[net.auto.tech] Supra snow tires

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (10/13/85)

In article <219@husky.uucp> mls@husky.uucp (Mark Stevans) writes:

>I have 225/60HR14 Dunlop radials on my Toyota Supra right now, but, since
>winter appears scant hours away here in northwestern New York State, I
>solicit advice on what to do about snow tires.

>Should I get 70 series snow tires and buy narrower steel wheels to match, or
>go with the only 60 series snows I could find, namely Goodyear Eagle Mud and
>Snow 215/60R14 tires (at $113 each) and mount them on the existing mag wheels?

The best solution (and probably the cheapest) is to buy a pair of 5J14
steel rims and mount 175SR14.  If you're going to be driving in deep
snow, narrow tires are the best (it's sort of amusing seeing Audi
Sport Quattros on skimpy 165SR15 Tiki snow tires in World Championship
Rallies...).  175SR14 should be about the right height.  A good choice
for the tire brand would be the Hakkapeliitta (from Finland), which is
available at most performance shops.

And yes, snow (and especially salt) will corrode alloy wheels.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982