[net.auto.tech] Audi 4000 Battery Charging

drk@ihuxo.UUCP (D. R. Kertz) (11/04/85)

I have an 1983 Audi 4000 that does not charge the battery properly
when first started.  However, once I rev the engine sufficiently,
the charging jumps up to 14 volts (as shown on my voltmeter) and
everything is fine until the next time I start the car.  If I don't
rev the engine, the battery will slowly discharge until the car dies
(it has an electric fuel pump).  I have taken my car to a competent
mechanic and he has not been able to find anything wrong.  I have
lived with this for about a year now but I do so with some uneasiness.
If anyone has any ideas about this problem, I would appreciate
suggestions.
					Denis Kertz

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/09/85)

In article <534@ihuxo.UUCP> drk@ihuxo.UUCP (D. R. Kertz) writes:

>I have an 1983 Audi 4000 that does not charge the battery properly
>when first started.  However, once I rev the engine sufficiently,
>the charging jumps up to 14 volts (as shown on my voltmeter) and
>everything is fine until the next time I start the car.  If I don't
>rev the engine, the battery will slowly discharge until the car dies
>(it has an electric fuel pump).

This is common with many cars; seems that practically all VWs and
Audis do this (I have owned/driven Beetles, Rabbits, GTIs, Jettas,
4000s, 5000s, and they all do the same).  The light stays on until you
tap the gas pedal lightly or start driving (and get above about 2000
rpm).  Never had any electrical problems with any of thhese cars
though, ad the behaviour seems quite normal, if somewhat discomforting.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Im all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979