[mod.protocols.tcp-ip] new 32 bit address layout ?

rjwelsh@CCT.BBN.COM ("Robert J. Welsh") (02/04/87)

Lars Poulson writes:

>A private communication mentioned that

>> The current 32-bit address is divided into 4 fields (N,H,L,I):
>>
>>           |   N    |    H     |    L   |    I   |
>>           |--------|----------|--------|--------|
>>
>> The proposed division (N,H1,H2,H3,F,G,L1,I1,I2) is according to
>> that which is to be proposed by BBN and the DDN PMO in an upcoming
>> RFC expected out in the January timeframe:
>>
>>          |   N   |H1     H2|H3 F|G|L1|I1|   I2  |
>>          |-------|---------|------------|-------|
>>
>> The F field is proposed as a flag to indicate a X.25 Logical Address;
>> the G field is reserved for future use.  With Logical Addressing
>> the H field is proposed to be expanded to 10 bits (H1,H2,H3) and the
>> I field similarily (I1,I2).  With Logical Addressing, there will
>> remain a 16-bit X.25 Logical Address (H,I).  This means there are
>> 4 Internet Addresses which map to the same X.25 Logical Address
>> (those which differ only in the H3,L1, and I1 fields).  For
>> compatibility with existing DDN X.25 the H field must still be
>> greater than 64 for all X.25 Logical Addresses.
 >
>This prompts a few questions:
>
>(>1) Current address formats:
> >   I can see in HOSTS.TXT that currently class A networks based
>    on C/30 PSN's use the above format, mostly with
>    N = network number (1-126)
>    H = port number on PSN
>    L = 0 (can be non-zero with a port expander)
>    I = PSN number in network
>
>    I believe that class B networks based on BBN PSN's use
>    N,H = network number (128.1 - 191.255)
>    L = port number on PSN
>    I = PSN number in network
>
>    I don't know what format is used for class C PSN's.

PSNs  (Packet Switch Nodes - formerly IMP) do not know about IP leader classes.
Only gateways and hosts know about IP.

Class C IP address:

	|110|---------------------|--------|
		21 bit net no.     local host

To use logical addr. with this leader limits  the  addressing  range.   When  a
gateway  translates the IP addr to 1822 or whatever, it must supply the upper 8
bits of the logical name (a constant) and use "local host" as the lower 8  bits
of the name. This leaves you with a address range of 377 (octal) hosts.

>(2) Logical addressing.
>    As I understand it, the above physical addressing scheme is
>    used throughout ARPAnet and MILNET; other networks use
>    "logical addressing". Software generally has to be configured
>    to know which of the two schemes is in use.
>    When a host comes up, the PSN tells it its address if the
>    network is physical, but the host tells the PSN its address
>    if the network is logical.
>
>    Physical and logical addressing cannot be mixed in the same
>    network.

Not true.  Physical and Logical addressing can coexist on the same network.
Furthermore, we can even support physical and logical addressing hosts from
the same IMP.

>(3) IP addresses versus AHIP addresses.
>    Logical addressing is a feature of the 1822 interface protocol
>    (AHIP) and there is a standard translation from IP to AHIP.

Logical Addressing requires the 1822L leader.

>(4) IP addresses versus X.25 addresses
>    The conversion between IP addresses and X.25 addresses is defined
>    in the DDN X.25 spec. so long as the class A "L" field is not used.
>    Use of bits in the IP address to trigger a request for logical
>    addresses is a new feature that may invalidate current port
>    expander implementations.
>
>(5) RFC review.
>    BBN and the DDN PMO are discussing this, but no decision will be
>    made until the RFC has had a chance to elicit comments from the
>    protocol research community ?
>
>Did I get all of that right ?

>Lars Poulsen, ACC Customer Service
<*>