[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] UUCP over a TAC?

bierma@NPRDC.ARPA (Larry Bierma) (11/06/85)

Greetings,

Is it possible to run uucp through a MILNET TAC?  We are about to place
a PC-AT running XENIX in Washington DC and wan't it to be able to
routinely transfer mail and files to and from our VAX (4.2BSD) here in
San Diego.  We are a MILNET host.  I hate the thought of long distance
phone calls 3-4 times a day.  If anyone has done it would you please
send me the appropriate incantation from your L.sys file (with the
names/numbers changed to protect the innocent of course).

--Larry		ARPA: bierma@nprdc.arpa
		UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!nprdc!bierma
		PSTN: (619) 225-2161

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (11/06/85)

Running KERMIT and UUCP through the TACS is a miserable idea that
DCA wishes nobody had thought of.  UUCP's link protocol is strange
enough that I don't even know if it's possible to make it work.
TACs are not and can not be made to work in transparent mode.
In addition, they operate with a TCP window of 64 bytes which
would, combined with the general low bandwidth of the MILNET these
days, make your effective rate very, very, slow.

As Col. Maybaum once said, "These guys are ruining my network a character
at a time."

-Ron

bierma@NPRDC.ARPA (Larry Bierma) (11/07/85)

It looks like setting up a link with a uucp site in the DC area is the
best solution (Rick@seismo has already generously offered his site).
Thank you all for you responses.

Ironically enough I'm putting the system in DC to eliminate some of
that "charater at a time" traffic.  The people there now currently
use a TAC to access the VAX(s) here.  But, the eliminated "character"
traffic is now replace by the need for "bulk data" traffic.  Which
it appears can't be done directly.

Is anybody working on a general solution to this problem?  I hope so,
since it's going to get worse.  For the Navy, OPNAVINST 2070.4 requires
use of the DDN as the primary data communications medium.  It seems
silly to permanantly attach a PC to an IMP just for mail and an
occaisonal file transfer.

Maybe something like a dialin UDP port.

--Larry		ARPA: bierma@nprdc.arpa
		UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!nprdc!bierma
		PSTN: (619) 225-2161

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (11/08/85)

You can run TCP/IP over dial up lines, Dave Mills is perhaps the pioneer
in hooking up micros in this fashion.  However, there is no TCP/IP for
the PC yet outside of the MIT code which is pretty bad.  Perhaps Excelan
or CMC will make one of their little protocol cards that will fit into
a PC slot someday.

-Ron

GJC@MIT-MC.ARPA ("George J. Carrette") (11/08/85)

Excelan has made one of their protocol boards to fit in the PC slot,
it is on their latest price list. BTW, has anyone used one of these
CMC or Excelan boards with its optional serial port?

SCARTER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Stephen Carter) (11/09/85)

>From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL.ARPA>
>To: Larry Bierma <bierma@nprdc.arpa>
>cc: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa
>Subject: Re: Re: UUCP over a TAC?
>
> Perhaps Excelan or CMC will make one of their little protocol cards
>that will fit into a PC slot someday.

Excelan told me that something should be coming in about three months...
-------

SCARTER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Stephen Carter) (11/09/85)

>Excelan has made one of their protocol boards to fit in the PC slot,
>it is on their latest price list.

ouch, maybe I was caught in a time warp...
-------