[net.internat] Orphaned Response

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (01/16/86)

/* Written  7:19 am  Dec 11, 1985 by lamy@utai.UUCP in net.internat */
Translating error messages: Ok. What about a french version of the infamous
"bad magic number".
/* End of text from net.internat */

I'd say one should take advantage of the opportunity and do a French version
of what the error message should have been all along, i.e. something like
"not a .o file for this processor."  If one of the results of international-
ization is the elimination of cretinous messages like "bad magic number,"
it deserves support from even the most isolationist of users.

					James Jones

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (01/20/86)

In article <51400005@uokvax.UUCP> emjej@uokvax.UUCP writes:

>/* Written  7:19 am  Dec 11, 1985 by lamy@utai.UUCP in net.internat */
>Translating error messages: Ok. What about a french version of the infamous
>"bad magic number".
>/* End of text from net.internat */
>
>I'd say one should take advantage of the opportunity and do a French version
>of what the error message should have been all along, i.e. something like
>"not a .o file for this processor."

Aaah, but that does not cover the scope of errors covered by `bad magic
number' which can also tell you that you are trying to load a library
module from a file that is not a library and various other things.  `Bad
magic number' says it all for me,  but what I would like to see instead
is an on-line program to explain errors (perhaps in more than one
language).

--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

sandrock@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/23/86)

re: public-domain Kanji font

Although I know of no such public domain font,
you may want to read the "Favoring Kanji" article in the
January 1986 issue of BYTE magazine (page 381) by William M. Raike.

The upshot of the article is that many good Japanese language
word-processing machines are now being marketed, for under $2000.
(There is now a Japanese language Macintosh called the DynaMac selling
for about $4575 according to this article!)

The only obstacle (if you have the money) is that they are only sold in
Japan at present.

Hope this helps you out!
				- Mark Sandrock

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!sandrock
ARPANET: sandrock%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	 sandrock%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, Noyes Lab, 505 S Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801
AT&T:	 217-244-0560