[net.auto.tech] MGB rear end noises

hank@masscomp.UUCP (Hank Cohen) (10/31/85)

In article <1154@homxa.UUCP> delbene@homxa.UUCP (K.DELBENE) writes:

>Sometimes when I accelerate hard off the line, I get a sharp knock
>from the passenger side rear.  I've checked the brakes and spring shackles,
>but nothing seems amiss.  I've had the problem since I bought the car 2 years
>ago, but never experienced it on any other B's I've owned.  Having
>just had the car repainted 6 months ago, I told them to check for any frame
>cancer, but the prognosis came back negative.  Anyone ever experienced such
>a problem?

Your knock may be due to a bad rubber bushing on some suspension component
that flexes under hard accelleration.
I would like to mention that burning rubber off the starting line in an
MG or Triumph is a very dangerous game.  The first gear in those British
transmissions used to be straight cut instead of helical cut like all of
the others.  This means that all of the load is carried by one gear tooth
and you can strip off a tooth or two trying to drag race in those cars.
My experience is a few years old so they may have fixed the problem but
there are a lot of MG's around that go clunk clunk clunk in first gear.
		Iligitimi non carborundum
			Hank Cohen

eshelman@tekigm.UUCP (Douglas Eshelman) (11/02/85)

If you have wire wheels, it is possible that the splines are worn
(as they are on all my wheels, which go clunk on acceleration and
braking -- unless I get real excited with my spanner and hammer).
Ie, tighten your wheels.  It is also possible that your shock bolts
may be loose.  The offside, rear wheel splines tend to wear first,
since it receives most of the torque on accelaration.  The problem
is aggravated by improper care and tightening of the wheels ( I'll
take Reagan's stand and blame the previous owners ).