
of about $300 (even using free labor).  If you are interested ask TI
about their TMS380 chips.  Their documentation covers the protocols,
access methods, and hardware requirements.

--
				Rob  Horn
	UUCP:	...{decvax, seismo!harvard}!wanginst!infinet!rhorn