[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] Ohosts.txt file

HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA.UUCP (06/28/86)

This message is forwarded as a reminder to all.
                ---------------

Date: Wed 18 Jun 86 16:44:39-PDT
From: HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA
Subject: Ohosts.txt file
Sender: SUE@SRI-NIC.ARPA
To: Host-table-distribution: ;
cc: HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA

Dear network host table user:

As of 1 July 1986, the DDN Network Information Center will no longer
provide the OLD-STYLE host table, NETINFO:OHOSTS.TXT, and its
accompanying binary file, NETINFO:OHOSTS3.BIN.  These are the files
that contain old non-domain style host names.  According to DDN
Management Bulletin 22, dated 16 March 1984, all hosts on ARPANET and
MILNET were to have acquired new domain-style names by 21 March 1984
by adding ".ARPA" to the end of their names.  To aid in the
transition, the NIC has been providing both old and new style tables
for over two years.  After having surveryed all network sites several
times, we have determined that very few hosts will be affected by the
removal of these old-style tables.

PLEASE NOTE: The NIC will continue to provide the official DoD host
table NETINFO:HOSTS.TXT, and its accompanying binary file,
NETINFO:HOSTS3.BIN.  The official host table will be maintained
indefinitely until a full transition to the domain system by all DDN
subscribers is completed.

Please address any questions or comments to HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA.

				Sue Romano
				DDN Network Information Center
-------
-------

rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (06/29/86)

I trust you are also going to remove the non-domained aliases
from hosts.txt also.

I removed the alias "seismo" about a month ago. It was fascinating
seeing how many things broke on other sites.

The non-domained aliases should clearly be taken out of hosts.txt.
(Otherwise pretending we are running with domains is a joke.)

---rick