[net.sf-lovers] SF Music

Seiler%MIT-XX@sri-unix.UUCP (06/16/83)

From:  Larry Seiler <Seiler@MIT-XX>

    In 1968, Jefferson Airplane recorded "Crown of Creation", which is a
direct quote from REBIRTH by John Wyndham.  I wonder if they had permission?
Probably not, since they don't list the credit.
-------

butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/24/85)

From: butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Those who can't do, emulate)

> ... The background music of most of The
> Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio programs is that from the
> Oxygene album.

Actually, it's "Journey of the Sorceror" From the Eagles' One of These Nights
album.

By the way, another heavily sf group I haven't heard mentioned is the group
Klaatu ... an obscure Canadian band which rocketed to sudden and brief
fame in the late seventies, after their first album, Klaatu, had sat on
shelves gathering dust for a year, when someone started a rumor that they
were the Beatles, secretly reunioned ... and which rocketed back to
obscurity when the rumor was discredited.  Actually, it was a really good
album.  Their second, Hope, was also reasonably good.  The third (and
as far as I know, the last) didn't quite make it, although it did have a
video for a while ...

One of their songs (Calling Occupants of Interstellar Craft, from the Klaatu
album) was later visciously mangled by Helen Reddy.  I think someone else
re-did it, too.

Most of the stuff on the first two albums which wasn't distinctly sf was
distinctly fantasy; with a few mundane items thrown in.

	/dave

maxwell%speedy.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (09/13/85)

From: maxwell%speedy.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Back in  V 10 #277 (July), druxo!knf@topaz.arpa mentions a song "Children of
the Sun",  which  I  believe  is actually a reference to the song "After the
Gold  Rush", on an album by a group called (I think) Gold Rush. This song is
particularly  memorable  to  me,  is the first cut on the album, and is sung
[excellently] acappella.  It [at least the last part?] goes something like:

I was lying in a burned out basement
with the full moon in my eye.
I was hoping for a replacement,
when the sun burst through the sky.

There was a band playing, in my head,
and I felt like getting high,
thinking about what a friend had said,
I was hoping it was a lie.

"Well, I dreamed I saw the silver spaceship flying,
in the yellow haze of the sun.
There were people crying, and banners flying,
all around the chosen one.

All in a dream, all in a dream,
the loading had begun.
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed
to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed
to a new home in the sun."

The song  is  very  haunting,  both  in  its  content and its execution. The
remainder of the album struck me as being mildly religious....

-+- Sid Maxwell, DEC @ Spit Brook Rd, Nashua NH

emery@gypsy.UUCP (09/16/85)

It just happens that a song with the same name, music and lyrics is
the title track of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush". (Neil wrote it...)

However, I much prefer the a cappella version.  I remember when it came out,
it almost became a hit.

				Dave Emery
				Siemens Research
		    ..princeton!siemens!emery

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (09/17/85)

> From: maxwell%speedy.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
>

> Back in  V 10 #277 (July), druxo!knf@topaz.arpa mentions a song "Children of
> the Sun",  which  I  believe  is actually a reference to the song "After the
> Gold  Rush", on an album by a group called (I think) Gold Rush. This song is
> particularly  memorable  to  me,  is the first cut on the album, and is sung
> [excellently] acappella.  It [at least the last part?] goes something like:
>
> I was lying in a burned out basement
> with the full moon in my eye.
	.
	.
	.
> Flying Mother Nature's silver seed
> to a new home in the sun."
>
> The song  is  very  haunting,  both  in  its  content and its execution. The
> remainder of the album struck me as being mildly religious....

Yes, the album is After the Gold Rush, the artist? Neil Young !  This shall
go on record as the first time I have ever heard/seen anyone call Neil Young's
singing 'excellent'.  As for mildly religious....:-)

Jim

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (09/21/85)

In article <1960@hcrvax.UUCP> jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:
>> From: maxwell%speedy.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
>>
>> Back in  V 10 #277 (July), druxo!knf@topaz.arpa mentions a song "Children of
>> the Sun",  which  I  believe  is actually a reference to the song "After the
>> Gold  Rush", on an album by a group called (I think) Gold Rush. This song is
>> particularly  memorable  to  me,  is the first cut on the album, and is sung
>> [excellently] acappella.

>Yes, the album is After the Gold Rush, the artist? Neil Young !  This shall
>go on record as the first time I have ever heard/seen anyone call Neil Young's
>singing 'excellent'.
>
>Jim

For the sake of clarity, I'll just mention that two versions of this song
were released back in the '70s.  Neil Young wrote the song, (I think) and
released a version which was backed with piano and trumpet.  A bit later,
a group whose name I don't recall had a mild hit with the a capella
version mentioned in the original posting.  Of course, "Children of the
Sun" was a different beast altogether, being neither well sung nor
memorable.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett