[net.auto.tech] Spark plug technology

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/09/85)

As well all know (since we read net.auto.tech, right?), a spark plug
has an end shaped something like the diagram below:

                     |---------------\
                     |-------------\  \
           gap -->    _____         \  \
                     |     |         \  \
                     |     |          |  |
                     |     |          |  |

Well, how about this design?  I found one of these just last night.
Anybody seen it before?

			     gap

                       |----|  |---------------\
                       |    |  |-------------\  \
                       |    |                 \  \
                       |    |                  \  \
                       |    |                   |  |
                       |    |                   |  |

Where I found this was on my new (!) 1956 Porsche 356A 1600 engine.  I
was disassembling it, and pulled the spark plugs to examine them.  I
took me about three looks before I actually figured out why the plugs
didn't look right.  Is this what all plugs used to look like 30 years
ago or is this specifically a Porsche plug (they're made by Bosch).

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Im all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (11/13/85)

> As well all know (since we read net.auto.tech, right?), a spark plug
> has an end shaped something like the diagram below:
>

>                      |---------------\
>                      |-------------\  \
>            gap -->    _____         \  \
>                      |     |         \  \
>                      |     |          |  |
>                      |     |          |  |

> Well, how about this design?  I found one of these just last night.
> Anybody seen it before?
>
> 			     gap
>
>                        |----|  |---------------\
>                        |    |  |-------------\  \
>                        |    |                 \  \
>                        |    |                  \  \
>                        |    |                   |  |
>                        |    |                   |  |

> Where I found this was on my new (!) 1956 Porsche 356A 1600 engine.  I
> was disassembling it, and pulled the spark plugs to examine them.  I
> took me about three looks before I actually figured out why the plugs
> didn't look right.  Is this what all plugs used to look like 30 years
> ago or is this specifically a Porsche plug (they're made by Bosch).

Plugs like these have been used in nearly every piston powered airplane
ever built.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (11/14/85)

In article <3163@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP writes:

> As well all know (since we read net.auto.tech, right?), a spark plug
> has an end shaped something like the diagram below:
--- diagram deleted ---

> Well, how about this design?  I found one of these just last night.
> Anybody seen it before?

--- 'nother diagram deleted ---

We used to reshape conventional plugs to have that style gap in some of the
drag race cars I used to run... seems that the piston came up enough to close
the gap on the conventional design.

Someone used to make (may still) a plug with a center electrode and a ring
around it, which fires on the surface of the insulator. Perhaps someone in the
net can recall the maker(s?) and knows if they are still in business. I
confess that I never found any performance difference, except that I got rid
of my problem with misfire after high rpm (and I didn't have to regap the
plugs after every run).
--
	billD	(..seismo!rochester!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen)
		(davidsen@GE-CRD.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."