[net.internat] crontab: Sunday=7, not 0.

leif@erisun.UUCP (Leif Samuelsson) (11/10/85)

In article <2006@umcp-cs.UUCP> chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>> I believe the V7 man page lied; it said the days went 1-7 with 1=Monday,
>> when the actually went 0-6 with 0-Sunday.  The USG/USDL (people who brought
>> you S3/S5) fixed the man page.  The CSRG at UCB (people who brought you
>> 4.xBSD) fixed the *code* in 4.2.  They should have known better . . . .
>
>Do not be too hard on them:  at least they did something about it.
>
>The solution now is probably to make 0=7=Sunday everywhere.

If anyone decides to write a brand new version of Unix, then
this should be put straight once and for all. It is now over 15
years since ISO decided that Monday is the first day of the
week. Hence, we can number the days 0-6 or 1-7, but Monday
should be first!

Leif Samuelsson

Ericsson Information Systems AB			..enea!erix!erisun!leif
Advanced Workstations Division
S-172 93  SUNDBYBERG				59 19 N / 17 57 E
SWEDEN

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (11/14/85)

In article <379@erisun.UUCP> leif@erisun.UUCP (Leif Samuelsson) writes:
>In article <2006@umcp-cs.UUCP> chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>> I believe the V7 man page lied; it said the days went 1-7 with 1=Monday,
>>> when the actually went 0-6 with 0-Sunday.  The USG/USDL (people who brought
>>> you S3/S5) fixed the man page.  The CSRG at UCB (people who brought you
>>> 4.xBSD) fixed the *code* in 4.2.  They should have known better . . . .
>>
>>Do not be too hard on them:  at least they did something about it.
>>
>>The solution now is probably to make 0=7=Sunday everywhere.
>
>If anyone decides to write a brand new version of Unix, then
>this should be put straight once and for all. It is now over 15
>years since ISO decided that Monday is the first day of the
>week. Hence, we can number the days 0-6 or 1-7, but Monday
>should be first!

 For several hundred years sunday has been the first day of the
week. Look at any calandar.

overlord@nmtvax.UUCP (11/25/85)

>>this should be put straight once and for all. It is now over 15
>>years since ISO decided that Monday is the first day of the
>>week. Hence, we can number the days 0-6 or 1-7, but Monday
>>should be first!
>>
> For several hundred years sunday has been the first day of the
>week. Look at any calandar.

That was rather closeminded and uninformed.  For your information many
(most?) European calanders start with monday and have saturday and sunday
(the weekEND) at the end of the week.  Just because most US calandars start
with sunday doesn't mean they all do!

                                            Alan Kerr
                                            New Mexico Tech

--
...{convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs}!unmvax!nmtvax!overlord
                         ...{purdue,cmc12}!lanl!nmtvax!overlord

jo@epistemi.UUCP (Jo Calder) (11/30/85)

In article <947@rlvd.UUCP> mike@rlvd.UUCP (Mike Woods) writes:

>For at least the last two and a half thousand years Sunday has been
>the first day of the week. How on Earth can ISO decide to run
>counter to the whole (well almost) of humanity and announce that
>Monday is the "standard" first day of the week. I find this somewhat
>pathetic.
>
>Mike Woods.
>--
>
>UK JANET:	mike@uk.ac.rl.vd
>UUCP:		..!mcvax!ukc!rlvd!mike

Try telling that to the Chinese.  There are considerably
more of them than there are USENET users, and they all say
a rough equivalent of

week1   ...... week6
Monday         Saturday

Sunday doesn't follow the above pattern, but then nothing
is perfect.

    Jonathan Calder, University of Edinburgh,
    		     Centre for Cognitive Science,
		     2 Buccleuch Place,
		     Edinburgh, EH8 9LW,
		     Scotland
    ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!jo

You run your mouth and I'll run my business.

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (12/03/85)

> Now as we seem to agree about facts, can we decide whether there is
> reason enough to *change* the original definition in an existing
> operating system, as was suggested in the first place? If there is
> any risk for incompatibility with earlier software, I'm afraid that
> would do more harm than good, but perhaps some systems development
> expert could make out the details?
> --
> Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden

If anyone is planning on changing cron, don't just change the numbers!
Leave the numbers the same so you don't confuse everyone, and allow
"Mon", "Tue",...  Also, "Jan", "Feb", etc...

--

			   John Owens
General Electric Company		Phone:	(804) 978-5726