[net.sf-lovers] caught up..

stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (09/23/85)

From: stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (Steve Rabin  )

Re: "Is Leiber a superficial writer?"
For those of you who enjoyed Leiber's Fahfrd & the Grey Mouser,
and would like to try some of his deeper work, or for those of
you who were able to finish Phillip K Dick's Transmigration of
Timothy Archer, or for anyone who lives near San Francisco
and reads, I recommend "Our Lady of Darkness" by Fritz Leiber.

Re: Sabberhagen's Book of Swords
I got the three-in-one book club edition, but after 50 pages I
decided to shear the binding and use it at the commode.

Re: Downbelow Station
I could not finish this one either - I thought the characters
and scenes were very flat.  The political intrigue was slightly
interesting, but not enough to carry the weight of the rest.

Re: "Chuck gives Trumps of Doom two *'s"
I was also disappointed by Trumps of Doom, but liked it a bit more
than you did apparently.  For a long time I have wondered how an
Amberite would go about ordering a pizza & etc.  The walk with
Julia, and hellrides in general were also well done.

<WARNING: SPOILER SPECULATIONS>

I think that the blue cavern in which Merlin is imprisoned is
in fact the gemstone of a ring.  Also Corwin is not dead, but
is masquerading as Bill, who knows far too much.

-steve

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/26/85)

>Re: Sabberhagen's Book of Swords
>I got the three-in-one book club edition, but after 50 pages I
>decided to shear the binding and use it at the commode.

>-steve

It's too bad you didn't read a little farther.  The 51st page
is where it gets really good :-).  Seriously, I found the first
book (of three) a little slow, though interesting.  The second
book really had me hooked, and the third BLEW ME AWAY.  I did wish,
however, that the ending had been less rushed.  I got the feeling
Saberhagen could have written another 50-100 pages, perhaps delving
into more detail about the fate of the main characters.

You don't say why you "put it down".  Was it the plot you didn't like,
or did you find the writing sub-par, or...?

			"Don't touch that man!  You don't
			 know where he's been."

				Scott J. Berry
				ihnp4!hou2g!scott