[net.sf-lovers] what is The Stump really?

swb@lasspvax.UUCP (Scott Brim) (09/15/85)

In "Dream Dancer" by Janet Morris, the first space platform
built above the Earth (about a thousand years before the events in the
book) is called "The Stump."  The origin of the name is "lost in
antiquity".  This smacks of an idea that has a basis in reality.  Is
this a nickname for the current space station project?  Did it perhaps
come from another book?
.....Scott Brim

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (09/17/85)

In article <520@lasspvax.UUCP> swb@lasspvax.UUCP (Scott Brim) writes:
>In "Dream Dancer" by Janet Morris, the first space platform
>built above the Earth (about a thousand years before the events in the
>book) is called "The Stump."  The origin of the name is "lost in
>antiquity".  This smacks of an idea that has a basis in reality.  Is
>this a nickname for the current space station project?  Did it perhaps
>come from another book?
>.....Scott Brim

Where I come from (he says, pulling a dusty and battered straw cowboy
hat from under piles of listings)  somebody who was in a tight stop
was said to be "Up a stump."

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/20/85)

>In "Dream Dancer" by Janet Morris, the first space platform
>built above the Earth (about a thousand years before the events in the
>book) is called "The Stump."  The origin of the name is "lost in
>antiquity"...

Was this space platform used for ship docking, etc?  Did the ships "back"
up to it?  Do you know a cowboy?  Ask him if his "filly" is "stump broke."

(And they said to me "You've lost your mind!"
   and I said "No I haven't, I just can't
       remember where I left it...")

					B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)
						 B~)