[net.internat] Bureaucracy - DON'T delete net.internat!

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/22/85)

In net.internat, mikeb@inset.UUCP (Mike Banahan) wrote (seriously edited by me):
> I overstepped the rules and regulations involved in setting up newsgroups.
> Gene Spafford ( ..seismo!gatech!spaf) has pointed out my misdoings
> and requests that the newsgroup should be renamed or removed.
> (he suggests one of:)
>   1)  Form a moderated group.
>   2)  restrict to eunet.internat (or a similar group).
>   3)  Do the work by mailing list.
> Accordingly, we should consider this group closed.
> and I will find someone to set up a eunet.internat
> If somebody believes that there is a real need for a newsgroup like this, they
> are welcome to take up the cudgels with net.news.group.
> For the time being, us Europeans will talk to each other.

I don't see a lot of point in excluding the world "net" distribution
from one of the few Usenet topics that actually involves people around
the globe.  Since most Unix systems are designed and built outside
Europe, restricting the newsgroup to Europe seems silly (not to mention
insulting to Asians who have the same or worse problems.)

Net.internat seems to have readers and writers and a topic that
seriously needs research, investigation, discussion, and coordination.
If somehow somebody forgot to tap-dance when the music came on, so
what?  In this self-organized anarchistic network have we gotten so
bureaucratic that because a rule didn't get followed, we'd wipe out a
productive technical newsgroup?  (You can tell I've just finished
reading Ursula LeGuin's "The Disposessed" again...)

I know there are people at Sun following this newsgroup, working toward
making better products for the world market.  I'm sure this is true at
most or all of the other Unix manufactories.  And people, like me,
rewriting public domain Unix certainly could do a better job this time
if we could see what problems the current software faces in non-English
markets.

I don't quite remember when "the net" decided that new groups
should all be mod groups or mailing lists or local groups.  None of
those has quite the same effect as a "real" newsgroup, and I think a
real newsgroup is appropriate for this topic.

If you agree, send mail to Gene Spafford (..!mcvax!seismo!gatech!spaf)
and Mike Banahan (mcvax!ukc!inset!mikeb) and tell them what you think.
Just send mail -- don't post "me too" articles to the net -- unless you
have something more than that to say.

PS:  I'm looking for an "eunet" news feed from some local San Francisco
site.  Our feed (ptsfa) doesn't seem to carry those groups...