[net.internat] Are the funny letters really needed?

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (02/06/86)

Roy Smith, in 2178@phri, writes:

>I would guess, however, that most European languages would do OK
>without an extended character set.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be ugly, or
>that it wouldn't look funny, or that this would be acceptable for business
>letters.  I'm just saying that the meaning would be clear.  For an ATM,
>that's probably good enough.

Once upon a time, when computers were new and didn't have any funny
letters, a Swedish man refused to pay a bill.  He said that the
bill wasn't made out to him and that he had the right to his own
name.  The courts agreed.

Computers quickly learned the correct alphabet.

There are a number of examples where leaving the "diacritics" off a
word drastically changes its meaning.  For example, if you leave
the ~ off the name of the mayor of Denver, you are calling him
a small dog.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/08/86)

>>letters.  I'm just saying that the meaning would be clear.  For an ATM,
>>that's probably good enough.

I agree that it's perhaps unambiguous, but the use of all caps and of 1970
style displays is not very engaging.

While we are on the topic of diacritics, I'd like to know what people in
Europe do with electronic mail?  I usually leave out the accents when I send
e-mail in French, since the cases where ambiguous meanings result are few
and far between.  A native speaker usually has no problem with this.  Not
that I have the choice of not omitting them, unfortunately.  Terminals with
the capability to display French are not widespread, and even then they fail
to agree on a common standard...

The French researchers I've met seem at home on QWERTY keyboards, which leads
me to believe that they don't use the AZERTY layout.  Is this true? Does word
processing hardware use the AZERTY layout?

How many people in Europe actually use computer terminals with the proper
layout for their language?

--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

CSNet: lamy@toronto.csnet  UUCP: {utzoo,ihnp4,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!lamy
EAN: lamy@iro.udem.cdn     ARPA: lamy%toronto.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.arpa

hmm@unido.UUCP (02/14/86)

Right now, I'm using an Atari 520 ST to write this response.
We have plenty of them at our university as terminals.
This neat machine is delivered with a national keyboard only,
which is a real hassle for us.  We are used to the american
layout and character set (Imagine a C program with umlaut-a
and umlaut-u as left and right brace).  So we have patched the
bios of the atari to generate the 'right' keycodes and have put
little sticker with the 'right' characters onto the keycaps.
Not the real thing, though.  They loosen after some time and
have to be replaced (especially the often-used ones, like /?).
So much about national keyboards...

	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.uucp>
	University of Dortmund

sommar@enea.UUCP (Erland Sommarskog) (02/15/86)

In article <73400002@unido.UUCP> hmm@unido.UUCP writes:
>Right now, I'm using an Atari 520 ST to write this response.
>We have plenty of them at our university as terminals.
>This neat machine is delivered with a national keyboard only,
>which is a real hassle for us.  We are used to the american
>layout and character set (Imagine a C program with umlaut-a
>and umlaut-u as left and right brace).  So we have patched the
>bios of the atari to generate the 'right' keycodes and have put
>little sticker with the 'right' characters onto the keycaps.
>Not the real thing, though.  They loosen after some time and
>have to be replaced (especially the often-used ones, like /?).
>So much about national keyboards...
>
>	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.uucp>
>	University of Dortmund

NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is of course not the national keyboard, it's the programming
language. Using characters like {} that actually are letters in other
languages is nothing but a crime. (Well, C is criminal anyway I think,
but that's another story.) And if the bloody stupid langauge must use
these symbols, it also have to provide alternatives. E.g. most Pascal-
compilers allow you to use (. .) instead of [] and (* *) to replace {}.

(And talking about Pascal-compilers and national lanuages, I remember
the first one I worked with. It was for Univac 1100 and was developed
at the University if Copenhagen in Denmark. If started your program
with the directive (*$DANSK*), the compiler accepted ][\ (which are
letters in Scandinavian ASCII:s) as letter in identifiers. Of course
their normal use were disabled then. (DANSK if you wonder means "Danish"
in Danish. I loved that very much.)

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/17/86)

>The problem is of course not the national keyboard, it's the programming
>language. Using characters like {} that actually are letters in other
>languages is nothing but a crime. (Well, C is criminal anyway I think,
>but that's another story.) And if the bloody stupid langauge must use
>these symbols, it also have to provide alternatives. E.g. most Pascal-
>compilers allow you to use (. .) instead of [] and (* *) to replace {}.

I think this is the tail wagging the dog, and a mighty big tail wagging
a very small dog. Re-write the compilers and programming language texts
etc to fit the keyboards? Seems strange to me, seems like keyboards ought
to have curly braces if they have come into such common use and the
umlauts should be moved elsewhere (ie. both should be able to co-exist,
I don't understand, what's the big deal?)

In fact, our C compiler in our IBM environment was modified to accept what
you suggest (same as Pascal) because of the EBCDIC environment, trust me,
it causes lotsa confusion, it's unbelievable how annoying it is for students
(and worse, experienced programmers) to not be able to figure out how to
type a piece of code in because of brain-damaged keyboards, it's a nightmare
at user-services with person after person lining up to ask the same question
for about 3 years now. And once it gets typed in, try porting it, translating
that is such a stupid waste of time.

Of course, there is the compromise in C, as is stated in one of the C