[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] TELNET 3270 for PC/IP

ospwd@emory.CSNET (Peter Day {EUCC}) (10/21/86)

Does anyone know of an implementation of TCP/IP for the IBM-PC that
has a TELNET with 3270 emulation? I am aware that the University
of Maryland intends to add such a facility to the MIT PC/IP,
but I am looking for something that would be available in the next
(say) 4 months.

Please reply directly to me.

Thanks,
Peter W. Day

CSNET:	ospwd@emory
ARPA:	ospwd%emory.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, gatech }!emoryu1!ospwd
BITNET:	ospwd@emoryu1
USPS: 	Computing Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322
PHONE:  404/727-7678

ospwd@EMORY.ARPA (Peter Day {EUCC}) (11/18/86)

The following is a summary of responses to my request for
TELNET 3270 for PC/IP. Essentially, it appears that this will be
available from two universities: Cornell (via Maryland
Distribution) and Berkeley. In addition, FTP Software responded
that they expect to have it by March 1987.

The Berkeley program uses the Ungerman Bass TCP-PC product, which
is particularly interesting because it not only has a netbios
interface, but also a Name Service facility.

BERKELEY:

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 86 17:39:15 PDT
From: Greg Small <gts%violet.Berkeley.EDU%ucbvax.berkeley.edu@CSNET-RELAY>

Greg Minshall is porting his Unix tn3270 to the PC.   It is based on
Ungermann-Bass's TCP-PC product that runs on their intelligent Ethernet
controller.  Tn3270 interfaces to the Ungermann-Bass extended Netbios
interface through a temporary socket library, but will be converted
to Ungermann-Bass's socket library for the PC.

The extended Netbios interface allows running telnet, ftp, tn3270 and user
socket programs concurrent with IBM PC Network applications.  The Netbios
supports IBM PC Network applications with standard Netbios calls using
TCP/IP for the transport and routing.  The extensions give TCP, IP and
direct Ethernet access.

For more information on tn3270, mail to minshall@opal.Berkeley.EDU.

Greg Small                                           (415)642-5979
Personal Computer Networking & Communications        gts@opal.Berkeley.EDU
214 Evans Hall CFC                                   ucbvax!jade!opal!gts
University of California, Berkeley, Ca 94720         SPGGTS@UCBCMSA.BITNET

Date: 22 Oct 86 20:30:29 PDT (Wed)
From: minshall%opal.Berkeley.EDU%ucbvax.berkeley.edu@CSNET-RELAY

Peter,

	If you buy the UB TCP/IP board, then you can get tn3270
from us.  This is the same (more or less) program that runs under
4.2/4.3 Unix.  We are currently beta-testing it, and we expect to
give it to users (on campus) next week (or so).

	What you would get (from us) is an executable, plus source.
You would need a PC compiler to compile it; we use the MetaWare
compiler.

Greg Minshall
(415)642-0530

CORNELL:

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 06:41:56 EDT
From: Scott Brim <swb%devvax.tn.cornell.edu@CSNET-RELAY>

We've had it for quite a while (in color, with user-definable
keymappings, all that sort of stuff), but not for all interfaces.
I've forwarded your mail to the keeper of that code.
							Scott

Date: 04 November 86 20:04 EST
From: RHX@CORNELLC

Peter,  Here's a copy...
        (Forward to anyone who might wish to know.)

------------------------------

To:  Peter W. Day
From: Dick Cogger
      At Cornell, we have ported the MIT stuff to Aztec C, ported it
in C to the Macintosh, added Omninet drivers, and added a nice 3270
for talking to Wiscnet.  We also have a compatible serial-port version
which works nicely against the 7171 running a modified H19 definition.
on the PC, there is key and color mapping, user selectable.  The Mac
has a rudimentary macro facility which will be added to the PC.  For
both, 3270 has a built-in file transfer which uses a CMS module and
operates via the TCP connection which is up for Telnet.  Very simple
from the user perspective, but not super-high performance.

     We plan to submit all of it to the Maryland distribution as soon
as we have the source cleaned up and organized-- current target for
the PC stuff is Thanksgiving, more or less.  We'll be adding drivers
for Appletalk and IBM token-ring, eventually.
                                               -Dick

FTP SOFTWARE:

From jbvb%borax.lcs.mit.edu@CSNET-RELAY Thu Oct 23 15:31:21 1986
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 20:01:25 edt
From: "James B. VanBokkelen" <jbvb%borax.lcs.mit.edu@CSNET-RELAY>

FTP Software has a contractural committment to include a tn3270 in its
PC/TCP package (major extensions to PC/IP by John Romkey, who has left
MIT) by March, 1987.  We hope to beat this deadline by a good deal.

jbvb@ai.ai.mit.edu
James B. VanBokkelen
FTP Software, Inc.
(617) 864-1711

CMU: Did not reply, although John Romkey <romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu>
listed in his note to pcip-request dated 21 Sep 86 a CMU version
"available to anyone, token ring driver and 3270 emulator available
to IBM ACIS universities."

Rob Warnock called to point out that the key to porting 4.3bsd tn3270
to a system that has telnet (with source) was to change the telnet
on the target system in the same manner as telnet was changed under
4.3bsd for tn3270.

ddp#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins) (11/20/86)

Sorry for not replying, but I didn't want to get you excited for nothing.
Here's the good news.  Yes, we do have a working version of tn3270 for PC/IP.
It emulates a 3278 on a mono card, and it has full color support and emulates
a 3279 on a color card.  It also has a key redefinition facility.  We are
using it here at CMU and it works great.   Now here's the bad news.
Unfortunately, the 3270 emulator was done by someone in IBM and is owned by
IBM/ACIS.  They won't let me distribute it.  I also have a driver for the IBM
token ring card.  Unfortunately, we did it with IBM funding, so they own the
code and won't let me distribute it.  Both of these were done on top of my
Microsoft C version of PCIP, which fortunately was done without IBM funds and
is freely distributable to anyone who wants it.  IBM is putting all their
eggs in U. of Md. basket and hopes that they will soon be distributing both
as an official IBM/ACIS supported product.  If you (any universities anyway)
would like to get my software NOW, PLEASE bang on your local IBM marketing
people's heads to get them to allow me to distribute it.  Like most
university software, we won't officially support it but I do usually fix the
bugs as soon as I hear about them.

Drew