[net.auto.tech] diagnostic tools for fuel injection

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (11/10/85)

In article <476@harvard.ARPA> friedell@harvard.ARPA (Mark Friedell) writes:
>I'm trying to debug the fuel injection on my '78 Rabbit and I've discovered
>that I need about $10,000 in diagnostic equipment to do it.  In particular,
>I'd like to get a reading of the control pressure between the control-pressure
>regulator and the fule distributor.  The shop manual claims that this is
>a piece of cake -- just connect your special VW CIS control-pressure guage.
>And of course... to adjust the fuel mixture... just connect your home
>exhaust-gas analyzer.

Heathkit sells an exhaust-gas analyser (CO meter) for something like
$100.  You can make your own gauge with a pressure gauge that will
handle the 60-70 psi, a valve, and some high-pressure fuel line
with banjo fittings.  (A friend of mine did this, it works.)

If you do this, make sure that all the parts you use can handle
the pressures involved.  Let's not go spraying gas all over that
nice hot exhaust manifold!

Snoopy (ECS Ronin #901)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy