[net.internat] Bureaucracy - delete this group!

mikeb@inset.UUCP (Mike Banahan) (10/17/85)

Sigh!....

It looks as if in naievety and led on by excessive enthusiasm,
I overstepped the rules and regulations involved in setting up newsgroups.
The guardians of the news system rightly require that a number of steps
should be observed before unilaterally creating a newsgroup such as this one.
In my ignorance I underestimated what needed to be done.

Gene Spafford ( ..seismo!gatech!spaf) has pointed out my misdoings
and requests that the newsgroup should be renamed or removed. I would
like to say that the correspondence between us has been on a cordial
basis, and that I am quite ready to admit that the misunderstandings on
how to create this newsgroup have all been on my side.

If may be permitted to abstract from his last mail to me (a dangerous thing to
do, for quoting out of context can easily lead to misinterpretation),
he makes the following suggestions:

  1)  Form a moderated group.
  2)  Since the bulk of the postings come from Europe, restrict the
      distribution to eunet.internat (or a similar group).
  3)  Do the work by mailing list.

I have no time to moderate such a group, and feel that the widespread discussion
that the topic should have would not be well served by a mailing list.

Accordingly, we should consider this group closed. The EUUG mandate
in Copenhagen was that a newsgroup should be created, so that is what I will do.European readers of this group should expect to see this one disappear in
a couple of days time (I will not issue the removegroup command - my interest
is not in how these things are done and I don't understand them well),
and I will find someone to set up a newsgroup called, tentatively
       eunet.internat
unless somebody from an eunet backbone suggests a better name.

If somebody out there is better skilled at these negotiations than I,
and believes that there is a real need for a newsgroup like this, they
are welcome to take up the cudgels with net.news.group.

For the time being, us Europeans will talk to each other (as best we can:
it isn't easy talking Danish from a VT100 keyboard!). But I can't help
feeling that it's a shame that the US should be excluded.

My apologies to all concerned for the mess. My fault.

Bye bye, au revoir, arrividerci, auf wiedersehen, pa\o gjensyn, siyonara
etc......
Mike Banahan.
--
Mike Banahan, Technical Director, The Instruction Set Ltd.
mcvax!ukc!inset!mikeb

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/18/85)

> For the time being, us Europeans will talk to each other (as best we can:
> it isn't easy talking Danish from a VT100 keyboard!). But I can't help
> feeling that it's a shame that the US should be excluded.

How true!  Can nothing be done?
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

donn@hpfcla.UUCP (10/23/85)

I don't know if this will make it in time, but I'm also sorry to
see it go, as HP does have some real interest in internationalization.

We were planning in participating in the future.

Donn Terry
HP  Ft. Collins, Co.
{ihnp4|hplabs|hpbbn}!hpfcla!donn
                ^
		|________ use from Europe.

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (10/26/85)

I think it would be a real tragedy if this discussion was not kept up in
the U.S.  Americans have to be the most blind when it comes to recognizing
inter-cultural differences and the problems they raise.  There is probably
no good solution to the problem under discussion but that does not make
it esoteric or worthless.

I am new to the net and so I am in no position to fully appreciate the
"netiquette" of a newsgroups existence.  Could someone summarize what
is required if we want to keep this group up as an unmoderated group?
I assume hijacking a computer and holding it hostage would be frowned
upon even if this is a more international type of thing.

If this group does become restricted to the European networks, is there a
way I can continue to receive information?

DISCLAIMER: Nothing, especially this, represents the opinions of my
	    employer and I'd like to keep it that way.