[net.auto.tech] 75 Toyota Corolla, starting problem

alok@ecn-pc.UUCP (Alok Kulshreshtha) (10/28/85)

This is a continuation of the previous article
on the same subject. I called the Toyota dealer
in town today and the people there told me that
the car DID come with a 'seat-belt interlock'
system, but that was disconnected prior to
delivery (the car was bought new in New York state,
I know, and this dealer is in Lafayette IN; I don't
know if the laws on the 'seat-belt interlock' system
varied from state to state at that time -- 1975).
They also told me that if the problem was in that
system, the car would NEVER start, so I presume that
the problem is NOT in the 'seat-belt interlock' system
because it is only occasional. They suggested it could
be either the battery or the starter. I know my battery
is good-as-new; my connections are clean too.

I may also add that a few days ago when the car refused
to start for a couple of minutes, I tried to push it with
the transmission engaged (it's a four-speed manual), because
I thought maybe the starter teeth and flywheel teeth
weren't engaging properly and pushing the car this way
could change the flywheel position. But this didn't help.
The car started a few minutes later anyway, though.

If the problem is in the starter (or the solenoid), is
the starter (or solenoid) easy to replace by myself ?
I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks a lot.

svirsky@ttidcb.UUCP (William Svirsky) (10/31/85)

In article <411@ecn-pc.UUCP> alok@ecn-pc.UUCP (Alok Kulshreshtha) writes:

>If the problem is in the starter (or the solenoid), is
>the starter (or solenoid) easy to replace by myself ?

Replacing the solenoid and/or starter is usually not very difficult.
Your best bet is to go to a bookstore or auto parts store and get a
repair manual for your car.  Chilton is usually good.  You shouldn't
need to get the one that covers all makes of cars.  Chilton also makes
manuals for specific autos.  They usually include a troubleshooting
guide to help you pinpoint the problem.

You said the battery was in good condition and the connections were
clean.  A friend of mine once cleaned his battery terminals with a wire
brush and thought they were clean and his car still wouldn't start.  We
eventually found out that the corrosion on the terminals was tough enough
to resist the wire brush.  We had to scrape the connections with a knife
before the corrosion came off.  A good way to test if the battery is
supplying enough juice is to turn on your headlights and try to start the
car.  If the headlights dim alot, then your battery may be weak or the
terminals may be dirty.  Try this next time you start the car and also
next time the car won't start.  See if there is any difference.
Hope this helps.

Bill Svirsky
Citicorp/TTI
Santa Monica, CA