[net.sf-lovers] Trumps of Doom

@RUTGERS.ARPA:LAURENCE@SU-CSLI.ARPA (02/23/85)

From: Laurence R Brothers  <LAURENCE@SU-CSLI.ARPA>

Will there be a "special limited edition", ie an edition which will
probably not disintegrate on re-reading?

-Laurence
-------

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:hmiller%mit-speaker@mit-athena.ARPA (04/09/85)

From: hmiller%mit-speaker@mit-athena.ARPA (Herbert A Miller)

	A while back (end of March?) somebody asked about _T_r_u_m_p_s _o_f _D_o_o_m.
The story is told from the viewpoint of Merlin, Corwin's son who was
introduced at the end of _C_o_u_r_t_s _o_f _C_h_a_o_s.
SEMI-SPOILER: Corwin is not involved in the book, and is barely mentioned.
The action takes place primarily on Earth, where Merlin is some kind of a
Computer Systems Designer, and in Amber, where Random is ruling without
open opposition.

@RUTGERS.ARPA:LAURENCE@SU-CSLI.ARPA (05/11/85)

From: Laurence R Brothers  <LAURENCE@SU-CSLI.ARPA>

It isn't QUITE a cliffhanger; rather it just isn't a successful climax.

I can see that there is some potential for criticizing the book on various
grounds, but as I am irrational with respect to Amber, please preface
your criticisms with a subject header that indicates same so I don't
have to read them....

-Laurence

"It's just one damned thing after another."
-------

LS.SRB@MIT-EECS (05/23/85)

From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

	Well, I  got  Trumps last  week  (probably the  last  copy  in
Harvard Square, as it happens) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I suppose
one might not  call it a  cliff-hanger, but in  that case I  certainly
don't know what else to call it.  I'm certainly looking forward to the
next one.  Does anyone know when it will be out?

	Anyway, I heard that there  is a lawsuit revolving around  the
cover art of ToD.  Supposedly, there is a claim that the picture is  a
rip-off of a  Whelan print, and  that they may  have to stop  printing
until a new cover is designed.   Does anyone know if there's  anything
to that?

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/31/85)

> From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
>
> ................................  I'm certainly looking forward to the
> next one.  Does anyone know when it will be out?

The next one, probably called GHOSTWHEEL, is scheduled to be
delivered in October.  One could normally expect it to appear
about a year later, but TRUMPS came out five and a half months
earlier than scheduled, so we can hope.  I enjoyed the book
a great deal, too.

			-- SKZB

SBALZAC%YKTVMX.BITNET@Berkeley.EDU (09/26/85)

From: Stephen Balzac <SBALZAC%YKTVMX.BITNET@Berkeley.EDU>

While it is true that Amberites are far stronger etc than normal people,
they tend to be secretive about it.  Neither Merlin nor Luke would be
too likely to display the full range of their physical abilities, so each
would think the other simply a top athlete.  Corwin acted that way to
a small degree in "Guns of Avalon".

Why shouldn't the Blue Crystal hold Merlin?  Bleys and Fiona were able to
neutralize Brand's powers, and he knew far more than Merlin does.  If
Luke was trained by his father, he could easily have inherited much of
Brand's abilities.

Someone brought up the point that Corwin is insane because blood was spilled
on his pattern.  Well, based on what Dworkin said in Sign of the Unicorn,
it would have to be either his blood or one of his descendents.  It can't
be his, since he cannot be hurt.  Remember that his pattern protects his
from harm.  He can feel pain, but cannot be injured.  And we know it wasn't
Merlin.  So unless Corwin has another child, not totally unlikely, since
he did spend 500yrs wandering around Earth, his insanity must be from
another cause, if he is truely insane.  Besides, it seems unlikely that
Luke, young and relatively inexperienced, could get at Corwin, who has,
after all, a few thousand years behind him.