[net.internat] Escape chars etc.

johnl@ima.UUCP (11/08/85)

/* Written  4:59 pm  Nov  7, 1985 by macrakis@harvard in ima:net.internat */
> Representing multiple character sets with shifts has been suggested on
> this list.  Roy Smith points out that this would cause great
> difficulties in using Unix tools, for instance:
> > Guess what breaks:
> > 	Tail -- you [have to] track the shift commands.
> > 	Grep -- should grep track the shift commands...
> > Do you now need a shift-optimizing filter ...?

Sounds to me like it's a bad idea to have shift sequences with global
effect, which is not too surprising.  If we declare that each line has to
be self-describing, with appropriate shift sequences at the beginning if
it is in other than the standard character set, that makes it entirely
possible to make tail, grep, and such work.

I think that we need to examine our conventions and assumptions about our
conventions very carefully, and if we do, we can come up with a set that
makes it possible to get work done without having to rewrite every
bit of code from scratch.

John Levine, ima!johnl

In article <125100002@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP writes:
>Sounds to me like it's a bad idea to have shift sequences with global
>effect, which is not too surprising.  If we declare that each line has to
>be self-describing, with appropriate shift sequences at the beginning if
>it is in other than the standard character set, that makes it entirely
>possible to make tail, grep, and such work.

OK, but I think you still want to be able to put a global override for the
entire file at the beginning.  A rule that says shift sequences not at the
beginning of the file affect the current line only seems like a reasonable
compromise.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka