[net.auto.tech] Citroen + volvo

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (10/22/85)

	I've been looking at Citroen's (1969 - 72 vintage) and the
old volvo sports car, the P1800. Has anyone had any experience
with either of these cars?

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (10/24/85)

Volvo P-1800 can be worked on by auto mechanics.
Citroens need a plumber.

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (10/24/85)

In article <5709@fortune.UUCP> strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) writes:

>	I've been looking at Citroen's (1969 - 72 vintage) and the
>old volvo sports car, the P1800. Has anyone had any experience

The P1800 uses a custom made English built body with stock Volvo
running gear. The parts are durable, in good supply and anyone with
a little mechanical aptitude can work on them. The Citroen has a
unique hydraulic suspension and electrostatic clutch that no one
outside of the Fifth Republic seems to understand. Parts supply
is almost totally nonexistant, which is a shame aince they are
required quite often. Your mechanics name must be either Pierre
or Jacque.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (10/27/85)

Dave Williams says:
> 			.
> 			.
>
> 					     The Citroen has a
> unique hydraulic suspension and electrostatic clutch that no one
> outside of the Fifth Republic seems to understand. Parts supply
> is almost totally nonexistant, which is a shame aince they are
> required quite often. Your mechanics name must be either Pierre
> or Jacque.

I understand that, since Puegeut(sp?) and Citroen are now one big
happy family, one can order Citroen parts trhough the Puegeut parts
center, located in North Jersey or Connecticut (I think) and wait
six weeks until they arrive. In addition, there is a Citroen garage in
North Jersey which could be of some assistance.

I would, however, not recommend the purchase of a Citroen (or any other
French car, for that matter) to any non-masochistic types.

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T  HO 3D-534, (201)949-0366, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (11/02/85)

> 	I've been looking at Citroen's (1969 - 72 vintage) and the
> old volvo sports car, the P1800. Has anyone had any experience
> with either of these cars?

having owned 9 Volvos (still have 3 245 wagons and 2- 1971 1800Es) i think i can help you
with info on 1800s.  They are essentially the same mechanically as the sedans,
although they often have higher state of tune. (example: '71 1800E 130 or 135
HP in US version, 2/4/5 sedan/wagon were 105-115 HP).  Mechanical parts
are not a problem, although not many people are qualified to work on
electronic injection.  this is relatively trouble free with exception of
neccessity of replacing throttle switch app. every 30K miles (engine idles erratic
i. e. it hunts and occasionally stumbles below 1500 RPM are symptoms).
Body parts are getting hard to find, especially small things like trim.
Volvo Sports America, the 1800 club, is a good source for these parts.

If I can be of any further help give me a call at 201-386-6865 during
business hours (EST)