[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #361

cracraft@isi-vaxa.ARPA (09/14/85)

From: Stuart Cracraft <CRACRAFT@ISI-VAXA.ARPA>

Regarding DHALGREN by Delaney...

I think the book is total garbage. I stopped less than half-way
because I couldn't stomach 1) the boredom 2) the verbosity with
no real purpose 3) the self-indulging nature of the author.
Delaney has never been one of my favorite authors in any
genre, because I think his 'experimental' styles and
'clever techniques' are almost useless in terms of telling
a good story and telling it well.

For many of the same reasons I didn't like Joyce's FINNEGAN'S
WAKE OR ULLYSES (sp?). These types of 'experiments' just don't
appeal to me.

Folks, if you want a really BRILLIANT novel that extends the
concept of what it means to *BE* a novel, please read
Vladimir Nabokov's LOLITA. Forget everything you've heard
about it from 'old wives' concerned about their children and
all that usual clap-trap. Go into it with an open mind, get
past the first difficult 20-30 pages, and you will have found
the gem of all novels.

Since I read the book 5 years ago, nothing, REPEAT NOTHING, I have
read has come close. In fact, Nabokov and his wily ways may have
done permanent damage to my ability to enjoy novels. Sadly, none
of Nabokov's other novels even comes close to this one work,
so it really stands alone.

	Stuart
-------

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (09/17/85)

In article <3659@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Stuart Cracraft writes:
>Since I read [_Lolita_] 5 years ago, nothing, REPEAT NOTHING, I have
>read has come close. In fact, Nabokov and his wily ways may have
>done permanent damage to my ability to enjoy novels. Sadly, none
>of Nabokov's other novels even comes close to this one work,
>so it really stands alone.

Have you given _Ada_ a try?  I liked it about as much as I did _Lolita_, which
is very much indeed.  Also, _Bend_Sinister_, which for some reason is unknown
to even a lot of Nabokov addicts, dazzles in that same reflective/refractive
way characteristic of _Lolita_.  A few of the short stories do too.

>        Stuart

Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (09/23/85)

In article <3659@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> cracraft@isi-vaxa.ARPA writes:

>Folks, if you want a really BRILLIANT novel that extends the
>concept of what it means to *BE* a novel, please read
>Vladimir Nabokov's LOLITA. Forget everything you've heard
>about it from 'old wives' concerned about their children and
>all that usual clap-trap. Go into it with an open mind, get
>past the first difficult 20-30 pages, and you will have found
>the gem of all novels.

Exactly (although 'gem of all novels' may be overstating it). I
recommend highly the Appell (sp?) annotated version, which has
copious notes discussing the text and a lot of information about
Nabokov's writing of the novel. I've read this book 4 times and
continue to find new delights in it.

Oh, yes: Lolita has NOTHING to do with pornography. If you want to
know what it IS about, get the Appell edition and read it.

>Since I read the book 5 years ago, nothing, REPEAT NOTHING, I have
>read has come close. In fact, Nabokov and his wily ways may have
>done permanent damage to my ability to enjoy novels. Sadly, none
>of Nabokov's other novels even comes close to this one work,
>so it really stands alone.

I'm afraid I disagree on Nabokov's other novels; I've read several
of his other books 2 or 3 times and have found them NEARLY as
rewarding as Lolita. Lolita is, however, a towering masterpiece of
post-WW2 literature beside which most other novels written since 1950
(including Nabokov's) pale in comparison. I highly recommend new
readers start with Lolita, then try Laughter In The Dark or maybe
Despair or Pnin, then Ada and Pale Fire (perhaps his strangest book).
They all have something interesting and valuable to offer the careful
reader.

Oh, yes, in my opinion in my opinion in my opinion. But before you
start flaming us for even SUGGESTING a non-SF book to readers of this
group, go check out the last few lyrical paragraphs in Lolita. It soars,
it soars. Roughly from memory:

       I am talking about aurochs and angels, the immortality of
       pigment, the only immortality we shall ever know, my Lolita.

                            -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (09/27/85)

> Oh, yes, in my opinion in my opinion in my opinion. But before you
> start flaming us for even SUGGESTING a non-SF book to readers of this
> group, go check out the last few lyrical paragraphs in Lolita. It soars,
> it soars.
>
>                             -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

Just to make you feel better, *I* understood the implied
"in my opinion."  My first reaction to the bit about
expecting to be flamed for suggesting a non-SF book was
that you were becoming paranoid.  But, on reflection,
perhaps not.

Oh, by the way, I have read LOLITA.  The writing is quite
good.  I seem to be as taken with it as you two, but I
will back your recommendation.

			-- SKZB

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (09/27/85)

>   I seem to be as taken with it as you two, but I

	  ^ please insert the word "not" here.

			-- SKZB