[net.sf-lovers] Nepotism

Lubkin@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (09/21/85)

From: "Lubkin David"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

While it is true that Fritz Leiber, Sr. was an actor, it is also true that
Fritz Leiber, Jr.'s son, Justin, has written sf.  He has at least one novel
alone and (I think) one novel written with his father.

I can't think of any other parent-child sf pairs, but there are quite a few
husband-wife pairs, with separate careers or in collaboration.  Off-hand:

   L. Sprague de Camp & Catherine de Camp
   Joan Vinge & Vernor Vinge
   Joan Vinge & Jim Frenkel (Bluejay Books)
   Spider & (once) Jeanne Robinson
   Betty & Ian Ballantine (Ballantine Books)
   Damon Knight & Kate Wilhelm
   Lisa Tuttle & Charles Platt (or whoever it was she married)
   C. L. Moore & Ed Hamilton   (ditto)
   Don & Elsie Wollheim (DAW Books.  Now daughter too)
   Paul & Genevieve Linebarger (as Cordwainer Smith.  About half were written
      by PMAL by himself, and half with his wife.)
   Carol Emshwiller & Ed Emshwiller (famous 50's artist as Emsh, now artsy
      filmmaker)
   Isaac Asimov & J. O. Jeppson (sp?) (this may not count, as it's not clear
      that her book would have been published had she not been married to him)
   me and my wife Leslye

Many other such couples, esp. from Clarion.  Please expand my list.

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (09/24/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-a

In article <3711@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Lubkin@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>Many other such couples, esp. from Clarion.  Please expand my list.

        Didn't E.E. (Doc) Smith's wife help him out with the dialogue
        and love interest? Otherwise Kinnisson and McDonald would
        have had to get together over a smoking DeLameter...
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	'Only too far is far enough'

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (09/25/85)

>Many other such couples, esp. from Clarion.  Please expand my list.

I believe Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore were married and collaborated on SF.
Anyone know about this?

J.A.

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (09/25/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-a

      --------------------------------------------->????????
>        have had to get together over a smoking DeLameter...
>--
>       Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>
>
>       ...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete
>
>       'Only too far is far enough'

        This man's an idiot! He means, of course, Clarrissa
        MacDougall, red-headed heartthrob of the Terran Nursing
        Corps. QX, Red.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	'Only too far is far enough'

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (09/25/85)

>From: "Lubkin David"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>I can't think of any other parent-child sf pairs, but there are quite a few
>husband-wife pairs, with separate careers or in collaboration.  Off-hand:
>Many other such couples, esp. from Clarion.  Please expand my list.

	How about Lester Delray and his late wife Evelyn and his
	present wife, Judy, I think, who is an editor and my have
	some publishing credits I suspect.

>  C. L. Moore & Ed Hamilton   (ditto)

	I may be wrong but I think she was once married to Cyril
	Kornbluth, although that doesn't rule out her being married
	to Hamilton too.

>  Isaac Asimov & J. O. Jeppson (sp?) (this may not count, as it's not clear
>     that her book would have been published had she not been married to him)

	Your lucky Doctor A isn't on the net. He gets very irate when
	people say things like that. He stated very firmly in his
	autobiography that he exerted no influence to get his wife's
	novels published.
--
     Joel Upchurch
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/27/85)

/* Written  4:46 pm  Sep 20, 1985 by Lubkin@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU in ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */
/* ---------- "Nepotism" ---------- */
From: "Lubkin David"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

   Lisa Tuttle & Charles Platt (or whoever it was she married)
   C. L. Moore & Ed Hamilton   (ditto)
   Don & Elsie Wollheim (DAW Books.  Now daughter too)
/* End of text from ccvaxa:net.sf-lovers */

Corrections:
Lisa Tuttle is married to Christopher Priest.
To my knowledge, Charles Platt has never married anyone.
C.L. Moore was married to Henry Kuttner.
Leigh Brackett was married to Ed Hamilton.

Additions:
The Wollheims' daughter is Betsy. (DAW has been seriously ill, by the way.)
James Blish was married to Virginia Kidd.
Marion Zimmer Bradley and Paul Zimmer are sister and brother.
John Clees, Diana Paxson, and Paul Zimmer are married to one another.
C.J. Cherryh's brother, David Cherry, is a fantasy and SF artist.
Robert (Buck) and Juanita Coulson are married.
Cyril Kornbluth's wife, Mary, did some editorial work.
Alexei and Corey Panshin (husband and wife) have written together.
Wendy and Richard Pini (husband and wife) did *Elfquest* together.
Arkady and Boris Strugatsky are brothers.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat

friedman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/27/85)

Another husband-wife pair of sf writers:
	James Blish and J. A. Lawrence

chris@ICO.UUCP (09/28/85)

Clarissa is not a hamburger! :-)

			chris