[net.auto.tech] Reverse noise

mjs@g.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Stehlik) (11/05/85)

It is true that REVERSE gear on most manual transmissions is not
synchronized.  That means that it's quite possible that you will get a
little grinding noise when you engage the gear.  The noise is normal
and the 'wear and tear' is minimal.

A solution that I've found to work real well on my Mazda -

    Shift into a forward gear (pick one, any one will do - I use 3rd)
    before shifting into reverse.  Leave your foot on the clutch and
    shift into REVERSE.  This has the advantage of using the syncros
    to "line things up" and, consequently, the shift into REVERSE is
    noiseless.

--

ARPA:  mjs@cmu-cs-g
--

paul@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Fries) (11/06/85)

In article <326@g.cs.cmu.edu> mjs@g.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Stehlik) writes:
>It is true that REVERSE gear on most manual transmissions is not
>synchronized.  That means that it's quite possible that you will get a
>little grinding noise when you engage the gear.  The noise is normal
>and the 'wear and tear' is minimal.
>
>A solution that I've found to work real well on my Mazda -
>
>    Shift into a forward gear (pick one, any one will do - I use 3rd)
>    before shifting into reverse.  Leave your foot on the clutch and
>    shift into REVERSE.  This has the advantage of using the syncros
>    to "line things up" and, consequently, the shift into REVERSE is
>    noiseless.

The thunk into reverse is due to the fact that the mainshaft of the
transmission is still spinning after you have depressed the clutch.
Using the synchronizers of another gear lets you stop the mainshaft
without the thunk (synchronizers equalize the speed differential
between the two sets of shafts with less noise), however, the gears
are not necessarily "lined-up".  You may not always be able to get
it into reverse on the first try, as the exact positions of the
reverse gears are uncertain.

If it doesn't work the first time:
	1) Shift back to neutral,
	2) release clutch (lets mainshaft spin again)
	3) depress clutch
	4) shift into a synchronized gear, then to
	   reverse (as per previous suggestion).
Repeat this procedure as necessary to get into reverse without noise.