[net.internat] Anti-Hyphenation

sommar@enea.UUCP (Erland Sommarskog) (11/20/85)

Someone (Sorry, I didn't care to include his article) in <3353@brl-tgr.ARPA>
talks against hyphenation.

Let's fisrt note: If you right-justify, sometimes you must hyphenate
                  to      avoid      lines    like      this     one
                  which are very hard to read.
Then my main question:
                  What about newspapers? Should they look like
		  One
		  word
		  on
		  every line, when long words appear in the text.

I will not suggest hyphenation should be done everywhere possible,
but in some places you got to do it. And it shall always be done
with care, no matter if you writing by hand or by computer.

craig@dcl-cs.UUCP (Craig Wylie) (11/22/85)

In article <1092@enea.UUCP> sommar@enea.UUCP (Erland Sommarskog) writes:
>Then my main question:
>                  What about newspapers? Should they look like
>		  One
>		  word
>		  on
>		  every line, when long words appear in the text.
>
>I will not suggest hyphenation should be done everywhere possible,
>but in some places you got to do it. And it shall always be done
>with care, no matter if you writing by hand or by computer.

It certainly seems that some newspapers in the  UK are going that way,
the Guardian, not known for its good typesetting :-), has definitely
had the occasional line with only one(mor usually two) words on it.

--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp@ucl-cs 	  |	  Department of Computing,

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (11/29/85)

Bob Bemer, in a series of articles he wrote for *Interface Age* on ASCII
(including code-extension techniques, which discussion might be very
appropriate here), mentions that Italian publishers have *no* trouble with
hyphenation.  If a word won't fit on a line, they underscore the last
character that fits, no matter what it is, and pick up with it on the
next line.  No fuss, no muss.

						James Jones