[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] NIC host table changes - how to survive?

eichelbe@NADC (07/02/86)

	In regard to the changes in the host table to fully support domains:

Yes, this is "breaking" the mail system at some sites.  Due to legal problems
which I won't discuss here, I am stuck with an smtp mail system on a 4.1 BSD
UNIX system for a VAX 11/780.  Going to 4.2 BSD or 4.3 BSD (which I assume
will support the domain stuff) is not presently and may never be an option
for my site.

Since I do have source code and I am a C programmer, fixes to the source
are possible.  Does anyone have an idea of the magnitude of the changes
that are required?  (That was not a rhetorical question!)  I'd be interested
in some informal help.  The code looks like it was originally produced by
BB&N since the code has bug fixes in it which are labeled as from BB&N.
When I called BB&N they told me that they were not supporting the code.

Although I can make the mail headers for my /usr/spool/netmail/arpa*
files (mail to be sent) have the complete system name (e.g.,
aim.rutgers.edu) the smtp mailer says that no such site exists.  This
is evidenced by the command "host" which is supossed to return
information from the host table existing on MY system when a site name
is provided.  If I type:

host nadc

I get back:

nadc.arpa nadc:26.0.0.24 hostcap=1 tcp/ftp tcp/smtp tcp/telnet

which is fine.  But it has always been true for my "host" command that
typing:

host nadc.arpa

returned:

host: bad host: network not found

and typing:

host ru-aim

returns:

aim.rutgers.edu ru-aim ru-aim.arpa:128.6.4.15 hostcap=1 tcp/finger tcp/ftp tcp/smtp tcp/telnet

but typing:

host aim.rutgers.edu

returns:

host: bad host: too many address components
---
So it becomes obvious that low-level routines in the mailer do not under-
stand domain-type information.  Are code changes required?  Maybe there is
something I should be placing in my NETWORKS file to tell the mailer about
.arpa and .edu?  The mailer has obviously always assumed .arpa.  Any help
or ideas on what I can do to join everyone else here in 1986 would be
appreciated.  Thank you.

		Jon Eichelberger
		eichelbe@NADC.ARPA

wales@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) (07/02/86)

In article <8607020415.AA11796@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> eichelbe@NADC.ARPA
writes:

> In regard to the changes in the host table to fully support domains:
>
> Yes, this is "breaking" the mail system at some sites. . . .  I am
> stuck with an SMTP mail system on a 4.1 BSD UNIX system for a VAX
> 11/780. . .  .  Since I do have source code and I am a C programmer,
> fixes to the source are possible. . . .  The code looks like it was
> originally produced by BBN. . . .

I assume you were one of those sites whose legal staff refused to go
along with some of the disclaimer language in Berkeley's 4.2/4.3
license agreements.  I remember that unfortunate problem.

In any case . . . we (at UCLA) ran the BBN network code on a 4.1BSD
system for some time here, and I modified it to accept domain naming.
(We have since scrapped the BBN code in favor of a combination of 4.2BSD
network code and home-grown mail software.)  I don't know where our old
modified sources are any more, so I can't simply send them to you, but
I think I remember bits and pieces of what I had to do to get the stuff
to work.

> Although I can make the mail headers for my /usr/spool/netmail/arpa*
> files (mail to be sent) have the complete system name (e.g.,
> aim.rutgers.edu), the smtp mailer says that no such site exists.  This
> is evidenced by the command "host". . . .  It has always been true for
> my "host" command that typing:
>
> 			host nadc.arpa
>
> returned:
>
> 		host: bad host: network not found
>
> and . . . typing:
>
> 		    host aim.rutgers.edu
>
> returns:
>
> 	    host: bad host: too many address components
>
> So it becomes obvious that low-level routines in the mailer do not
> understand domain-type information.  Are code changes required?
> Maybe there is something I should be placing in my NETWORKS file to
> tell the mailer about .arpa and .edu?  The mailer has obviously
> always assumed .arpa.
>
> 		Jon Eichelberger
> 		eichelbe@NADC.ARPA

In our case (and presumably in yours as well), the problem turned out to
be that the BBN host-name routines interpreted something like XXX.YYY as
meaning "host XXX, using an address on network YYY".  In today's world
of domain naming, this is completely bogus.  Some early -- or not-so-
early -- domain-naming implementations still incorporated this idea,
though -- as evidenced by names of the form *.UUCP, *.CSNET, *.BITNET,
etc.  Even today, a handful of mail systems still in use continue to
insist (incorrectly) that ".ARPA" may freely be added to -- or removed
from -- any Internet host name at will.

I no longer have our old sources readily available, as I said, but my
recollection is that I fixed this problem by redefining the "host.net"
notation in the BBN library routines to use a dollar sign instead of a
period (i.e., "host$net").  I may also have had to fiddle with some
other parts of the code in order to allow periods to be part of a host
name.  This is about as specific as I can remember.  I hope it helps.

I would *NOT* recommend trying to get around your problem by adding
extra entries to your network list.  Even if such an approach would work
(and, believe me, it wouldn't), domain naming has nothing whatever to do
with physical networks; the existence of a name like "PODUNK.EDU" does
*NOT* mean that there is a network somewhere called "EDU".

--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA