[net.sf-lovers] Let's try to roll back the SF price increase rip-off!

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (09/15/85)

Am I the only one who has noticed the recent 18.6% price increase in
many (most) of the paperback SF books in the stores?  Seems the
publishers just all of a sudden got (independently, of course) the
idea it was time to raise the price from $2.95 to $3.50

I can't imagine any reason for that but greed. (flames explaining how
all their costs have edged upward for years will be routed to the
bit bucket.) As a collector this bugs me and I feel like sticking
my head out the window and shouting the well known litany (from
Network).

But that would only rile the neighbors, who would call the cops and
I'm sure the cops wouldn't give a damn.

So, a better strategy is to point out the increase to the sales clerks,
suggesting they tell the boss that you have noticed it and will not
pay it.  Better yet tell the boss herself.

Yes, they will look at you as one of the following:
a nut.
something that just crawled out of a crack in the floor.
a comedian.
etc.
But it shouldn't matter.  As long as there are books available at $2.95
we have a chance of nipping this one in the bud.  Not much of a chance,
but a chance.  The new SSR book is $2.95. There are a lot I wont read
for $3.50. Tough.

Time for Stainless Steel readers.
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (09/16/85)

If you're really serious about complaining about rising book prices,
a letter to the publisher is probably more effective than complaining
to the befuddled sales clerk at your local B. Dalton.
rjs

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/19/85)

Of course, there are some of us around that bought books in the 50's or
so that believe that 35 cents is an elegant sufficiency for a paperback
book price...

I seem to find plenty to read at the library, by buying books for a few
cents each at yard sales and book fairs & trading those in at used book
stores to get specific items I want, and by getting stuff from the
paperback-exchange rack here at work. (Every workplace ought to have one
of those latter -- even if your organization's library isn't interested,
or you work at a place with no library, you can start one yourself. Just
bring in a dozen books and stack them somewhere with a sign saying "Take
some -- leave some" or the like. There are actually some fools out there
that *throw away* books after reading them! If it is easy enough, those
people will participate too, and bring in stock for exchange.)

Anyway, if more people were like me, and didn't pay the insane prices
that are asked these days for paperbacks, the price levels would stay
down, and the publishers would be forced to cut costs to keep them
there. Anybody who pays list price for books is part of the problem, not
part of the solution...

Will

horton@fortune.UUCP (Randy Horton) (09/23/85)

In article <1613@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>Of course, there are some of us around that bought books in the 50's or
>so that believe that 35 cents is an elegant sufficiency for a paperback
>book price...
>

>Anyway, if more people were like me, and didn't pay the insane prices
>that are asked these days for paperbacks, the price levels would stay
>down, and the publishers would be forced to cut costs to keep them
>there. Anybody who pays list price for books is part of the problem, not
>part of the solution...
>
>Will

I second this thought.  I almost never purchase books at list price.  I
usually patronize a local chain called Crown Books.  Their motto is *If you
paid full price, you didn't buy it at Crown Books*.  I am not entirely sure
that buying books only at discount prices has any effect on publishers, but
I save money, and I support a business whose pricing policy I agree with.

              |   allegra\   Randy Horton @ Fortune Systems |
              |   cbosgd  \                                 |
              |   dual     >!fortune!ranhome!randy          |
              |   ihnp4   /                                 |
              |   nsc    /   Clever disclaimer goes here    |

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (09/23/85)

Sorry, I can't buy that "anybody who pays list price for books is part
of the problems, not part of the solution."  What about the authors
fair due -- his or her royalty.  Typically, the author of a $3.50
paperback is entitled to 21 cents and the man or woman whose name
appears on the dustjacket of a $20 hardcover should get two bucks.
Fortunately, many countries (including Canada) seem to be slowly
moving towards the European standard of Public Lending Rights, wherein
authors receive a royalty on library copies for each time they're
checked out.  As for paperback exchanges, all I can ask is this:

if you had created the original work (be it a book, record, computer
program, or whatever), would you be happy if after one person paid
for it an unlimited number of people got to use it?  Or would you
be inclined, no matter how good the critical notices your work
got, to consider some of these freeloaders to be parasites?

RJS

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (09/23/85)

[]
Gee I'm glad to see that there are at least a few people on the net
who aren't so yuppily affluent that they can ignore an 18% price
increase in a period of disinflation.  Yes, I think that the most
effective tactic is to
1) not buy at the higher rate and
2) be sure that the retailers notice the fact.
I'm pretty sure that the retailers will keep the publishers informed.
Now, if the publishers don't give a damn, then we
re all in even worse trouble than I think we are...
Used book stores seem to be dying out in this area, but they still
exist and it seems to me that sf is their second biggest commodity,
after romances (of course).  Why "of course," Grantges? Well, if you
don't know by now, Richard, I"m afraid you'll never learn, but, just
as a hint, hard core stuff is mostly illegal 'round here.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg