From: honey@citi.umich.edu
To: dk1z#@andrew.cmu.edu info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu
Date: 29 Jan 1987 17:40 EST
Subject: MacNFS

MacNFS, which was on display in the Kinetics booth at UNIFORUM
last week, was a "work in progress" demonstration by the Center
for Information Technology Integration (CITI) at the University
of Michigan.

What we showed was preliminary:  a mount application, requiring
the use of DAs to access remote files.  We're further along here
in the lab, but aren't ready to demonstrate the latest work.

MacNFS is built on CITI's rewrite of the CMU MacIP (in MPW C).
While the version we showed in DC rests on application IP, IP is
driver based at CITI.

The NFS layer is built from code, not from spec, so it will
never be public domain.  There is hope that CITI will have
more flexibility in publishing the TCP/UDP/IP driver code.

MacNFS is one of several Macintosh development projects at CITI;
these activities are partially supported by Apple Computer.

Peter Honeyman
CITI