[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] Redirect wars and Buterfly gateways

tom@LOGICON.ARPA.UUCP (05/16/86)

This month's issue (May) of "Mini-Micro Systems" has a blurb in the
"Breakpoints" section (page 20) about a system called "Monarch", from
BBN Laboratories which will have 8,192 parallel processors of an
undisclosed type.  In the paragraph they mention that, for those who
can't wait for Monarch, BBN is shipping something called the "Butterfly"
system consisting of 256 Motorola MC68020 processors working in
parallel.  Is this any relation to the much-alluded-to "Butterfly
gateway" which is supposed to save us from the ravages of brain-dead
gateways?

Speaking of brain-dead gateways, we have had some more instances of the
ICMP "redirect wars".  This morning SRI-MILNET-GW redirected us to
BBN-MILNET-GW, who redirected us back to SRI-MILNET-GW. This happened
11 times in 29 seconds while trying to establish a connection.
A reponse came in 23 seconds, but after we had timed out.

Obviously this is sub-optimal...

Tom Perrine & Jeff Makey

nolan@MIMSY.UMD.EDU.UUCP (05/16/86)

To set the record straight on Butterflies:

The Butterfly processor from BBN has nothing to do with gateways. It
is a general purpose parallel processor, configurable with boards
to have 16 to 256 processors. It is hosted by a Sun or Vaxen via either
an Ethernet or an RS232 TIP connection. Present versions have only MC68000
chips; the MC68020 version is coming shortly. The Butterfly is programmed
in C; the operating system is known as Chrysalis.

nolan@maryland

leiner@RIACS.ARPA.UUCP (05/17/86)

A little history.

The butterfly processor (named because of the interconnection strategy
between the multiple processors which is similar to the butterfly of
the FFT) was first developed as a voice multiplexer/packetizer for the
Wideband Satellite Network project and was called the voice funnel.

It was then decided that it would be a good processor for the next
generation of gateway and high speed packet switch for the Wideband
network.

When the strategic computing program started, it was then considered
and pursued as a possible architecture for parallel processing in
general (as opposed to dedicated use such as a packet switch).

The monarch is the next generation of butterfly machine, using more
extensive VLSI particularly in the interconnection switching.

All of this was done by BBN under the sponsorship of DARPA.

Hope this helps.

Barry

----------

hinden@BBNCCV.ARPA.UUCP (05/17/86)

The Butterfly Gateway is real and is very related to the Butterfly
Multiprocessor.  As can be guessed from its name, it runs on the
Butterfly Multiprocessor hardware.  It was developed by BBN for DARPA
and there are currently eleven installed.  It is a full function
routing Internet gateway with support for 1000 networks.  If you
would like more information, let me know and I would be happy to
supply it.

Regards,
Bob

CERF@USC-ISI.ARPA.UUCP (05/17/86)

butterfly multiprocessor and butterfly gateway use the same hardware -
based on multiple MC68K machines. Monarch is new technology - well over
12 months away, I would guess.

Vint

CERF@USC-ISI.ARPA (05/18/86)

John,

you leave the impression that the Butterfly Gateway has nothing to
do with butterfly multiprocessor! The multiprocessor is indeed a general
purpose machine. It has been used by BBN to build a more powerful
internet gateway. Clearly, it can be used for other things. Lincoln Labs
did a very fast FFT implementation using a 16 processor version, I believe.

Vint

gds@SRI-SPAM.ARPA.UUCP (05/20/86)

> From: tom@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey , Tom Perrine)

> Speaking of brain-dead gateways, we have had some more instances of the
> ICMP "redirect wars".  This morning SRI-MILNET-GW redirected us to
> BBN-MILNET-GW, who redirected us back to SRI-MILNET-GW. This happened
> 11 times in 29 seconds while trying to establish a connection.
> A reponse came in 23 seconds, but after we had timed out.

This happens to me also.  Here's a sample netstat -r from sri-spam.arpa
(10.2.0.107/192.5.38.3).  It seems that our default gateway does not
always know how to get cross-net ...

Routing tables
Destination     Gateway         Flags    Refcnt        Use SWS pm Interface
default         10.1.0.107      UG            0         25  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     sri-milnet-gw.a UG            0       1030  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     isi-gateway.arp UG            0       1027  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     stanford-gatewa UG            0       6071  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     hazeltine-gw.ar UG            0          3  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     sac-milnet-gw.a UG            0          3  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     sri-gw.arpa     UG            0          4  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     lbl-milnet-gw.a UG            0          2  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     bbn-milnet-gw.a UG            0          4  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     bbnnet2-arpanet UG            0          4  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     bbn-van-gw.arpa UG            0          2  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     crc-gw.arpa     UG            0          1  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     bbn-cronus-gw.a UG            0          2  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     isi-milnet-gw.a UG            0          1  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     sri-csl-gw.arpa UG            0          2  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     bbn-net-gateway UG            0          2  75  0 imp0
su-net-temp     dcec-milnet-gw. UG            0          1  75  0 imp0

Note the highest use count for the su-net-temp net is for
stanford-gateway, which is as it should be.  Some of the other gateways
mentioned are a little skeptical -- why would multiple gateways at BBN
be involved in what should be a decision strictly made in California?

One question is how your host handles redirects.  In 4.2, if there are
multiple gateways to the same destination, it attempts to share the load
between the two, by taking the lowest use count.  I have discovered
situations in which this may not be ideal.  4.3 attempts to be more
flexible by taking the route from the last redirect, and notifying any
connections of the route change (this is done in 4.2 BBN also).  There
is a short time in between the issuance of the redirect and the route
change for the connection in which the old route might be used, which
could cause a flurry of redirects.  I'd like to know how yours (and
others) IP routing implementations handle these sort of situations.
(I'd especially like to hear from the "hosts should be dumb, gateways
should be smart" folks.)

Back to the original topic, though, I have noticed similar behavior
going between sri-milnet-gw.arpa and bbn-milnet-gw.arpa for a lot of
connections I make (aside from the above, this happens for the rutgers
and mit-temp networks).

--gregbo